M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Which OBD11 unit to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 02:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ML500
Which OBD11 unit to buy

I need to get a OBD11 scanner/reader.
A simple oil change is now a darn computerised system for idiots.(extra computer controlled electrics and sensors to tell you to spend money)
This never made motoring easier, just more hassle as stupid sensors can fail your MOT, when nothing is actaully wrong, and you get christmas tree lights all over th dashboard, to further annoy you. was not needed in the past, and is still not needed present day, unless people do not go to school to learn anything these days, except how to use a iphone glued to there hands.
I have a cheap handheld code reader, but this is all, it lets you do a couple of re-sets, but no use for anything..
I have found three different nodels.
Any feedback on which one I should go for out of these three i found and like.

1. ANCEL X7 OBD2 Scanner Full System IMMO ABS Oil EPB DPF Reset Car Diagnostic Tool £329
2. Autel MD808 Pro All System OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Scanner DPF ABS SRS MD806 PRO £235
3. OBD2 Fault Code Reader Scanner Engine Car Diagnostic Reset Tool LAUNCH CRP PRO 3 £379

Not bothered about the price differences, only have any of you used any of these before?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Forget the kiddy scanners. Invest in an XDOS system
The following users liked this post:
silver ml500 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Autel MD808 Pro All System OBD2.
The following users liked this post:
silver ml500 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 04:12 PM

ML500
Is this exclusive to mercedes, as i have other vehilces also, and only need it for a one off from time to time, It will save me having to drive to a garage I know to get them to re-set lights etc that pop up from time to time as the UK is instant fail on any lights now.
I don't run diesel cars, so no DPF worries etc,
I will be able to do my own services and re-set the systems in the ECU's.
i also do not have brand new vehicles.
I will look up what you have said, thanks
Old 11-22-2020, 04:23 PM

ML500
not sure what this system is, looks like it hooks up to computer, so not wanting this, just a plug-in garage scanner out of the box ready to go.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by silver ml500
Is this exclusive to mercedes, as i have other vehilces also, and only need it for a one off from time to time, It will save me having to drive to a garage I know to get them to re-set lights etc that pop up from time to time as the UK is instant fail on any lights now.
I don't run diesel cars, so no DPF worries etc,
I will be able to do my own services and re-set the systems in the ECU's.
i also do not have brand new vehicles.
I will look up what you have said, thanks
You have to indicate who you are asking the question to..

If you are referring to the Autel Scanner, it is not for M/B only. It can be used for any vehicle manufacturer.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:31 AM

ML500
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
You have to indicate who you are asking the question to...
I just noticed this, Thanks Dundee, I clicked under the other persons quick reply, as i thought that would show i was replying to him, but as you have just pointed out, it just puts anything under the last comment, regardless of who you respond to.
Plutoe through me a curve with his suggestion and knowledge of something I did not know about, so went loooking before I made an informed choice as always open to different opinions.

I am not going for the XDOS system, two reasons, one, I have victorian copper cable only, so can type, but cannot download ot watch videos, so not able to go near the download site of the XDOS files needed. I lose my connection all through the day every day, so not happening with the XDOS for me.
It looks like the XDOS system is exclusive to the Mercedes, but no doubt, you download other vehicles as needed.
Also if it needs a laptop to be used as the screen, then this is also out. I own in house tower PC's networked as have no time for laptops, or iphones, so no, i am not connected and available 24/7 to be bombarded with rubbish all and every day simply trying to read a text message or email, or my every word and thought monitored, and my every move on the planet looked at.

I have no mobile signal for just over 7 miles where I live, BLISS, which involves having to drive out of the mountians here to lower and more open countryside.
I also do not a TV or have any TV reception in the valley I live in either.

I have a telephone and an emergency life-line connected to the phone, so am very happy up here in the middle of no-where with just me and mother nature all day long.

So I am back to the three I originally found that 1000's of garages and MOT test stations use in house.
This is the reason I asked out of these three which does anyone suggest or know about.

It looks like all three do the exact same job for what I need, so I agree with you on your choice and wil go for the cheapest of the three as they all do mostly the same thing.

Thanks for the help and reply.

Last edited by silver ml500; 11-23-2020 at 07:36 AM. Reason: speeling errors
Old 01-09-2021, 01:48 PM

ML500
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
You have to indicate who you are asking the question to..

If you are referring to the Autel Scanner, it is not for M/B only. It can be used for any vehicle manufacturer.
I eventually got round to buying a scanner.
I already have a small code reader that is good at clearing MIL lights etc for an MOT, but this is about all.

I have opted for an Autel MaxiPRO MP808
Not expecting it to be up to the par of specialized dealer equipment and functions, but should be able to sort out basic things like oil change and re-set of service lights.

I could have got what is known as a grey item, meaning cheaper, but then you cannot hook-up and get live help or any form of help, so bought from a verified supplier of Autel units here in the UK.
For this I paid probably £200 more than a grey item, but it will pay for itself over a couple of years no problem, so no real loss.

It cost me £550 delivered to me, with 1 full year of updates and subscription to the worlds Autel Community, which is bigger and more advanced than I expected. It allows me to be live via wi-fi to Autel, so if a code or problem I do not understand arrises, others at the other end will take me through it to help.

My disabilities and brain injury hamper me, so carers help me, but the covid lock-downs are also stopping me enjoy life right now, and millions of us also being affected.

Autel MaxiPRO MP808.

My hardest part is updating the unit online as I only have an old victorian copper cable travelling some 16 miles from the exchange box, so I have what has been recorded as the slowest connection in the entire UK, at only 0.03M/B's per second, which frequently drops out.
So updating the system is looking like it is going to take me over 1 week of constant connection to my wi-fi box coming through the telephone line.
I have no mobile phone reception, so also a blessing to me up here.
Also no TV reception.
So people had better be able to be happy in themselves or they will go insane up here, lol
Old 01-10-2021, 03:36 PM

ML500
Still updating, so have to keep checking the battery level over many hours.
The system is so cheap (I know it looks good, but the insides are a cheap nasty processer and bits), which I knew when I was buying it.
The problem is the daft unit does not turn off when fully charged on the charge side, just keeps the current going in, so you will ruin the battery pack in days if you keep the charger plugged in.

The same problem as older mobile phones, you have to let them run down and out before re-charging or you lose the battery life in days and suddenly are left with a unit that needs constant power to even turn on or run.

I mentioned the extremely slow internet speed I have up in the mountains. Here it is.

48 K/bs =0.04 M/Bs
480 K/bs =0.4 M/Bs
4800 K/bs =4.8 M/Bs
(I have rounded then down to 1000, instead of the 1024 bits per Meg for quick compare). Soon into the third day of updating the unit.

This means I cannot stream or even open/watch any videos online, and even some websites heavy with images and text, like online newspapers will not open my end.
But I have shear bliss of mother nature and life, away from large towns and cities of people.