M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Bluetooth paring issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Bluetooth paring issues

Just switched my Razor for a Palm Treo Pro, but I cannot get the address book to display in the command screen.
Can anyone offer any advice on how to import contacts to the factory bluetooth with a Palm Treo pro?
Teleaid claims it's hit or miss, and could not offer any positive way to do this. Palm says it's should work, but it's up to Mercedes to support it. I am stuck in the middle.
For now all I get is the voice dial and the ability to talk hands free.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 500
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Just switched my Razor for a Palm Treo Pro, but I cannot get the address book to display in the command screen.
Can anyone offer any advice on how to import contacts to the factory bluetooth with a Palm Treo pro?
Teleaid claims it's hit or miss, and could not offer any positive way to do this. Palm says it's should work, but it's up to Mercedes to support it. I am stuck in the middle.
might have to use a 3rd party software called jetware.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Just downloaded it. Going to try it out. Hope it works. If it does, well worth the 15 bucks!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
The MB Bluetooth was designed by Peiker and seems to be tied to the Motorola's "unique" implementation of the Bluetooth profiles. It seems that Moto phones keep the audio channel open even when you are not talking on the phone (this seems to be so that things like the key-pressed tones and other warning tones can be pushed through the HSP/HSP). Peiker seems to have reverse engineered their system based on the Moto phone's behavior so Peiker BT firmware seems to need both an active BT connection AND the audio channel to be open in order for the OBEX/PBA/OPP profiles to push the phone book to the MB system.

To test if you are the victim of this engineering short-sightedness, try the following: Pair the phone so you can make/receive calls. The next time you get into the car, make a call to someone within a minute or so of the first time the "signal bar" ext. appears on the Command display indicating that the phone and Command have recognized each other and they are in HSP mode. Talk for at least 3 - 5 minutes. You should find that your phone book will magically appear under the icon in the "tel" mode. If you wait more than a minute or two after the initial start-up (the system times out) or don't make a call (to keep the audio channel open), it won't work. Parrot seems to have gotten Bluetooth right (and is fast becoming a first tier OEM BT supplier), but Peiker still doesn't get it.

Let me know what happens.

- FD
Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Well the Jetware did not work. Oh well. Now I am trying the 3 minute phone open line method as mentioned above. Hope that works because now I cant even get the bluetooth to mute during a call or even make a call. It pairs with the phone and shows signal strength, but that's all it will do. Going to also re try my old Razor as a test to make sure the system is still a go.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 PM

The open line trick was also negative as now I can't even get the Treo to transmit through the MB Puck. It would mute and activate the speaker phone earlier, but now no go. I put my SIM card back in the Razor and re paired and that worked just fine.
Guess I just have to return this Treo unless someone else has a better idea. Oh well.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM

2012 ML350BTC
Blackberry's & Moto's are the only phones I've seen able to transfer phonebooks with any consistency. Had an old Treo 650 with the Palm OS pre-Windows Mobile, and was able to transfer contacts individually via Bluetooth one at a time. Had to go into each individual contact, but worked well. Unfortunately this is just a known caveat of being the first kid on the block with the shiny new toy. New tech doesn't always play nice with others.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Before you take the phone back, delete the pairing in the phone, perform the reset procedure on the phone, then re-pair it with the MB system. Degradation in functionality like you describe is usually the fault of the Bluetooth stack in the phone, not the MB puck (as lame as it is). Once you've done that, and if the calling functions work, try the open line test and see what happens. But if you need that phonebook download every time, Moto or Crackberry are the best bet.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Out of sheer frustration, gave the Palm to the wife who does not have Bluetooth in her car, and got a 3G iPhone. Now everything syncs to perfection, and I can even adjust the bluetooth hands free volume!!
What really sucks is the extra $30.00 per months I now have to pay for the data plan.

Floobydust & Vince: Thanks for all the tips. Maybe if I had more time/expertise in the bluetooth arena, I could get better results.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 PM

2015 E350W4
haha i wish i coulda saw this thread earlier. i work for an MB dealer and the Palm phones are the WORST with Mercedes. even in the 09 cars with the new integrated technology. at least with the dongle your phone connects! with the new integrated software, the mercedes doesnt take the palm!!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 PM

2012 ML350BTC
Originally Posted by timanto
haha i wish i coulda saw this thread earlier. i work for an MB dealer and the Palm phones are the WORST with Mercedes. even in the 09 cars with the new integrated technology. at least with the dongle your phone connects! with the new integrated software, the mercedes doesnt take the palm!!
With Windows Mobile Palm devices, downloading the program from jetwaremobile.com helps let it connect properly. Just can't transfer contacts.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
Hey DGI turbo

Since you have the iphone paired and working fine, have you asked the person on the other end how sound quality is when you're driving say 70mph on a freeway?

My wife has the iphone, paired, and seems to work fine on her end, but when she calls me, I can't hear her worth anything, extremely faint.

Let me know. Unless anyone knows how to solve this...
Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
I think it's the crappy microphone and/or the placement of the microphone in the ML. When I'm paired to the ML system, I can hear everyone fine, but they always complain I'm very hard to understand unless I aim my voice directly at the microphone and speak loudly.

By the way, my LG Dare phone (VX9700) has to be manually connected every time I get in my ML, but otherwise it works fine. If the ML bluetooth tries to automatically connect to the phone, it keeps connecting then immediately disconnecting saying the phone is "off."

After I force the connection from my phone, address book transfers, recent calls, etc. are shown and work perfectly. I had Verizon update the phone's software to the latest version 06, but still have to manually connect to the ML bluetooth system to get everything to work ok.

Signed, waiting for the Apple 3G iPhone for Verizon, rumored for later this summer.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
good, i'm not the only one with this issue

so if we complain, and get the microphone replaced, would that help? Or is it just a ****ty design?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Ml 350
LG not pairing

My dads got an LG shine, i got it to pair with our 08 ML 350 once, it worked fine, now it wont stay paird for more than 2 seconds. probably going to upgrade to a motoralo phone. any suggestions in phones for cingular?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM

2005 SL50K, 2007 ML63 AMG
bluetooth connectivity with my 2007 ML63

Originally Posted by davidbho
Since you have the iphone paired and working fine, have you asked the person on the other end how sound quality is when you're driving say 70mph on a freeway?

My wife has the iphone, paired, and seems to work fine on her end, but when she calls me, I can't hear her worth anything, extremely faint.

Let me know. Unless anyone knows how to solve this...
I just picked up a 07 ML63 amg.. and I am using the MHI puck from my SL. I get the same problem.. My Iphone 3G. pairs and I can make calls and recieve them.. but the Volume is a big issue.. unlike my SL. I cannot increase the volume.. the only way I can hear is if I stop the car and turn off the A/c.. I use the Volume control on the Steering wheel/the command unit during the call and I can hear the increase but it is really low at its highest. Sunil of Motorwerks of houston.. told me I need to take the car in to MB and get a ROM upgrade for the command unit.. Appreciate any advise from forum members.. thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM

M320 CDI Sport
W164 DC UHI MOST Motorola

Hi All,
in my ml 320 installed DC UHI MOST Motorola BT unit but I don't know how to activated and pair with my nokia e51 could you provide information for me
Did I need some cradles ?
THX
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by sunandmk
I just picked up a 07 ML63 amg.. and I am using the MHI puck from my SL. I get the same problem.. My Iphone 3G. pairs and I can make calls and recieve them.. but the Volume is a big issue.. unlike my SL. I cannot increase the volume.. the only way I can hear is if I stop the car and turn off the A/c.. I use the Volume control on the Steering wheel/the command unit during the call and I can hear the increase but it is really low at its highest. Sunil of Motorwerks of houston.. told me I need to take the car in to MB and get a ROM upgrade for the command unit.. Appreciate any advise from forum members.. thanks
While you are on a bluetooth call, turn up the volume on the iPhone. It is adjustable for bluetooth.

DavidBHO, as for the sound, at 70MPH my windows are up, and the sound quality on both ends is fine. I do tend to speak a little louder than normal at that time, maybe to automatically compensate for the wind over the side mirrors. Can't think of any fix at this time.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
While you are on a bluetooth call, turn up the volume on the iPhone. It is adjustable for bluetooth.

DavidBHO, as for the sound, at 70MPH my windows are up, and the sound quality on both ends is fine. I do tend to speak a little louder than normal at that time, maybe to automatically compensate for the wind over the side mirrors. Can't think of any fix at this time.
This is correct. As stated, while on a call, hit the "up" volume rocker on the left side of the iPhone, to turn Bluetooth® volume to max. You then should be good to go.

I just replaced my 3g iPhone with a 3gs, and noticed when on the "MB Phone" screen in Bluetooth®, if you hit the arrow on the right, it takes you to another screen where you can check/uncheck "favorites" "all contacts" "recents" "sync contacts".

Voicemail now also is able to be heard over the Bluetooth® connection, whereas, VM did not work on my 3g with Bluetooth®.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
I previously had Palm devices (Treo 650, Treo 755p) before the iPhone. It was my experience that the only contacts that would sync with any Bluetooth® system I tried, were the "Favorites".

The only downside to the iPhone, is AT&T's dismal coverage, so I bought a Palm Pre. Since Palm eliminated "Favorites" on the Pre, no contacts of any kind sync with the M-B Bluetooth® system. Needless to say, the Pre went back the next day. Hopefully, Verizon will get the iPhone, which should yield typically good Verizon coverage, and all the functionality of the iPhone.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 AM

08 ML 350
LG Yoyager pairing

I have a verizon LG Voyager. I am wondering if anyone has had success pairing that phone in an ML 350. My ML is 2008.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 PM

2008 Ml350
LG Env3 and 2008 ML350

Can anyone tell me how to get the contact list to load to the command unit. I can get the phone to pair, but each time I get in the car I have to reconnect, it wont connect auto. and the contacts wont load. It works fine with my razor, and Moto Q the system I am on is Verizon. Any thoughts?
Philip