M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Automatic transmission shifter module water intrusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 2001model
Automatic transmission shifter module water intrusion

Some water rain faced to my automatic transmission shifter module and the shifter stacked in parking shift. Then I used the emergency button below “D” shifter and when I try to drive it didn’t change to the next gear to speed up. Any suggestions to solve this please?
Old 07-23-2024, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 ml320
If water got into the electronics of your shifter, by the symptoms you describe, you will need to replace your shifter. Do you have a code reader that you can use to scan your vehicle?

I sure wish I new what goes into fixing a shifter as I have 3 of them in my garage.

see thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...350-p0705.html
Old 07-23-2024, 08:48 AM

ML 320 2001model
Originally Posted by analystguy
If water got into the electronics of your shifter, by the symptoms you describe, you will need to replace your shifter. Do you have a code reader that you can use to scan your vehicle?

I sure wish I new what goes into fixing a shifter as I have 3 of them in my garage.

Old 07-23-2024, 09:43 AM

2001 ml320
If you pop a new one or known good used one in having the exact same part number you should be good to go after clearing any codes.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:10 PM

ML 320 2001model
If you pop a new one or known good used one in having the exact same part number you should be good to go after clearing any codes.
noted, can I repair the electric module through electrician to fix some issues using micro welding. What can you advise?
Old 07-23-2024, 02:45 PM

ML 320 2001model

Also would you please kindly tell me on how to clear the codes? Thanks
Old Yesterday, 05:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 ML 320/95 Ford F150 4x4/Harley Davidson 03 FLHRCI in vivid black
Originally Posted by Suraphel

ouchie,,, I have recently had leaks at sunroof drains and cowel drains. Both of those leaked down the A pillar sides. Last week i noticed a small drop from the overhead light down to that area. That was after yl was at the self serve carwash
Try to track that down before going to dealer, junk yard or ebay. No point in replacing equipment and still dodging a water issue. You night try a good spray down with MAF SENSOR cleaner, or electrical parts cleaner then hair dryer or sit in the car with the A/C on for several minutes.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

2001 ml320
I echo Dfixit1's comment.The design of the sunroof A pillar drains are prone to plug up above the grommet that feeds the drain tube to the exterior of the vehicle. It could be that the entire drain tube is compromised and you have a small leak from the overhead console that then leaks onto your shift console. I would first understand just where the leak originates and go from there.

As for clearing the codes, you will need an OBD2 reader. There are lots of suggestions over in the Diagnostic forum on this website. I personally use an inexpensive bi-directional Bluetooth scanner from YOUCANIC as it supports all my vehicles BMW, RAM MBenz. I am happy with the extra functionality afforded by the relatively low incremental cost compared to cheaper check engine light scanners and updates are free for 3 years. I am not trying to sell anything, just letting you know that this tools so far has allowed me to get into every module in my W163 allowing a precise diagnosis at minimal cost.

Like you I thought of fixing the electrical damage to my shifter. I personally couldn't find any visual evidence of component or board damage nor could I find anyone willing to trace the electronics. I did try using electronics cleaner and mild heat to evaporate the cleaner but that proved fruitless. Not to discourage you though - good luck if you go this route! If you find something, please share.
The following users liked this post:
Dfixit1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Suraphel
Also would you please kindly tell me on how to clear the codes? Thanks
some codes will clear if you disconnect the battery {-} for a few minutes. Otherwise you will need to find a good Indie shop that works on MB, Buy a reasonable code reader, that may not get all of them but thats a good start and I'll bet you money that you will use the code reader/clearer as time goes by.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dfixit1
ouchie,,, I have recently had leaks at sunroof drains and cowel drains. Both of those leaked down the A pillar sides. Last week i noticed a small drop from the overhead light down to that area. That was after yl was at the self serve carwash
Try to track that down before going to dealer, junk yard or ebay. No point in replacing equipment and still dodging a water issue. You night try a good spray down with MAF SENSOR cleaner, or electrical parts cleaner then hair dryer or sit in the car with the A/C on for several minutes.
That board and inside caselook poo-poed. It might be best to try and start with some cleaner. The main chip looks like all the corrosion build up might be a good place to start.
Old Today, 12:15 PM

ML 320 2001model
Originally Posted by Dfixit1
some codes will clear if you disconnect the battery {-} for a few minutes. Otherwise you will need to find a good Indie shop that works on MB, Buy a reasonable code reader, that may not get all of them but thats a good start and I'll bet you money that you will use the code reader/clearer as time goes by.
I disassemble the circuit board and try to clean and check every components. Then I am thinking of clearing the codes by removing -ve terminal of the battery. I will update you the final result.