M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Great news! The iPhone works with the MB bluetooth system perfectly and then some...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi mb bmw
Great news! The iPhone works with the MB bluetooth system perfectly and then some...

Well at least it works perfectly with the MHI Bluetooth interface module (part# B6 787 5878) in my ML63.

The phone pairs instantly with the car every time I get in and start up, and even the iPhone's contact list is fully uploaded. Even voice commands to dial contacts that I've trained it for works. I'm happy to report that bluetooth functionality works flawlessly and even the reception is better than my previous phone (Motorola PEBL) when I keep it in my pocket.

I also have the factory iPod interface in my ML and when I plug the iPhone to that cable, it works exactly like my regular iPod nano and allows selection of songs/playlists/etc from the steering wheel controls and displays song info on the in-dash multifunction display. It charges my iPhone like it does my iPod as well. Sweet! I don't even have to buy a car charger for my new phone. The only very minor issue is that when I plug the iPhone in to the MB iPod interface, the iPhone pops up a message about how I've just connected an "unapproved accessory" and asked me if I wanted to set the iPhone to "airplane mode" to avoid possible radio interference. I just ignore this and the iPhone continues to function as a phone and an iPod just fine without any apparent audio interference.

To my surprise, when I receive a call on the iPhone while I'm playing music from it as connected via the interface, both ends actually transition into the phone call without a hitch: the MB COMAND system mutes the radio, activates the bluetooth connection with the iPhone, and in turn, the iPhone pauses the song it was currently playing and goes into phone mode. Once I'm finished with my call, the COMAND automatically switches back to the iPod interface and the iPhone continues playing the song from where it left off. Neither system missed a beat. Dual functionality and dual interface between one car and one handheld device with seamless switching of functions. Effing brilliant! I'm actually shocked by how well it works.

I wish I could say the same for my Audi. Although I can pair the iPhone just fine with the RS4, the connection is mysteriously inconsistent. Perhaps if Steve Jobs drove an Audi this wouldn't be the case
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 AM

Sweet, thanks.

I had gone with the wired v600 on the S because the reception on my blackjack inside my car was terrible.

However, the reception on the iPhone in the car is much better. And from what you're reporting, I can go back to having one line again. Brilliant.

Too bad I dropped all that money on the V600 and cradle so recently. Oh well.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
maybe they'll make an iphone cradle
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Thanks for the review Pictures would be nice. The iPhone wont come out here before October/November, how is the phone anyway, is the touch screen quick, is the phone easy to use?
Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by AR.Shah
Thanks for the review Pictures would be nice. The iPhone wont come out here before October/November, how is the phone anyway, is the touch screen quick, is the phone easy to use?
Thanks
There is another thread about this (link below.)

But the short answer is it's an awesome phone. Yes, the UI is very quick, fluid. And it's easy enough to use that my five year old just picked it up and started flipping through family pictures after seeing me do it once. And my wife, who hardly became comfortable with her blackberry in 6 months, was comfortably doing email, photos, iPod, and setting up her favorites by the end of Friday evening.

And the iPod application itself is fantastic. And the screen is simply gorgeous.

Not to say it's perfect, of course there are some updates coming that will be appreciated. And as always, the next one will be even better. But this not a bad start at all for the iPhone models.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 190E 2.3-16
Does the blackberry work well with the bluetooth interface? I am thinking of getting one instaled but we dont have Iphone in Ecuador. The Blackberry Pearl is the best I can get here.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:36 PM

2006 ML350
Has anyone tried using the iPhone without Bluetooth but with just iPod Integration kit... Based on the OP's experience, iPod function will just work fine, but what about the phone functions, can I hear the call and speak through car's speakers and mic...!!

If this works, then we do not even need bluetooth...!!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 PM

ML350 Bluetech
Originally Posted by firstmbml350
Has anyone tried using the iPhone without Bluetooth but with just iPod Integration kit... Based on the OP's experience, iPod function will just work fine, but what about the phone functions, can I hear the call and speak through car's speakers and mic...!!

I kind of doubt it's that easy. The Command unit probably isn't capable as currently configured of combining the ipod function with the phone function. You could plug the iphone to the ipod integration kit along with a bluetooth module and use both functions. Just probably just solely with the ipod integration kit.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 PM

The iPod kit is only aware of the iPod functions. So to use the iPod and phone applications you have to connect to the iPod kit and the MHI at the same time. Maybe there will be a future iPod/iPhone kit which could handle both.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 AM

2006 ML350
Originally Posted by NickIndy
I kind of doubt it's that easy. The Command unit probably isn't capable as currently configured of combining the ipod function with the phone function. You could plug the iphone to the ipod integration kit along with a bluetooth module and use both functions. Just probably just solely with the ipod integration kit.
My ML(MY 2006, bought in june 2005) does not have bluetooth kit and it is not phone ready and I was hoping that if this works then I do not have to spend 1000$+ for the bluetooth kit and phone wiring/install.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM

audi mb bmw

Not only is the MB iPod interface not capable of hands-free phone functionality with the iPhone, the iPhone itself simply does not function in that capacity through the dock connector. It was never designed by Apple to do so to begin with. Your only options for hands-free phone function is via the combination headphone/mic jack (which would not be appropriate if you wore the supplied apple headphones/mic on both ears while driving) or wirelessly via bluetooth (MHI bluetooth module).
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 AM

C Class 99, 04 ML350
GSM phone connection on ML350

Please can anyone help me out with how i can use my GSM phone on my 2004 ML350. I just got one and the phone configuration is on CDMA and not GSM. I will like it on GSM. Any idea pls ppple??????????
Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 AM

Aloha masmole et al.,

What you posted was most certainly true prior to the 1.0.1 upgrade Apple recently pushed out for the iPhone. I currently have a Lexus RX300 (to be upgraded to a MB ML350 in November this year ) with a Belkin TuneBase FM. Prior to the upgrade, my iPhone never worked with it, but afterwards ..... The only problem is the GSM interference, which is why I still use my iPod for my morning podcast listening.

I have a somewhat related question. Out here in Hawaii, we have somewhat different setups, or at least it's that way with Lexus. It is my understanding that the 2008 ML350 models will have Bluetooth standard. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know if the iPhone can play its music through the ML's speakers using Bluetooth (ie., without the MHI cradle)? I can always pick up a charging cable from Apple for probably less than $50 (I haven't checked, but it's not that expensive). If I can use Bluetooth for both the phone and iPod functionality, I would not need to purchase the MHI cradle.

Mahalo in advance for your response,

HawaiiMacAddict
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 AM

'07 E280 CDI
Originally Posted by adarquea
Does the blackberry work well with the bluetooth interface? I am thinking of getting one instaled but we dont have Iphone in Ecuador. The Blackberry Pearl is the best I can get here.
I use a Blackberry 8800 and while the pairing works flawlessly, the address book on the Blackberry was only visible the first time I paired the phone. I haven't been able to call up the BB's address book since.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM

2008 ML350
I just picked up an 08 ML350. I have the ipod integration kit and the bluetooth module (This is still an optional accessory that needs to be purchased).

The ipod does complain when being plugged into the ipod cable(says its not a supported iphone device)and asks to switch to airplane mode as stated above. You can just say no to this and it functions correctly after that. This is the only way to play music as the iphone does not support playing music via bluetooth.

Once I paired the bluetooth module with the iphone (Took like 10 seconds) it then worked with the hands free communication. It took another 15 seconds or so and my entire phonebook was uploaded into the car. I have not had one issue with this setup and I could not be happier. You can be listening to music one minute and then the next be in a call and the music will mute when this happens automatically.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:47 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, '05 Lexus RX330, '98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4
This is very interesting. On previous attempts I have not been able to get my iPhone to work with the integration kit, I just got the 'not supported device' iPhone message. Last night however, after reading this thread it worked...I still think I will run off my Nano in my ML, but now I think I will go get the bluetooth adapter...it is the one thing that I have sorely missed from my RX330.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
how do you guys have your contacts setup in yoru iphone? the only contacts that went to my MB E55 were the ATT ones (see your rate plan, how many minutes do you have, etc).

i'm on a windows machine and iphone got all the contacts from outlook.

thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:26 AM

2008 ML350
Originally Posted by gmdebruyn
how do you guys have your contacts setup in yoru iphone? the only contacts that went to my MB E55 were the ATT ones (see your rate plan, how many minutes do you have, etc).

i'm on a windows machine and iphone got all the contacts from outlook.

thanks in advance.
All my contacts were synced via Outlook. If a contact had more then one number listed in Outlook it will show each entry on its own line. It takes about 20 seconds after it connects with the bluetooth module and then my phone book is available to use.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
not sure what is wrong with my iphone, but the only contacts that sync with the mercedes are the ATT specific service #'s - check your contract minutes/pay your bill/etc....

i even manually added a contact and it didn't sync with the car.

are the ATT specific services on the SIM? how do you change mb to sync with the iphone's contact list rather than the SIM?

anyone else run into this problem? i synced iphone with outlook in windows.