Colour/Photos of stock halogen headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Colour/Photos of stock halogen headlights

Hello,

Strongly considering pulling the trigger on an ML350. The lack of Xenons is a big let down and it's not possible to wait to put in an order.

Does anyone have any pictures of the the stock halogen setup ? How white/yellow is it ?

I looked at some of the promo videos online and it's hard to tell, esp since they seem to use a model with Xenons in certain videos.

Thanks in advance.

And yes, I test drove it while forgetting to check the lights. I'm that smart.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
The halogens on my Bluetec are quite white and reasonably strong.They're not quite up to the level of the Xenons on my BMW or Infiniti but they're quite satisfactory.Sorry,no pix....
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by listerone
The halogens on my Bluetec are quite white and reasonably strong.They're not quite up to the level of the Xenons on my BMW or Infiniti but they're quite satisfactory.Sorry,no pix....
Thanks for the quick reply.

The worst part of the lack of the Xenon option is that it's bundled into the package and you can't get headlamp washers without it.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
I have aftermarket HID in my other vehicles. They work great. My ML should be here in Dec sometime. If I don't like the stock halogens they I will just get some aftermarket HID's. You can get them pretty cheap now.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ML350 BlueTec.
Question My friend........

please do not spend $50,000 on a Mercedes and put after market HID's on..what is the point ???? I would wait for the Xenons..............you will regret it...I'm just being honest with you, I've owned 6 of them...............
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by C-rod
please do not spend $50,000 on a Mercedes and put after market HID's on..what is the point ???? I would wait for the Xenons..............you will regret it...I'm just being honest with you, I've owned 6 of them...............
He just said waiting isn't an option. I was in the same boat. I would have loved to spend the $1600 on top of our $59K car to get the xenons, but we needed a car due to lease termination. I added a xenon kit too, not a big deal. I'll get the xenons and sport interior in 2 years when this lease is up.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 PM

2012 ML350
Just picked up my W166 today. The halogens are not white nor are they strong....just my opinion, comparing to my BMW xenons. I too was not able to wait till March, so I think that xenon bulb upgrade is certainly an option....

Anyone know what these kits run?

-Mark
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM

2012 Blk/Blk ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Skioutwest
Just picked up my W166 today. The halogens are not white nor are they strong....just my opinion, comparing to my BMW xenons. I too was not able to wait till March, so I think that xenon bulb upgrade is certainly an option....

Anyone know what these kits run?

-Mark
Here ya go, thank me later:

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/HID-Kits-s/216.htm

https://www.kbcarstuff.com/Mercedes-s/240.htm

Pretty awesome sale right now. These guys used to be called XenonDepot.com and I have always heard good things about them. IMHO, I think the halogens are great, but HIDs are also nice. BTW people install these in high end cars all the time with no problems.

Last edited by Scott5000; 11-22-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 AM

2016 C450 AMG
I was going to pull the trigger on a new 2012 ML, however the lack of the lighting package is a no go for me and I don't really want to wait until March/April....

However, its possible to put an after market kit in! Will it look nice? Yes, absolutely ...I have a nice kit on my 2010 GLK. But at the end of the day...I'd prefer stock from the factory any day of the week. Honestly its getting ridiculous, HID lighting should be standard on a $60K Mercedes.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
For these " premium " brand cars to not have HIDs as standard is beyond me paying 40k to 50k plus on them and have the yellowish halogen lights really suucks IMHO
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
For these " premium " brand cars to not have HIDs as standard is beyond me paying 40k to 50k plus on them and have the yellowish halogen lights really suucks IMHO
I'm sure that was a concession to keep the base price down to same as the W164.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:21 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTEC
Hi guys,
I just joined your forum today.
I had the same concern - the lack of Xenon lights on a premium vehicle.
My previous 2011 ML Grand Edition had the Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights and I was really impressed how great they worked - that's a really great safety feature, not only the light itself generated by a Xenon bulb (3 times brighter than a standard halogen), but also how the light beam moves left/right as you steer or as you go up or down on a hill.
I ordered my new 2012 ML with the Bi-Xenon package back in August to get it by mid December (when my lease was up on the current 2011 ML). Two months after, I was informed that the Xenon headlights are only available as of March production, which meant delivery in April. Since I couldn't wait and didn't want to switch to another MB model (which none were available on lot anyway) I took it without the Xenon package. I just got it few weeks ago and what a disappointment... compared with the adaptive Bi-Xenon lights I had on my previous ML. As you probably know, the Xenon package factory option not only replaces the Halogen bulb, but the whole headlight unit and adds the headlight washers. The reason for the delay I believe was due to the fact that for North America, the whole unit had to be adapted to meet the NA Safety regulations, which must include the side amber markers on each side (this is not required in Europe, and that is why they got the Xenon package and we didn't), as the headlight supplier couldn't have the Xenon headlight unit (NA safety compliant) ready before march 2012. The upgraded headlight unit would have the adaptive function and also a neat LED component incorporated.

Here is the difference between Xenon and Non-Xenon headlight:

I tried to fix the problem and visited a local HID installer in BC to check if they have something available. They told me that they didn't put an HID Xenon kit on any 2012 ML but they did install one on an earlier model and didn't see any problem getting the same H7 kit on my vehicle. The quote they gave me was ridiculous, looking at the products they were selling which is exactly the same stuff you can order of ebay or internet. I had a kit purchased and installed myself on my motorcycle, which looks great and installation it's just plug and play (except for the hole you have to drill through the headlight dust cap so that you can run the wires through).
I decided to get one from a trusted HID website in US and have it installed myself on my ML. I called them first to make sure it will fit the model I have. Since they ere not familiar with the 2012 model, they said that as long as the bulb is an H7, it will fit, however I will need to purchase a capacitor, to trick the CANBUS and DRL system and cancel the error message in the dashboard (this kit was tested on earlier MB models with no problems whatsoever, so it should work on the 2012 as well). So I got and tried to install it on my 2012 ML.
Unfortunately, the bulb socket itself is different than any earlier MB models with H7 bulbs. So the aftermarket HID Xenon H7 bulb didn't fit exactly and I had do find a different way to put it in. Those who took the time to remove the H7 bulb would know exactly what I'm talking about.
Then, I tried the HID system, connecting the HID ballast and the capacitor to the HID bulb. Another disappointment. Although I used a CANBUS ballast and a capacitor, it didn't work well with the DRL system. The HID bulb would just start flickering as soon as you turn on any other electric component, such as turn signal, brake light or even shifting in D or R.
So the kit I purchased based on suppliers recommendations didn't work. I had another option: try the HID system I had installed on my motorcycle, which used the same H7 bulb. This one didn't have a CANBUS ballast, just a digital slim balast. So I connected to the capacitor (for DRL override) and it worked amazingly - no problem at all. I tested it with all the other electric component on and the flickering problem disappeared, as well the check low beam bulb error message in the dashboard.
I removed the system from my motorcycle and installed it on the ML. It worked great and I must tell, it's a huge difference compared with the OEM halogen bulbs. I mean it. I used 5000K Xenon bulb, as this is the brightest color temperature and it's almost the same as the OEM Xenon available on other MB vehicles. Not to mention the looks...
All went well until I drove it and tested it in daylight. The automated DRL system is trying to switch off the low beams and boost the LED lights located in the bumper. When it does that, it also runs some sort of test on the current low beam lights and since they are lower wattage (35W vs 55W from OEM halogen bulb) it starts flickering again 3-4 times (each side, one at a time) then after few minutes it stabilizes itself and works properly.
I am still looking for the right ballast and capacitor that would eliminate this phantom flickering issue (which occurs only during daylight - at night, it works perfectly with no issues, no problem or error messages). If I can't find it, I'll probably go back to the OEM halogen bulbs (which in my opinion sucks big time) and wait for the next vehicle which will be ordered with the OEM Bi-Xenon package.

Just wanted to share my experience so far with this whole Xenon thing.

If anyone had a better experience, please share it with us. I want to hear what you guys did.

Thanks.
G
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by ValD
Hi guys,
I just joined your forum today.
I had the same concern - the lack of Xenon lights on a premium vehicle.
My previous 2011 ML Grand Edition had the Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights and I was really impressed how great they worked - that's a really great safety feature, not only the light itself generated by a Xenon bulb (3 times brighter than a standard halogen), but also how the light beam moves left/right as you steer or as you go up or down on a hill.
I ordered my new 2012 ML with the Bi-Xenon package back in August to get it by mid December (when my lease was up on the current 2011 ML). Two months after, I was informed that the Xenon headlights are only available as of March production, which meant delivery in April. Since I couldn't wait and didn't want to switch to another MB model (which none were available on lot anyway) I took it without the Xenon package. I just got it few weeks ago and what a disappointment... compared with the adaptive Bi-Xenon lights I had on my previous ML. As you probably know, the Xenon package factory option not only replaces the Halogen bulb, but the whole headlight unit and adds the headlight washers. The reason for the delay I believe was due to the fact that for North America, the whole unit had to be adapted to meet the NA Safety regulations, which must include the side amber markers on each side (this is not required in Europe, and that is why they got the Xenon package and we didn't), as the headlight supplier couldn't have the Xenon headlight unit (NA safety compliant) ready before march 2012. The upgraded headlight unit would have the adaptive function and also a neat LED component incorporated.

Here is the difference between Xenon and Non-Xenon headlight:

I tried to fix the problem and visited a local HID installer in BC to check if they have something available. They told me that they didn't put an HID Xenon kit on any 2012 ML but they did install one on an earlier model and didn't see any problem getting the same H7 kit on my vehicle. The quote they gave me was ridiculous, looking at the products they were selling which is exactly the same stuff you can order of ebay or internet. I had a kit purchased and installed myself on my motorcycle, which looks great and installation it's just plug and play (except for the hole you have to drill through the headlight dust cap so that you can run the wires through).
I decided to get one from a trusted HID website in US and have it installed myself on my ML. I called them first to make sure it will fit the model I have. Since they ere not familiar with the 2012 model, they said that as long as the bulb is an H7, it will fit, however I will need to purchase a capacitor, to trick the CANBUS and DRL system and cancel the error message in the dashboard (this kit was tested on earlier MB models with no problems whatsoever, so it should work on the 2012 as well). So I got and tried to install it on my 2012 ML.
Unfortunately, the bulb socket itself is different than any earlier MB models with H7 bulbs. So the aftermarket HID Xenon H7 bulb didn't fit exactly and I had do find a different way to put it in. Those who took the time to remove the H7 bulb would know exactly what I'm talking about.
Then, I tried the HID system, connecting the HID ballast and the capacitor to the HID bulb. Another disappointment. Although I used a CANBUS ballast and a capacitor, it didn't work well with the DRL system. The HID bulb would just start flickering as soon as you turn on any other electric component, such as turn signal, brake light or even shifting in D or R.
So the kit I purchased based on suppliers recommendations didn't work. I had another option: try the HID system I had installed on my motorcycle, which used the same H7 bulb. This one didn't have a CANBUS ballast, just a digital slim balast. So I connected to the capacitor (for DRL override) and it worked amazingly - no problem at all. I tested it with all the other electric component on and the flickering problem disappeared, as well the check low beam bulb error message in the dashboard.
I removed the system from my motorcycle and installed it on the ML. It worked great and I must tell, it's a huge difference compared with the OEM halogen bulbs. I mean it. I used 5000K Xenon bulb, as this is the brightest color temperature and it's almost the same as the OEM Xenon available on other MB vehicles. Not to mention the looks...
All went well until I drove it and tested it in daylight. The automated DRL system is trying to switch off the low beams and boost the LED lights located in the bumper. When it does that, it also runs some sort of test on the current low beam lights and since they are lower wattage (35W vs 55W from OEM halogen bulb) it starts flickering again 3-4 times (each side, one at a time) then after few minutes it stabilizes itself and works properly.
I am still looking for the right ballast and capacitor that would eliminate this phantom flickering issue (which occurs only during daylight - at night, it works perfectly with no issues, no problem or error messages). If I can't find it, I'll probably go back to the OEM halogen bulbs (which in my opinion sucks big time) and wait for the next vehicle which will be ordered with the OEM Bi-Xenon package.

Just wanted to share my experience so far with this whole Xenon thing.

If anyone had a better experience, please share it with us. I want to hear what you guys did.

Thanks.
G
Same exact thing happen to me! I did this maybe a week after having my truck in the first week of Dec. Flickering like crazy during the day, and i refuse to not leave the lites on auto.

The key is that the Truck needs to be coded by a Benz tech...no way around it.

Message me after the Holidays, Getting mine done next week.