M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Ml320 BlueTec vs X5 35d decisions. decisions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X5 (now an organ donor)
Ml320 BlueTec vs X5 35d decisions. decisions...

I'm down to the short hairs in my decision between an ML 320 BlueTec and an X5 35d. And I still have a few questions about the ML*...

1- Is the Air Suspension with Adaptive Damping System ( ADSII) worth $1,600? Does it really improve the handling? Can you set the ride height or is it only automatic? FWIW I recently faced a Suburban swerving into my lane on a 2 lane back country road. I took the rental RAV4 completely off the road at 55mph (under cruise control) to avoid the Suburban, which proceeded to flip on it's backside and slide into a fence -- ouch. We were unharmed (as was the driver of the Suburban) but it was a wild and bumpy ride on a rather steeply sloping shoulder, riddled with rocks, washouts, etc... So as you might imagine I'm newly concerned about ride height in an emergency.

2 - As I understand it, the ML's 4 year / 50,000 imi warranty does not include routine oil changes etc.. like the X5's warranty does. What is the typical cost of these visits to the MB shop?

3 - What is the best value extended warranty to cover the ML for 6 yrs / 100,000 mi? Do we need to get this at the time of purchase or can we wait?

Thanks in Advance - Funf Dreisig

*ps I know I could ask the MB salesman these questions but I'm much, more interested in what you folks think
The following users liked this post:
1aJose (06-03-2017)
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
I regularly carry ~2000lbs of material in my car. The suspension kicks in, lifts the back end, and makes the ride much better.

I did not know it was a handeling thing.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM

'09 ML550
1. My X5 had the rear air suspension. Unlike in the Mercedes, it is just a supplementary suspension. When I carried a heavy load, the rear end would automatically rise to keep the vehicle level. My ML has air suspension and adaptive damping. It replaces -- not augments -- springs. Personally I love it, although whether it is worth $1,600 to you is a personal decision. No, you can't set it, except for raising it in heavy snow at low speeds. It lowers automatically at speed regardless of which mode you are in. In automatic mode, it is very plush and soft but tightens when you load it. In sport mode it stays firm, somewhere around where the X5 is. In soft mode it stays soft, kind of like an old domestic big pig. It also, as eaadams says, compensates for heavy loads. I like to keep it in automatic except when I find some nice twisties, but my wife -- who normally drives an M3 -- always puts it in sport mode as she otherwise finds it too floaty.

2. The value of BMW's 'free' services is frequently over-rated. Unless things go wrong (which is a warranty matter) BMWs and Mercedes require little other than oil changes until 100,000 miles. I would say that the BMW services are worth, at most, around $500, although that does depend on your mileage of course. Note that Mercedes does include normal wear items for the first year. Where the BMW plan makes sense is if you do a high enough mileage that you have to start replacing things like cabin air filters. Anyway, you should have a pretty good idea of what was done to your X5 at no cost, so that should give you an idea.

3. You can buy Mercedes' own factory extended warranty any time during your warranty period. (That's in Canada. I'm sure it's the same in the US.) I'm not sure there is any benefit to buying it at the time of purchase (although I did, just for peace of mind and so that I didn't forget later on). I paid $3,500 Canadian for an ML550 for an extra 3 years plus another year on the drivetrain, to a maximum of 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Pricey, but cheap if I ever need engine or gearbox work done outside warranty. It will, of course, be cheaper in the US on a diesel. I wouldn't have a third-party warranty; you hear too many horror stories.
The following users liked this post:
1aJose (06-03-2017)
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

'09 ML550
My estimate of the savings in BMWs 'service included' plan may be low. Another ML forum has people quoting anywhere from $350 to over $1,000 for a Service B.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM

2007 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by roadrutz
My estimate of the savings in BMWs 'service included' plan may be low. Another ML forum has people quoting anywhere from $350 to over $1,000 for a Service B.
But anyone paying $1000 is getting ripped off and being taken for a sucker in my opinion..I've paid about $600 for my 2 service B's so far and that is over 30k miles.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:47 PM

All of them
Mine has Airmatic and I love it especially when towing. Plus the sport mode makes it more enjoyable to drive.

I pay $200ish for A service and $350ish for B alternating every 12K or so. Never at the Dealer always at an independent shop.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM

R500
This thread got me looking at the X5 35d.

It can have two things that the ML does not.
1) a HUD..... wow.
2) cooled seats .... in California this would be so much better than the ML's heated seats!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:12 AM

2007 ML320 CDI
Originally Posted by eaadams
This thread got me looking at the X5 35d.

It can have two things that the ML does not.
1) a HUD..... wow.
2) cooled seats .... in California this would be so much better than the ML's heated seats!

Cooled seats would be nice!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM

'09 ML550
My ML550 has cooled seats.

I thought I would miss HUD, but most of what you can display on the BMW's HUD can be displayed in the ML on the panel between the two circular dials, so I only half miss it! But HUD would definitely be an improvement in the ML.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM

R500
ML550 has cooled seats?!
Old 07-25-2009, 02:11 PM

'09 ML550
Originally Posted by eaadams
ML550 has cooled seats?!
Yes. It may be part of some package, but mine has them for sure. They use the switch below the seat heater switch and work the same way: three levels of fan. Obviously, I have the perforated leather.

They are... ahem, cool.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 PM

ML 350 Bluetec, Toyota, Chevy
Decisions...

Originally Posted by roadrutz
1. My X5 had the rear air suspension. Unlike in the Mercedes, it is just a supplementary suspension. When I carried a heavy load, the rear end would automatically rise to keep the vehicle level. My ML has air suspension and adaptive damping. It replaces -- not augments -- springs. Personally I love it, although whether it is worth $1,600 to you is a personal decision. No, you can't set it, except for raising it in heavy snow at low speeds. It lowers automatically at speed regardless of which mode you are in. In automatic mode, it is very plush and soft but tightens when you load it. In sport mode it stays firm, somewhere around where the X5 is. In soft mode it stays soft, kind of like an old domestic big pig. It also, as eaadams says, compensates for heavy loads. I like to keep it in automatic except when I find some nice twisties, but my wife -- who normally drives an M3 -- always puts it in sport mode as she otherwise finds it too floaty.

2. The value of BMW's 'free' services is frequently over-rated. Unless things go wrong (which is a warranty matter) BMWs and Mercedes require little other than oil changes until 100,000 miles. I would say that the BMW services are worth, at most, around $500, although that does depend on your mileage of course. Note that Mercedes does include normal wear items for the first year. Where the BMW plan makes sense is if you do a high enough mileage that you have to start replacing things like cabin air filters. Anyway, you should have a pretty good idea of what was done to your X5 at no cost, so that should give you an idea.

3. You can buy Mercedes' own factory extended warranty any time during your warranty period. (That's in Canada. I'm sure it's the same in the US.) I'm not sure there is any benefit to buying it at the time of purchase (although I did, just for peace of mind and so that I didn't forget later on). I paid $3,500 Canadian for an ML550 for an extra 3 years plus another year on the drivetrain, to a maximum of 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Pricey, but cheap if I ever need engine or gearbox work done outside warranty. It will, of course, be cheaper in the US on a diesel. I wouldn't have a third-party warranty; you hear too many horror stories.

I wanna buy a diesel SUV, around 2010, ML or X5. Have a 7000 lb trailer to tow. Which one should I go for?
Old 06-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW 335d
Originally Posted by 1aJose
I wanna buy a diesel SUV, around 2010, ML or X5. Have a 7000 lb trailer to tow. Which one should I go for?
Neither. 7k lbs is over the tow rating of both of those. At the least, look at the GL320/350 which is rated for 7500 but really you should be looking along the lines of a Suburban, Expedition, Sequoia, etc if you want to tow that much with a SUV.