M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

front end vibration/rattle on ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML350
front end vibration/rattle on ML350

2010 ML350, only 6500 miles. I have started noticing when driving 20-40 mph on roads that are rough/washboard a vibrating or rattling noise coming from the front end. I cannot tell if it is actually coming from the suspension or from the dash/steering column. I don't notice it when driving highway speeds, just when driving around town or in my neighborhood. No vibration in steering wheel, just the noise. Any ideas? I hate to think I already have a problem with just 6500 miles...
Old 09-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by texasml
2010 ML350, only 6500 miles. I have started noticing when driving 20-40 mph on roads that are rough/washboard a vibrating or rattling noise coming from the front end. I cannot tell if it is actually coming from the suspension or from the dash/steering column. I don't notice it when driving highway speeds, just when driving around town or in my neighborhood. No vibration in steering wheel, just the noise. Any ideas? I hate to think I already have a problem with just 6500 miles...
Have a quick check for anything obvious that might have come, or been knocked loose,and if you see nothing then go right back to the dealer. its still under the goodwill portion of your warranty. Perhaps have a service rep go for a drive with you.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 AM

R350
It sounds like your sway bar link maybe loose. I had similar problem with my R350. Have tech test drive with you, make sure he is the driver so he can hear the noise better.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:07 PM

2010 ML350
update - need ideas

I took my ML to the dealer three weeks ago to have the noise investigated. They took the sway bar off to see if that was the issue and the noise was still there when the drove it. They replaced the strut and that did not fix it either. After three days they decided to just start replacing parts and that is when they discovered there was an issue with the steering shaft coupling. It was loose and moving around and that was causing the rattle. They replaced the steering shaft and coupling. Everything was great for about two weeks. The rattle started coming back although not as loud as before. Then when backing out of a parking spot over Christmas I heard a very loud snapping noise coming from the same area as the rattle, almost as if metal was breaking. At that point I had the dealer tow it and it is back in the shop right now. They don't know yet what the issue is. I am wondering if the steering shaft/couplings being produced are defective and that is the issue again or if something else could be going on that is either contributing to the noise or causing the steering shaft coupling to fail.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:38 PM

2010 ML350 4matic
Hello, I am experiencing the same thing with my 2010 ML350 4matic which I have only driven for six months. This information is very helpful because I am taking my back to the dealer to correct the vibration/rattle in the steering column or suspension. It only occurs at slow speeds through residential driving. I will let you know what the dealer discovers.
Sincerely,
Rick
Old 12-27-2010, 05:21 PM

2010 ML350
Dealer called and they have found the issue with the snapping noise - it was the steering knuckle. Before finding the issue with the knuckle joint they had tried replacing the lower control arms. They told me when I took it back this last time that they couldn't hear the rattle again, only the snapping sound but I am hoping that the rattle will be gone now too with the steering knuckle being replaced. Between the three service visits I've had I don't think there is anything else they can replace!

Must have been a bad day at the plant when the assembled the steering on my vehicle - first the steering shaft and coupling now the steering knuckle.

Last edited by texasml; 12-29-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

2010 ML350 4matic
2010 ML350 4Matic steering rattle

Hello, I took my ML to the dealer and they stated this was an issue with many new ML's. There is an internal bulletin posted by Mercedes. Cause: Steering shaft bearing at firewall replace vehicle with electronically adjustable steering column. All is back to normal and vehicle drives just like when I drove it off the lot. However, I am not sure if this is the same as the "steering knuckle"?

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM

2010 ML350
No it's not the same as the steering knuckle. They did replace the steering shaft and and steering shaft coupling that contains the bearings the first time as you described. That did take care of most of the rattles, however I had a second issue with some different rattles/clunks and a loud snap when backing up and turning. The second issue required the replacement of the steering knuckle.

Glad you were able to get yours fixed as well!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ML500
This all sounds very familiar to the problems I had with my 06 ML500. It took them several goes to get the replacement right.

Check out this thread which looks like it might be related:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...n-turning.html

Good luck in getting everything resolved.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM

2010 ml350
Angry

Hi,

i had the same "rattle" problem on my 2010 ML350...took to the dealer at 10000 miles, he replaced something in the steering column, and it's fixed.

Now the front passenger door rattles when closed. Glad I leased this. Pretty disappointing, really for a $50k vehicle.