M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Coming from Lexus fam, wife want ML350. Need your advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus ES & GS
Coming from Lexus fam, wife want ML350. Need your advice...

hi everyone, very cool forum here anyway i'm a newbie in MB world. We've been owning couple Lexus (sedan) in the last few years and about to have 2nd kid in the next few months. So wife been bugging me to get SUV and she like ML350 but I'm just a bit worry about the maintenance cost on MB. So my questions :

1. How's the maintenance of ML350 ? How easy it is to DIY oil change, brake/rotor replacement ?

2. How long this car can last ? We definitely going to drive it for at least 4/5 years.

3. How's 2006 ML350 ? I assume this is the 1st generation of the new model, right ?

Need your opinions / advices on this Thanks in advance !
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM

2008 ML350
Lexus versus ML

I have just replaced a 2004 Lexus RX330 with a certified preowned 2008 ML350. I have also driven the new 2010 RX350s as loaners when my Lexus was having service intervals done.
Since I'm new to the ML I can answer your questions by experience but thought you might benefit from these observations. Being a Lexus family, I wonder if you did not consider an RX350.

The ML handles much like a large car but you can feel the road; The Lexus RXs have very soft suspension and there's lots of leaning/ body roll. The ML hugs corners nicely and has snappier acceleration. The RXs get better gas mileage (maybe 3-5 mpg average difference) and you don't need to use premium unleaded like the ML. The ML is built like a tank and you can hear the heft/ weight when you close the doors. If handling isn't such a big deal, the RX is much more practical due to running cost and there's many more places to store stuff inside the cabin and the back seats move forward and back and recline.
I don't regret buying the ML, I am enjoying the driving experience after owning the Lexus RX330 and the LX470 I had before that. The new ML also looks great, especially with the larger 19" wheels.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I had an 06 ML500 for 4 years and now a 2010 ML550. With regards to the 06, It was never in the shop for anything other than routine service. It was bullet proof as is my ML550. This 550 is my 4th ML. (98, 02, 06,10) As for cost I figure it cost me between 400 and 600 bucks a year for routine maint all done at the dealer. Do not think you can go wrong. Its bigger than the Lexus, has a better ride and better handling. Its NOT a Toyota!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM

2008 ML 320 CDI
Re: Choosing an ML 350 W164 - some considerations

We have just bought a 2008 ML 320 Cdi.

I was warned off the earlier models MY05 and MY06, thus we went for the MY08.

Every dealer's service manager I called spoked highly of the 08 ML concerning reliability. There were some concerns about electrics. For example the battery is under the driver's seat and if fitted with a cheapo non-sealed unit and/or if the venting system is not prpoerly installed the electronic componentry adjacent to the battery will kind of corrode.

Always buy with a mechanical inspection in mind and try to obtain a warranty. Check for any recall notices affecting the year model you choose.

Before buying our ML I considered a Volvo V70 T6, BMW X5 and VW Touareg. I lean't towards the Volvo T6, but my auto mechanic guru said ditch the rest, go the Benz.

Make a list of the pros and cons as to why you want an ML.

You should consider why you need such a large vehicle. We tow caravan at 1700 kgs and the diesel makes sense for us.

I looked at a Lexus but besides being ugly it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. (Toyota designers really seem to put the ugly pen to good use. However I'm told they are reliable?)

Anyway, oil changes are best done using an extractor vacum pump. You take the oil out through the dipstick. Oil filters are cheap from FCP Groton. You may need a factory filter housing removal tool. As for the extractor I bought a Pela 14 litre, see here: http://www.pelaproducts.com/ Got mine from Whitworths Marine in Sydney.

Brakes and rotors shouldn't pose a major issue. I aways get the professionals to fit such items. I like to use Akebono pads as they perform well and exude hardly any dust on to the alloy wheels. You could always source the parts and have them fitted.

So far for me, it has been difficult to find a parts supplier who ships to Australia, but I'm woking on it, if you read my other post.

I have also ordered via ebay, a CD based factory service manual. Great if you choose to do some of your own work or at least have some knowledge of what your service agent may do or get up to.

Our ML is immaculate. Low kays, no dents, scratches and the interior is as new. No accident damage and with log book service always arranged by the previous mature owner.

You need to investigate and delve into a vehicle's history. You don't want something that towed a horse float for example. If buying from a dealer ask if you can speak with the previous owner. The dealer should be able to ring them to seek their permission for you to call them.

Benz accessories are dear as poison. Try to buy an ML with as many factory options as possible. Like bluetooth for your mobile/cell phone, Ipod/MP3 connectivity, reversing/backup camera, safety divider net etc.

If it hasn't a tow hitch don't worry, that's a good indicator it hasn't been thrashed towing something heavy. Although one seller I spoke to only used his to carry his push bikes.

Good luck, don't rush, research well and buy the best one and reject the rest like John West.

Cheers ... Nick
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Lexus ES & GS
thanks for the reply gentlemen

wifey don't like RX for some reason, she said it seems smaller than ML. The reason I like lexus its because i've been doing regular DIY maintenance by myself on my lexus so I assume it's probably similar DIY on Lexus suv. I just don't know how hard it is w/ MB SUV, but I'm open to try it if we really come down to get ML350.

I'm comparing those 2 cars (ML & RX) + lexus GX470, seems like they all almost have the same dimension ( length & width ) http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...8177&v=t100192. But no idea about the interior space.

I've been reading some old post in this forum, seems like ML is pretty reliable car overall.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 PM

'08 IS F; '09 ML 320 Bluetec; '10 X5 35d
Originally Posted by masboy
hi everyone, very cool forum here anyway i'm a newbie in MB world. We've been owning couple Lexus (sedan) in the last few years and about to have 2nd kid in the next few months. So wife been bugging me to get SUV and she like ML350 but I'm just a bit worry about the maintenance cost on MB. So my questions :

1. How's the maintenance of ML350 ? How easy it is to DIY oil change, brake/rotor replacement ?

2. How long this car can last ? We definitely going to drive it for at least 4/5 years.

3. How's 2006 ML350 ? I assume this is the 1st generation of the new model, right ?

Need your opinions / advices on this Thanks in advance !
1. Maintenance on the ML is ridiculously expensive compared to Lexus. Our first service (keep in mind I'm referring to CDN prices) was $350 after a $150 discount due to the previous issues we had. The second service was $1100 after we were told the maximum we would ever see would be $750. Still dealing with them on this one.

2. With all of the little annoying issues we've had I would NEVER own a German vehicle out of warranty. PERIOD.

3. Again, I would NEVER buy a first model year of ANY German vehicle (though I might make an exception for the upcoming F10 M5 ).

Originally Posted by steves08ml350
I have just replaced a 2004 Lexus RX330 with a certified preowned 2008 ML350. I have also driven the new 2010 RX350s as loaners when my Lexus was having service intervals done.
Since I'm new to the ML I can answer your questions by experience but thought you might benefit from these observations. Being a Lexus family, I wonder if you did not consider an RX350.

The ML handles much like a large car but you can feel the road; The Lexus RXs have very soft suspension and there's lots of leaning/ body roll. The ML hugs corners nicely and has snappier acceleration. The RXs get better gas mileage (maybe 3-5 mpg average difference) and you don't need to use premium unleaded like the ML. The ML is built like a tank and you can hear the heft/ weight when you close the doors. If handling isn't such a big deal, the RX is much more practical due to running cost and there's many more places to store stuff inside the cabin and the back seats move forward and back and recline.
I don't regret buying the ML, I am enjoying the driving experience after owning the Lexus RX330 and the LX470 I had before that. The new ML also looks great, especially with the larger 19" wheels.
We had an '05 RX prior to our ML and would have re-upped with the new RX had our local dealer not been such a completely inept douchebag.

I'd disagree that the ML feels like a large car. If anything it drives much more like a truck than other comparable SUV's. Our X5 35d drives and handles much closer to a sedan than the ML ever will.

I agree with pretty much everything else you mention, especially the looks. I still think the ML is the best looking SUV at the moment (and it's not even mine...wifey's...lol...I'm "stuck" with the X5 ).

Originally Posted by masboy
thanks for the reply gentlemen

wifey don't like RX for some reason, she said it seems smaller than ML. The reason I like lexus its because i've been doing regular DIY maintenance by myself on my lexus so I assume it's probably similar DIY on Lexus suv. I just don't know how hard it is w/ MB SUV, but I'm open to try it if we really come down to get ML350.

I'm comparing those 2 cars (ML & RX) + lexus GX470, seems like they all almost have the same dimension ( length & width ) http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...8177&v=t100192. But no idea about the interior space.

I've been reading some old post in this forum, seems like ML is pretty reliable car overall.
I'd look deeply into how "easy" it is to DIY with the ML. It's not the simplest machine out there.

Take those posts with a grain of salt. Keep in mind that these forums )(and all forums in fact) cater to the enthusiast and are not truly representative of the real world. Consumer Reports and JD Power will offer much more realistic results.

While I don't "hate" our ML, the pita little issues and lack of support from MB will result in our ML being the first to leave our garage.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 PM

2008 ML 320 CDI
BMW X5d sport has a harsh ride, head shake is an issue and it drives like a truck, and there is something very old school about it.

The ML is much fresher.

If you are being ripped off by your dealer, find a quality service agent, buy your parts from your cheaper outlets over there and don't take crap from MB.

See here: http://vexedvolvo.org/ this is what Vexed Volvo and LemonVolvo Action Group Australia (me) did to Volvo.

Maybe if there are so many disgruntled ML owners in your neck of the woods consider forming an action group.

There is nothing overly complicated about an ML - its still a car (don't know why you call these things trucks).

I must admit you do have some awfull looking utility vehicles adding to climate change issues. It's about time these excessive things were banned. I'm getting off track here. (Sorry, I detest wastful and insular societies).

Any decent mechanic can work on these ML things and my investigations reveal that they are very reliable.

Nothing wrong with German enginering or would you prefer a Crown Victoria.

Us Australians produce first rate vehicles which should be sold overseas. Like the Ford Territory and Falcon G6E which I also own. See here: http://www.fpv.com.au/index.aspx and here: http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcars/2010/Ford/G6 and an Ozie "Truck" here: http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcar...Ford/Territory

Cheers
Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 AM

to be frank, used i would get an RX350. If new, then the ML is ok. I strongly suggest the bluetec if you buy new. Love the 2010 bluetec I got
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
2007 ML500 owned since new, now @ 42K miles and only in for normal service.
We pull jetskiis to/from the lakes / ocean just about every weekend.

Rides like a fine automobile, AND very very capable 4 wheeler if you ever need it.

Built like a tank, great soundsystem, comfortable on long trips, the 4 matic is confidence inspiring in monsoon downpours.

I've heard you should stay away from the 06 model..... but have no direct exp with that year.

We now have 3 benz in the garage.... and have had no issues with any of them other than regular service.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:22 AM

2008 ML 320 CDI
Hey Masboy,

Have your bought your ML yet.

Go for it - either a 350 or CDi 320 would fit the bill.

I'd opt for a 2007 and above with max accessories, see my previous post above.

Yer only live once!!

Cheers .. Nick
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Matter of Choice

I bought my 2006 new and it feels and looks exactly the same as the day we purchased. No signs of wear and tear or squeeks anywhere.

Please note the ride and handling are going to be night and day from a Lexus. If you like the feeling of relaxing on your living room couch while driving then stick with the Lexus.

MB is going to feel stiff and solid compared to the Lexus. Personally I like it but you may not.

1- Oil changes are a breeze on the ML... the filter is accessed from the top just beneath the plastic shroud that covers the head. Look on youtube for a tutorial.

2 - like I said I've owned this vehicle for 4 years and it feels as solid and luxurious as the day I drove it off the lot.

3- I would certainly buy another. Go for a test drive, if you like it, you won't be disapointed in the long run IMO.

Good Luck
Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 PM

Lexus ES & GS
hi everyone, WOW people....thanks a lot for a bunch of replies My wife & I ready thankful for this

I went to MBZ & Lexus dealer this past weekend, unfortunately I was a bit disappointed w/ the space in 2nd row of seat on ML. I'm not super tall guy,only 6'2, but when I sit on the driver seat....there is not much space left in the 2nd row anymore. I've noticed the trunk area is huge compare to some lexus SUV (GX & RX). Maybe that's the reason why the 2nd row felt small, unless the 2nd row seat can be pull to back more ?? or maybe I'm just too picky about it ??

I ended up test drove the R350 ...LOL...yeah, it's a van. It's OK van, felt good drove it. need more power though. Planning to test drive R500 sometimes next weekend.

We haven't decided yet, still confuse which car we should get. I've been reading some review here and there, seems like ML is definitely built like a tank. Or maybe we should save more $$$ and get a used GL instead next year. I understand this is a ML section, but anybody own GL ?

edit : anyone have carfax that willing to check this 2006 ML500 car for me, please ? cheaper than the real value in KBB. I wonder why

Last edited by masboy; 10-04-2010 at 03:02 PM.