M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML GOD: Many questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML500
ML GOD: Many questions...

I have an '02 ML500 that is giving me headaches. I will keep the whining short and get straight to the questions:

1. I have a horrible brake squeal. MB has replaced the pads, then turned the rotors, then replaced pads & rotors and now has replaced the pads with EBC SUV/Green Stuff. The squealing is worse than ever. It does not matter whether the brakes are cold or hot, going forward or backward, hard or soft. They just sound *BAD*. You know it is bad when the driver of a dilapidated Olds Ninety-Eight turned and looked as I was braking to a red light.

2. The Bose "Audio Pilot" volume control adjusts erratically. This is a similar problem I had on my 350Z, but disabled it at the microphone with a simple $1 resistor from Radio Shack. It insults my intelligence that car manufacturers assume I am too lazy, or stupid, to adjust the volume control myself.

3. With the climate control on 'AUTO', an outside temperature of 50 degrees, and the climate control set to 74 degrees, the air conditioner is blowing cold air non-stop. Once the heat is turned up to 78-80 degrees, the cabin will begin to warm, but then hot air is blowing through the vents. MB says that there are no problem codes.

This should be a nice little appetizer for you. Looking forward to your response.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:20 PM

I am looking into your complaints, i will let you know what I find
Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 320i
Hi,

First your brake squeal problem is most likely a bad brake caliper. Have the Dealer check all 4 calipers. One of the 4 is sticking. A common problem with disk brakes but this is the first time I heard of this on a Mercedes.

I cannot help you on your Bose problem. Sorry.

Third problem is not a problem. This is normal operation for the climate control in the ML. If you don’t like the AC being on just turn it off and use the climate control in manual mode. I personally never use the climate control in automatic.

Good Luck,

Steven
Old 01-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes Benz ML500
Originally posted by Harder
First your brake squeal problem is most likely a bad brake caliper.
I am reluctant to think that the caliper is the problem since the sound is clearly coming from 3 of 4 corners. What is the likelihood that 3 calipers are bad? I still think that some apprentice trainee is doing the brake work at MB here. Otherwise, they are farming the work out to Midas, or similar.

This is normal operation for the climate control in the ML. If you don’t like the AC being on just turn it off and use the climate control in manual mode. I personally never use the climate control in automatic.
It is not that the AC is on, but that the climate control is blowing COLD air when it is 50 degrees outside. This all after the car has warmed. The MB automatic climate control has got to be the worst ever. My Nissans' climate control systems are superior in their simplicity of design and ease of operation. I think someone in Stuttgart was a little overzealous and over-engineered this little gizmo. Moreover, I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle.

K - Keep
I - It
S - Simple
S - Stupid
Old 01-08-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
#1 problem, i dont tink there is a fix for it yet.
#2 You may need a new amp.
#3 you may need a new in car temperature sensor (wich i tink is in the climate control push button).
This is only a opinion.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: ML GOD: Many questions...

Originally posted by GamblerZ
I have an '02 ML500 that is giving me headaches. I will keep the whining short and get straight to the questions:

1. I have a horrible brake squeal. MB has replaced the pads, then turned the rotors, then replaced pads & rotors and now has replaced the pads with EBC SUV/Green Stuff. The squealing is worse than ever. It does not matter whether the brakes are cold or hot, going forward or backward, hard or soft. They just sound *BAD*. You know it is bad when the driver of a dilapidated Olds Ninety-Eight turned and looked as I was braking to a red light.

2. The Bose "Audio Pilot" volume control adjusts erratically. This is a similar problem I had on my 350Z, but disabled it at the microphone with a simple $1 resistor from Radio Shack. It insults my intelligence that car manufacturers assume I am too lazy, or stupid, to adjust the volume control myself.

3. With the climate control on 'AUTO', an outside temperature of 50 degrees, and the climate control set to 74 degrees, the air conditioner is blowing cold air non-stop. Once the heat is turned up to 78-80 degrees, the cabin will begin to warm, but then hot air is blowing through the vents. MB says that there are no problem codes.

This should be a nice little appetizer for you. Looking forward to your response.
MB came out with an updated pad a while back and it has fixed the squealing for everyone i talked to, make sure the dealer is using the new pads.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:29 PM

Re: ML GOD: Many questions...

Originally posted by GamblerZ

Okay your brake squeek isnot from bad calipers. Your dealer needs to replace the pads and rotors, then there is a certain kind of paste we are putting on the pads. where they slide on the caliper brackets.

There is a DTB for your radio complaint, have our dealer look into it.

As far as your climate control. It could be a lot of things I havent see any pattern failers for the system yet. If you had a bad in-car temp sensor then it would set a code for that.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 PM

ML500
don't replace the pads....

keep the EBC pads, just make sure the factory stainless shim pieces are still there. Pull out the pads, put a thin coat of hi-temp disc brake grease on each side of the shim & re-install. This will stop the squealing.
I had the same problem with mine, they're quiet now!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
The brake past did not fix the brake squeel 100%.
The in car sensor wiil leave a fault code if it has a open circuit or a short, not if it`s out of range.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Had the same problem that you are experiencing with my 02 ML500, except I never experienced the audio pilot problem. After 6 complete changes of pads and rotors MB came out with a new part number pad. This solved the problem although I notice this winter some very mild squeal when the brakes are cold. I can live with that. Re the climate control, my dealer changed the sun sensor and that solved that one. Had numerous others mostly with the new stuff for 02 when I took delivery in Aug 01. While I really like driving this thing it has had many more problems than my 98 ML320 had. I will say that my dealer is excellent and knocks himself out to satisfy me.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Mercedes Benz ML500
I've forwarded everyones comments to MB already this evening. Hopefully, they will get these problems resolved within the next few days.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML500
I have the same problem with my sound system and teh dealer has been unable to fix it. What is this DTB? Should I point them at it?