M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Please helpa n00b with an ML purchase dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please helpa n00b with an ML purchase dilemma

The lease on my current vehicle (2002 BMW M3 convertible which is so sweet I can hardly stand it) ends in January. My wife and I need some hauling capacity (and hopefully soon baby capacity) that the M3 simply doesn't provide.

We've tested many many vehicles (Cayenne S, Touareg, XC90, X5, Durango, Pacifica, RX330) and despite the fact that they're a little long in tooth and don't quite have the road manners of some of the newer car based vehicles, we prefer the ML500 to all of them.

I have two primary concerns about buying or leasing one at this point (I would shoot for a January delivery):

1) quality
2) new model release just after I take delivery

I've done as much research as I know how, including reading lots on this on other forums. I'm hoping you guys will weigh in with (still more) opinions. If it's likely that the new ML will come out for May delivery I can stomach waiting I think. If it's more likely to be the end of the year, I don't think I can be w/o a vehicle for that long.

Also, the current ML500 can be had for quite a significant discount and attractive lease terms as you guys probably know, something I assume would not be the case on the 06 model.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Tony
Old 08-20-2004, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Well as far as quality, you must have seen a lot of opinions here on the boards - from '02-on, the ML is not a bad car - it essentially matches the build quality of something like a C-Class.

As far as buying an ML in January, that'll depend on how long you plan to keep the car for -- in other words, how much will the resale price matter to you? The W164 will be delivered somewhere between January and May - it will definitely not be any later than that. When the W164's comes out though, current ML's (W163's) will likely drop down a bit in value, as happens with any new generation of a car.

However, there is one other thing to consider. The current model has been around since late '97 and by '02 almost all of the major bugs were worked out, from which time the car remains essentially unchanged (except for new 'special editions,' the change in the V6 model from the 3.2 to the 3.7L engine, etc.). So basically, you won't be facing any 'new' issues that haven't already been dealt with. With the next-gen ML, if you buy one right when it comes out, you'll be buying one of the first models out the door. As with any new car (regardless of what make, model, etc.), there will always be some initial glitches to work out, so I'd suggest if you want the W164, get it at least a month or two after release (e.g. maybe June-July-ish)...

Also, of course with the current model, it's not too hard to get a good deal on one, whereas with the new model, dealers will not sell it for a dime under MSRP and many will extract large sums from those eager to buy the very first ones out...

Hope this helps

-----------------------
EDIT: See here for some info/pics of the W164 (as well as some of MB's other upcoming SUV's):

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/78674-06-m-class-g-class-r-class-b-class-smart-formore.html

Last edited by amb9800; 08-20-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:41 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Sound like you've done your homework. I'd go for the ML500 now. Even if the new model comes out soon it may have the usual "new release pains" many have experienced and BTW pics I've seen don't show me much difference from the current body. Some have described it as more "Lexus-like", God help us! I bought an '03 ML350 and don't regret the choice. LOL with your decision.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:22 PM

I'd be reluctant to buy the new generation ML. As the others have said, the first model year of any car is going to have issues. This is a good time to purchase a recent vintage (02+) ML. Buying used with a Starmark warranty probably offers you the best bang for the buck.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2004, 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. BTW Mbakshi I had seen that prior post of yours - an excellent compilation of info! Well done!

I guess at the end of the day you guys are saying what I'm thinking. Sometimes it helps to get a little extra validation on things like this though, you know? So thanks! I hear you completely about 1st model year issues (and as we know in some cases it can take > a year to resolve those issues). I figure this end-of-life ML500 will have as good a quality level as its ever had, and a 3 year lease (the way I'm currently leaning) will carry me to the point where the new ML should have its kinks firmly worked out.

I'll definitely suffer from latest and greatest envy (it's in my nature) but I think I can handle it... The things I'll be most jealous of are interior feature improvements (perhaps a rear seat entertainment set up, etc), but I can deal with that!

Anyway, thanks again.
-TM
Old 08-20-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I am a Mercedes Tech and I bought an '04 ML500. I think that speaks pretty loudly for its reliability. Very little goes wrong with the new ML models.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:51 AM

Thanks SaturnStyl. I've decided to go with the '05 ML500. Dealers around here (NYC) are quoting in the lo-mid 6's for a 36 month, 10k mi/yr lease for a fairly loaded (i.e. $51-52k sticker) car, about $4k due at signing. If I should be doing much better than that, someone please let me know! anthonymoody@hotmail.com....

Thanks!
TM
Old 08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
i have owned several ml's...several, and my 04 500 has been the most reliable. that includes the ml55's ive owned. i say definitely go for it... plus the 06 isnt going to be perfect, no first run is.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:18 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I haven't had any issues with my ML. Great car. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 09-01-2004, 02:52 PM

Thanks again guys. I'm angling toward the 05, loaded ML500. I have quotes from 3 dealers on price and they're all within spitting distance of one another, so if I do it it'll probably be the dealer with the best service (one near me will pick up and drop off the vehicle for service - and leave you a loaner if needed...).

Thanks,
TM

PS - in case anyone else is interested, according to one dealer the very last date an 05 ML can be ordered is 10/04. They'll be taking prelim orders for 06 after that with delivery still slated for April/May, perhaps a month later.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:03 AM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
To further everyone's enthusiasm, I had a $55k Escalade for a year and had to have GM repurchase it because of all of it's problems. In fact, I had it for 14 months and when I handed it in, the interior looked like it was 15 years old! I'm not kidding. After that, we looked at ALL the SUV alternatives: new, used, american, and imports. I can say that across the board, used american SUVs looked like sh_t after ONE year and all Mercedes and BMWs looked new.

That's why I decided on an 04ML350. That car seemed to age well, and even though some on this forum think it may benefit from further quality improvements, it already is light-years ahead of most of its competitors, particularly of the homeland type. I've had mine for a week and am loving it thus far. Even the 3.7L engine is pretty impressive for a 6-cylinder machine.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:44 AM

ML55
I'd say go with the current ML, wait a year, two or three, then trade-in for a new model ML. By that time most if not all glitches, problems, or recalls are behind you, and gives you some space to see if any facelifts are on the way.
I am on the verge of trading in my '03 with a '05 special edition and then doing the do and waiting for 3 years.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Probably a little late here, but why not the X5? With no kids and mabe one

in a year or two, the X5 may be a better option for you. It's problems are on par with the ML (maybe a bit more) but you also get the 4/50 free maintenence, something you will not get with MY05+ MLs (not that matters to me but something to think about).

Personally, I'd opt for the MY05 ML - it just seems to be a better "Jack of All Trades", period. Do not get the new body style for any reason whatsoever. MB has made loads of improvements on MY04-05 and these improvements (which, BTW are excellent manifestations in the latestt surveys!!!) and these will be carried over to the new body style. But there will be more issues - just look at the new E-Klasse!!!