M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Service F - Held Hostage by Mercedes Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350
Service F - Held Hostage by Mercedes Benz

So I get a message saying it is time for service F at 36,000 miles.
I take my ML350 in for service and the service adviser wants $250 for

1. Oil change
2. Inspecting the air filter, all the nuts and bolts in the chassis.

I told him to just do oil change as I can take care of part2 myself, and he tells me that in doing so he will not be able to take off the Service message from my screen per MB Policy.

This is ridiculous. So now I have to stare at the message for another 10,000 miles when I get do get some real service (brake fluid, transmission fluid) done?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Yup cheapo
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
you can do it yourself. there is a step by step DIY in this forum somewhere to remove the message. I heard its easy.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by Shifter
Yup cheapo
seriously? just cuz I own a MB does not mean I HAVE to throw money at wrench monkeys to turn their eyes over the nuts, bolts and top off the coolant.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM

ML350
I'll try this when I get my ml350 back tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by chikoo
seriously? just cuz I own a MB does not mean I HAVE to throw money at wrench monkeys to turn their eyes over the nuts, bolts and top off the coolant.
It amazes me when people with 50k+ vehicles complain about a 250$ service. Also when they can't or don't want to spend money to buy new tires or breaks.
Go service a Harley , it's more than your Benz. Hell my 1000k service yes 1000 mile service for my KTM was $500.

I also hate throwing money at paper pushers to do nothing but its a fact of life.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
I think 250.00 is not going to be total. Service F represents 6 hours of labor, which at most MB shops would be 720.00 labor alone. I am guessing you need, Brake flush, cabin filters, air filter, check this check that. It might be that they have not been resetting other services along the way, and just resetting oil changes. So if in fact he is willing to reset the service F for 250.00, I would jump on it.. Just purchasing oil and filter alone is close to 80.00.. And if in fact you walk out of there with only a 250.00 bill, you can consider an oil change for 120.00 and 130.00 to keep some goodwill with dealer.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM

ML350
It amazes me when people with 50k+ vehicles complain about a 250$ service. Also when they can't or don't want to spend money to buy new tires or breaks.
Go service a Harley , it's more than your Benz. Hell my 1000k service yes 1000 mile service for my KTM was $500.

I also hate throwing money at paper pushers to do nothing but its a fact of life.
it is not a fact of life. Sorry.
I do not pay paper pushers such as lawyers to read a contract. I do that myself too.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
I think 250.00 is not going to be total. Service F represents 6 hours of labor, which at most MB shops would be 720.00 labor alone. I am guessing you need, Brake flush, cabin filters, air filter, check this check that. It might be that they have not been resetting other services along the way, and just resetting oil changes. So if in fact he is willing to reset the service F for 250.00, I would jump on it.. Just purchasing oil and filter alone is close to 80.00.. And if in fact you walk out of there with only a 250.00 bill, you can consider an oil change for 120.00 and 130.00 to keep some goodwill with dealer.
that is the good news. The service adviser wants to do that at 45000 miles and I am fine with that.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM

ML350

I am happy that you at leat have more money than you know what to do with it.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
Originally Posted by chikoo
I am happy that you at leat have more money than you know what to do with it.
Believe me, I do not have excess funds, the main reason I have an ML, is for the diesel engine.. Had there been a Jeep GC available with diesel at the time I was looking, that would have been my choice. I do most maintenance, oil changes, filters, and brakes myself. Why should a service department that you throw pennies at on occasion, do anything extra for you? I give the dealer an occasional service outside of any warranty repairs, I have good rapport with service advisor, get a free loaner, they will even pickup and drop off. To me those are added benefits.. So if I have to pass up on a few Starbucks Frappacinos for a month so I can build that rapport with dealer than so be it.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by 06e320cdi
Believe me, I do not have excess funds, the main reason I have an ML, is for the diesel engine.. Had there been a Jeep GC available with diesel at the time I was looking, that would have been my choice. I do most maintenance, oil changes, filters, and brakes myself. Why should a service department that you throw pennies at on occasion, do anything extra for you? I give the dealer an occasional service outside of any warranty repairs, I have good rapport with service advisor, get a free loaner, they will even pickup and drop off. To me those are added benefits.. So if I have to pass up on a few Starbucks Frappacinos for a month so I can build that rapport with dealer than so be it.
ha! I have great rapport with my Lexus service advisers, and earlier with my Mazda service advisers. This being my first MB, I still need to develop those. That said, the fact that they will NOT remove the service F message unless get a service A done, does fall under holding me hostage. All I want is the oil change which is worth $120 and I am happy to ay for that. Not happy to pay $130 for visual inspection.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM

ML350
Btw, I have never paid for visual inspection of ***** at a nightclub either...tells you a lot about me.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec

It amazes me when people with $50k+ vehicles brag about paying $250 for a $100 service. Yet can not spell "brakes".

Guessing my KTM's 1000 mile service would have been about $500 as well. $250 in parts, $250 in labor. But it got its 2nd front and 3rd rear tire, new chain and sprockets along with valve adjust/check and 6th oil change. Spoke tightening and wheel truing. But I did all that myself because I would spend more time taking it to the dealer than actually performing the services.

The point Shifter misses is that there is $50k+ of value in the vehicle, but not $250 of value in an oil change.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM

ML350
^pwned (Geez...looks like I am turning younger as I grow older)
Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM

ML350
The only time I have paid more than $150 on service on any of my vehicle in my life is when I get the oil change and transmission fluid change done at the same time OR get the brakes replaced OR Tires replaced.
So you can imagine how much of a shock it is when the MB guys want me to fork out $130 for visual inspection.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by N4HHE
It amazes me when people with $50k+ vehicles brag about paying $250 for a $100 service. Yet can not spell "brakes".

Guessing my KTM's 1000 mile service would have been about $500 as well. $250 in parts, $250 in labor. But it got its 2nd front and 3rd rear tire, new chain and sprockets along with valve adjust/check and 6th oil change. Spoke tightening and wheel truing. But I did all that myself because I would spend more time taking it to the dealer than actually performing the services.

The point Shifter misses is that there is $50k+ of value in the vehicle, but not $250 of value in an oil change.
Good point.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
What you have just asked the MB dealer to do is electronically FALSIFY that the complete service was done and then document it.

The estimated charge ($250) is for more than an oil change. Can you honestly state that you completed all service items on the "F" schedule and be able to document it...

This is not trivial. As a service manager, several years ago a customer made a similar request because they didn't want to pay for a tire rotation included in the service guidelines. I respectfully declined to reset the service indicator and let them on their way. A few days later, the vehicle lost control and was involved in an accident - wheel bolts had sheared from being over torqued.

During the court case that followed; the documentation that our facility did not perform the tire rotation included the repair order (that customer declined service) and was substantiated by the service indicator not being reset as circumstantial evidence. This documentation prevented the rather large settlement from being assessed to the service facility.

If you do not want the service facility to perform all the work, that is OK. I do not want unhappy customers that do not see the value of our work or feel that they are being fleeced. Just don't request that the dealership reset the entire service when they haven't done all the work. Also, be prepared to take on the liability (that the work not done by the service facility) is now your responsibility.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM

ML350
Point noted, and well made.
the bigger problem is why enforce such service requirements in such an annoying manner on the car screen?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM

ML350
Talk about FALSIFYING, why did the MB dealer lie about my brakes? Does he think I have money to throw away just because I drive an expensive luxury vehicle? Check out my thread on that topic under tech talk.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM

2006 ml350
I truly don't know the answer to that question (car screen display)...

But my guess is that it is designed to be annoying enough to get the work done, but not annoying enough to prevent the next vehicle purchase.

Along the lines of me prompting the younger teenage son to take out the garbage until it gets done. Just annoying enough to get a response, but not annoying enough for him to move out on his own.

Last edited by u001elg; 07-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

2006 ml350
Took a look at the Tech Talk thread and the provided pictures.

The top picture appears to indicate that one pad (lower pad facing up) has worn through to the sensor chamber. Any one sensor that grounds to the rotor will set the break wear indicator on the dash.

MB provides ample break pad reserve even after the wear sensor is activated before catastrophic damage occurs.

The dealer was correct that, to address the wear light, the front pads need to be replaced. I could not see clearly see the face of the rear pads, but if none of the sensors were grounding, then the proper way to address this is:

Mr. Chikoo,

One front brake pad has activated the wear sensor. Unfortunately I cannot reset this as long as it makes contact and grounds electrically through the rotor. The front brakes do not need to be immediately changed, but should be in the near future since the wear indicator masks any condition with the other brake pads. The rear pads are not low enough to set the wear sensor yet, but will be most likely will be within the next 6 months to a year. How would you like me to proceed?

In this manner, you can make an informed decision as to brake replacement.

The unfortunate state of the vehicle industry (and one of the reasons why I left for other employment) is that people skills are not cultivated with the service advisor staff and perceived "time" pressure has them cut to the chase to have work done or not. I find that unacceptable.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by u001elg
I truly don't know the answer to that question (car screen display)...

But my guess is that it is designed to be annoying enough to get the work done, but not annoying enough to prevent the next vehicle purchase.

Along the lines of me prompting the younger teenage son to take out the garbage until it gets done. Just annoying enough to get a response, but not annoying enough for him to move out on his own.
I love your responses. I wish I was working with you instead of my current adviser.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by u001elg
Took a look at the Tech Talk thread and the provided pictures.

The top picture appears to indicate that one pad (lower pad facing up) has worn through to the sensor chamber. Any one sensor that grounds to the rotor will set the break wear indicator on the dash.

MB provides ample break pad reserve even after the wear sensor is activated before catastrophic damage occurs.

The dealer was correct that, to address the wear light, the front pads need to be replaced. I could not see clearly see the face of the rear pads, but if none of the sensors were grounding, then the proper way to address this is:

Mr. Chikoo,

One front brake pad has activated the wear sensor. Unfortunately I cannot reset this as long as it makes contact and grounds electrically through the rotor. The front brakes do not need to be immediately changed, but should be in the near future since the wear indicator masks any condition with the other brake pads. The rear pads are not low enough to set the wear sensor yet, but will be most likely will be within the next 6 months to a year. How would you like me to proceed?

In this manner, you can make an informed decision as to brake replacement.

The unfortunate state of the vehicle industry (and one of the reasons why I left for other employment) is that people skills are not cultivated with the service advisor staff and perceived "time" pressure has them cut to the chase to have work done or not. I find that unacceptable.
actually, the front pads are all at 50%. The rear are down to 35% or so. If anything, only the rear needed to be replaced.

now the Parkway carcare place charges $140 per axle to replace pads and resurface rotors. They charges me only $170. Upon inquiring, I was informed the front rotors did not require resurfacing therefore only charged for replacing pads. Now that is honesty and integrity.