M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

H&R Lowered ML, w/BBS 18x10's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ML320
Cool H&R Lowered ML, w/BBS 18x10's

This is my second time trying to post this. The last time, the subject said HELP !! and most people don't like whiners and it did not get looked at very much and only got a total of 2 responses. Now I know that a lot of you have lowered your ML's and that I am not alone here, so here goes the post again. The only difference this time is that I know it is the traction control chattering. Can't figure out why it only does it when I do left sweeper higher speed turns (40MPH +)

I recently lowered my 99 ML320 with H&R Springs, and put Michelin 285 VR55 x 18 tires on BBS 18 x 10's. It looks awesome, and handles even more awesome, but something started happening that I cannot explain:

When I take a long LEFT HAND sweeper freeway on or off ramp, and take it hard, the yellow Hazard triangle in the middle of my speedo starts flashing and I hear weird noises coming from the front end. It does not happen when I do sweeper right turns, but only left ones.

If I drive it normal, it does not do this. Anyone else ever have that happen? I appreciate all responses.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:23 PM

ML 320
Unhappy

Transfer case going bad!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:00 PM

MERCEDES, JAGUAR, PORSCHE
How much did it cost you????

Please let everyone know the cost of the the hardware and the labor to do the "low-rider" installation???

A picture would be greatly appreciated!

I have been thinking about doing it, but I keep reading about the harsher ride when you lower your auto's profile.

Thanks!

JOHN

Last edited by jfitzoz; 06-21-2002 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:40 PM

99 ML320
Lowering costs

The H&R Springs can be had for a mere $200.00, another $200.00 to install them, The front suspension is torsion bar and can be adjusted lower to match the rear at the same time the springs are installed. I was charged an additional $50.00 for the torsion bar lowering.

Bilstein Shocks, which i have still not puchased are about $100.00 each so add $400.00 to the mix. The correct Part Numbers for the ML Bilsteins are F4-BE5-2985-HO & F4-BE5-2983-HO

Now comes wheels and tires. The Tire rack is a viable option, but so is the Recycler and Ebay. if you are really looking for a bargain, do what I did and be patient and wait until something shows up. I didn't have to wait long until some guy posted his 18 x 10 BBS with Michelin VRs on Ebay for $1800.00. Incidentally this was the very setup I was eyeing at Tire Rack but had not taken the plunge to purchase just yet. Tire Rack's price for the same gettup was about $3300.00 shipped, so I saved a bundle.

Now the ride. You do lose a little bit of comfort wih this setup but it is not very noticeable. Thank God I live in Southern California where the roads are mostly "Pot-Hole Free"
But I do have to point out that I did this to make my ML handle better, and it handles 300% better. If anyone asks me if they should do it, I can't say GO FOR IT fast enough. My center of gravity is lower, the patch of rubber touching the ground is bigger, and that results in better handling all around, not to mention that the beefy wheels and tires Look GREAT on my ML. I will post some pictures as soon as I get my new digital camera.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Hey Julio

Who did your lowering install...are they local in L.A.???

Regards
Richard
Old 07-01-2002, 04:49 AM

1998 ML320
Is there any changes in the fuel consumption in your car?
Please post some photos and best wishes to you in future upgrades.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:19 PM

2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 F250 Superduty, 2007 VW Jetta
hey JC...

post some pics... im thinking of doing the same... so how did the springs help without getting the shocks to match the new spring rate? does it bounce a lot?
Old 03-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML430
JC, here are some reccommendations

First, The tires you should put on the ML for 18 inch size wheels are 285/50/18's. Since you have 55 series tires, your overall tire diameter is larger by about 4.4% than stock. This could affect it. Also, make sure when you lowered it, you compensated for the camber adjustment. Lastly make sure your tires are inflated to the correct pressure.

Hope that helps
Old 03-02-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
well

aside from the fact that the current wheel/tire diameter is too large people really should consider the fact that most people who want to buy ml's or any other good brand will not pay fair market value for mods that YOU think are important. ride comfort is a big part of why the majority of owners drive an ml. a high percentage if you pay attention [ not posters DRIVERS] are women. they couldnt care less about silly rims or lowering. they just want comfort and safety. this is not to say that doing those mods is bad but it is to say that you probably will not deal with a sympathetic person when it comes time to trade it in.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
well

aside from the fact that the current wheel/tire diameter is too large people really should consider the fact that most people who want to buy ml's or any other good brand will not pay fair market value for mods that YOU think are important. ride comfort is a big part of why the majority of owners drive an ml. a high percentage if you pay attention [ not posters DRIVERS] are women. they couldnt care less about silly rims or lowering. they just want comfort and safety. this is not to say that doing those mods is bad but it is to say that you probably will not deal with a sympathetic person when it comes time to trade it in.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:56 PM

Just happen to be passsing through...thinking of buying a ML430 as tow vehicle for my track car. Anyhoo, can't say precisely what your problem is, but when I installed a set of HRs in my 911 (2000 996 C2) they were initially misadjusted. The bottom perches were not down low enough so the the sway bar was making contact with the rear control arms which limited the travel of the suspension and caused some serious loss of contact during corning (this was noted during an autocross and the car would stick stick stick then wham....rear end would step out horribly). Again I have no experience with the MB install, but if the front has adjustable perches for the front sway bar, you might have a similar problem. If so you would see a mark were contact occured on the top of the sway bar. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:18 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by rjmann
Just happen to be passsing through...thinking of buying a ML430 as tow vehicle for my track car.
MLs work well, even with a really porky Uhaul trailer.

Old 03-03-2003, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
The new truck looks sweet pete! Hope you are going to shut the window on the porsche before driving off! .
BTW, I still can't get the aim right on the lights! It seems kinda dim on the road. Could you take some pics of your lights for me, like on the wall?
Old 03-03-2003, 12:53 AM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by AlBoston
The new truck looks sweet pete! Hope you are going to shut the window on the porsche before driving off! .
Actually, that was after I rescued it from the track. Window was down the whole way because I couldn't open the door (cheapo trailer) and had to crawl out of the window NASCAR stylie.

BTW, I still can't get the aim right on the lights! It seems kinda dim on the road. Could you take some pics of your lights for me, like on the wall?
Didn't the dealer align them for you?

I'll try to get a picture. My driveway is sloped so garage door pics don't work well.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
MLs work well, even with a really porky Uhaul trailer.
Indeed your rig does truly look tres cool! BTW, Red brakes are a particularly nice touch! I suppose this is a bit off topic, but as you have experience towing, I'll ask. I presume that your ML is a 430/500/55 variant. Is it reasonable to tow with a 320/50? I will be towing an aluminum trailer and a '73 911 RS Clone. The whole package with an extra set or two of wheels and some spares should conservatively weigh in just north of 3500 lbs. Sustantially less weight than a steel uhaul trailer and a Turbo or a C4S. I know the 320 is rated to tow beyond that, but can it really do the job? Non-local events mean about an 8 to 10 hour drive for me, so I'd like to make the drive as relaxed as possible. Is a V8 really necessary? As I only tow a few times a year, I don't generically need the extra performance of the V8, I'd be happier if I could get away with the V6 for the fuel economy, lower initial cost etc. (more $$$ to pump into the track car eh ) OTOH, I don't want to feel totally underpowered when I do tow. Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
Actually, that was after I rescued it from the track. Window was down the whole way because I couldn't open the door (cheapo trailer) and had to crawl out of the window NASCAR stylie.

Didn't the dealer align them for you?

I'll try to get a picture. My driveway is sloped so garage door pics don't work well.
hehe, thats such a sweet car though. I got the dealer to align them but they were aimed so far down i couldn't see like 20 feet ahead of me. I am taking it back to them tommorow i hope.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:28 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Indeed your rig does truly look tres cool! BTW, Red brakes are a particularly nice touch!
They are stock and are good for 10 hp.

I suppose this is a bit off topic, but as you have experience towing, I'll ask. I presume that your ML is a 430/500/55 variant. Is it reasonable to tow with a 320/50? I will be towing an aluminum trailer and a '73 911 RS Clone. The whole package with an extra set or two of wheels and some spares should conservatively weigh in just north of 3500 lbs.
I don't have any direct experience towing with a 320/350 but with the weight you will be towing it should be fine.

I was at around 5500 lbs with the Uhaul and it tracked/cornered very well.

The V8 is pretty torquey so I had no problems with acceleration.

I have heard many good reports from folks towing boats with 320s.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:29 PM

'82 turbo yugo
hehe, thats such a sweet car though. I got the dealer to align them but they were aimed so far down i couldn't see like 20 feet ahead of me. I am taking it back to them tommorow i hope.
Same thing happened when my dealer aligned my set on the 430.

I raised them myself by turning the white adjustment knobs.