M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Bluetooth volume problems (crosspost)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi mb bmw
Bluetooth volume problems (crosspost)

Not sure if I have a faulty unit or not so before I go complain to my dealer, is this a known problem with the bluetooth implementation on the W164? My 'problem' is that the bluetooth volume seems to be too low even when turned up to the maximum from both ends (caller's voice sounds too muted and caller complains that my voice is too muted from the other end). The sound levels in general seem too low even when turned up to the max, but the problem is more significant with the in-car speaker volume rather than the mic as heard by the caller on the other end.

Also, is there a way to keep the telephone volume at maximum and keep it that way even when restarting the car? Everytime I get in the car and make my first call, I always have to turn up the phone volume because it seems to default at a barely audible level. It's quite annoying to have to fiddle with the volume everytime I makea first call. I looked in the online owner's manual and can't find an answer. My dealer is mailing me a new copy of the owner's manual because I seemed to have misplaced mine.

If it matters, I have a 2007 ML63, May build with the factory iPod kit and 6CD changer in the glove box.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM

2006 C350
I have the Bluetooth in my truck w/ factory iPod and 6-Disc also. I haven't had any problems w/ the volume. I actually find myself turning down the volume a little because it feels like someone is yelling at me. The ration between microphone and speaker seem to be off, because when I do that it seems that I have to speak louder, but when the volume is up and the other person is loud I can speak in normal tone. Kinda wierd.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Two questions: What kind of phone do you have and what is the part number of the Bluetooth adapter in you ML?

Going way back in history to the days of AMPS (analogue) cellular phone service, the MB phone system was designed by and for use in conjunction with Motorola and their phones. The legacy of that relationship has continued to this day in that the phone system in the current cars is really designed to support Motorola phones and the peculiar way they do things. Support for any other type of phone and their various interfaces is either a “hack” or serendipity. Thus, if you don't have a Motorola phone, you're already into potential compatibility issues.

MB / Peiker (the manufacturers of the MB Bluetooth module) have been trying to address some of these issues. Blackberry phones, because they are ubiquitous in the business community – the very community that buys MB cars – are the most recent target for support. MB released a new module, part No. B6 787 5878, which goes a little beyond the limited Motorola paradigm and is thus serendipitously a little more compatible with other manufacturers phones. The new firmware also addresses other issues as well (I've heard volume issues may be included). Be sure you have this new version.

BTW, some phones allow volume adjustment on the handset as well as on the Bluetooth "headset" (the car) when connected via Bluetooth. If yours is one of them, be sure you have the volume turned all the way up at the handset. Most with this functionality "remember" the volume setting for each “profile” of which the Hands free Bluetooth profile is one.

I hope this helps,

- FD
Old 06-15-2007, 03:00 PM

audi mb bmw
Originally Posted by Floobydust
Two questions: What kind of phone do you have and what is the part number of the Bluetooth adapter in you ML?

Going way back in history to the days of AMPS (analogue) cellular phone service, the MB phone system was designed by and for use in conjunction with Motorola and their phones. The legacy of that relationship has continued to this day in that the phone system in the current cars is really designed to support Motorola phones and the peculiar way they do things. Support for any other type of phone and their various interfaces is either a “hack” or serendipity. Thus, if you don't have a Motorola phone, you're already into potential compatibility issues.

MB / Peiker (the manufacturers of the MB Bluetooth module) have been trying to address some of these issues. Blackberry phones, because they are ubiquitous in the business community – the very community that buys MB cars – are the most recent target for support. MB released a new module, part No. B6 787 5878, which goes a little beyond the limited Motorola paradigm and is thus serendipitously a little more compatible with other manufacturers phones. The new firmware also addresses other issues as well (I've heard volume issues may be included). Be sure you have this new version.

BTW, some phones allow volume adjustment on the handset as well as on the Bluetooth "headset" (the car) when connected via Bluetooth. If yours is one of them, be sure you have the volume turned all the way up at the handset. Most with this functionality "remember" the volume setting for each “profile” of which the Hands free Bluetooth profile is one.

I hope this helps,

- FD
I use a Motorola PEBL and a Motorola KRZR, and both have the volume issues. I am unable to check the part number of the module you speak of but if by chance I have the older version, is it simply a matter of a software/firmware update or do I have to purchase the new module?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:21 PM

To check the part number you go inside the armrest and push the small black pen sized button down, then pull the module back. The part number is on the bottom starting with a B
Originally Posted by masmole
I use a Motorola PEBL and a Motorola KRZR, and both have the volume issues. I am unable to check the part number of the module you speak of but if by chance I have the older version, is it simply a matter of a software/firmware update or do I have to purchase the new module?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 PM

audi mb bmw
Originally Posted by 1sicknickel
To check the part number you go inside the armrest and push the small black pen sized button down, then pull the module back. The part number is on the bottom starting with a B
I just checked. Looks like I have the older module. Part# B6 787 5839. This was what the dealer put in my car when I took delivery of the car only 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised they did not use the latest version of the module. Not to be a cynic, but I wonder if they were trying to get rid of an older part that's been sitting on the shelf. What should I do? Complain to my dealer and request the newer part for (hopefully) no extra charge?

Last edited by masmole; 06-15-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:06 PM

That is strange they are still giving out the older BT Module because the new one came out about 1.5 months ago. I would suggest just going to the dealer and ask them to exchange the module out, because you wanted the new version which you "heard" is better and also has more versatility with newer phones.
Originally Posted by masmole
I just checked. Looks like I have the older module. Part# B6 787 5839. This was what the dealer put in my car when I took delivery of the car only 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised they did not use the latest version of the module. Not to be a cynic, but I wonder if they were trying to get rid of an older part that's been sitting on the shelf. What should I do? Complain to my dealer and request the newer part for (hopefully) no extra charge?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:46 PM

audi mb bmw
Update: Contacted my dealer and they were very apologetic about mistakenly giving me the older module. A new module is in stock has been reserved for me and that I could drop by at my convenience to swap my older module for it. Hopefully that will fix my volume issues.