M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

As of Saturday June, 16th. 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz ML350
As of Saturday June, 16th. 2012

Well, I am no longer a ML350 owner, I traded it in for a Ford F150 to fit my lifestyle. I thought I could be the guy that would love the leather, high class soft touch materials and of course the Mercedes-Benz name. I couldn't do it, I live a lifestyle that is too vigourous for the ML350. I frequently haul materials for yard work, weekends get quite dirty. I didn't/couldn't get the ML350 dirty, I didn't want to risk scratching the trunk space, leather and more. It was too annoying that the ML350 with all seats down was always 1 -2 feet short for just about everything I need to take home. I found that I am just not the luxury kind of guy, although I can appericate good quality luxury when I see it, our ML350 showed my family that. It wasn't the ML350 that was lacking, it was me expecting too much out of a mid-size SUV.

The ML350 was a great vehicle for its specific purpose. The small things I didn't like about the vehicle were shadowed by the quality and the design of the ML350. I will still consider the ML350 as best in class. Service was perfect and is something that will be missed. Mercedes has built a solid SUV, and I am very glad to have been a part of the family.

Today we drove about 85 miles from the dealer to home and average 24 mpg. So the mpg is not as high as the ML350, which is expected. I now use 87 fuel and when I fill-r-up need to put in 36 gallons or about 118 bucks. 20 bucks more to fill up over the ML.

My Ford F150 is an FX4 with Twin Turbo V6. With Appearance Package with all black everything. Sticker was round 51K yet Fathers Day incentives took care of that.

Last edited by jweezy; 06-17-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
You didn't know your needs before wasting all that money on the ML?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
That is a terrific looking truck, jweezy! I did the same thing, only in reverse. About 12 years ago I sold off my lake property and bass boat. Those were the days I did a lot of hauling and towing and owned trucks. I liked them a lot and have owned three trucks since. Then I got thinking that those three trucks never hauled a thing except maybe a bag or two of mulch and some golf bags. I never even put a trailer hitch on them so why did I need a truck? I never went off road either. I concluded I did not "need" a truck but continued to buy them because I liked them and thought they were neat.

I decided my next car would be an SUV, sort of a compromise between the ruggedness I liked (but did not need) and the luxury and comfort of a four door sedan. Like you, I'm not a four door sedan kind of guy so an SUV seemed the logical choice. But I could not stand not having a "truck". My Ridgeline was perfect for me in that it was mid-size and comfortable with enough guts for my needs but not a work pick'em-up truck, if you know what I mean. So I kept it. Now I have the best of both worlds, at least until I decide to sell the truck later this year.

The point is you have to do what makes you happy and if the ML does not fit your needs and desires there is no doubt the Ford will. And if you have Eco-boost you will be way ahead at the gas pump.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
You didn't know your needs before wasting all that money on the ML?
I did, and still do. When the ML350 came out no one on this forum can deny it is a sexy SUV. I made it fit into my lifestyle.

I will not lie I did put the ML350 to do "mans" work before. I had about 1200 lbs in the trunk with the seats down many times. there is way to many places dirt falls in the ML350 that is very hard to get. One time I had wall stones in the back and I rolled down the windows, bad idea. Dirt got everywhere on the dash, between every place on the ML350 - took about 30 mins to clean later. With the F150 truck bed I don't have to worry about that.

I bought it primarly for my wife, however I used it more than she did - it fit her lifestyle more than mine. She has a 135i, which I couldn't do anything with other than speed. She loves the F150 and is very happy with it.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by shortspark
That is a terrific looking truck, jweezy! I did the same thing, only in reverse. About 12 years ago I sold off my lake property and bass boat. Those were the days I did a lot of hauling and towing and owned trucks. I liked them a lot and have owned three trucks since. Then I got thinking that those three trucks never hauled a thing except maybe a bag or two of mulch and some golf bags. I never even put a trailer hitch on them so why did I need a truck? I never went off road either. I concluded I did not "need" a truck but continued to buy them because I liked them and thought they were neat.

I decided my next car would be an SUV, sort of a compromise between the ruggedness I liked (but did not need) and the luxury and comfort of a four door sedan. Like you, I'm not a four door sedan kind of guy so an SUV seemed the logical choice. But I could not stand not having a "truck". My Ridgeline was perfect for me in that it was mid-size and comfortable with enough guts for my needs but not a work pick'em-up truck, if you know what I mean. So I kept it. Now I have the best of both worlds, at least until I decide to sell the truck later this year.

The point is you have to do what makes you happy and if the ML does not fit your needs and desires there is no doubt the Ford will. And if you have Eco-boost you will be way ahead at the gas pump.
I see and understand your point of view and will agree on everything you stated. My wife didn't want me to get a truck, I had a budget at that time and for the best SUV in that price range was the ML350. If I couldn't get a truck why not get the best mid-size SUV on the market? We found that I complained about what the ML350 couldn't do for me than what it could. We did not want an SUV, a Full-size truck and a car. With the baby coming in August we changed our mind to having a Full-size truck and a car (which my wife loves the Kia Optima, which we are buying tomorrow). There is nothing the ML can do that the F150 can't do.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
What I will say is that the navigation system and SYNC/Myford touch is better than the COMMAND system in my ML350. Everything I wish the Command system could do the MYFORD touch does or does it better. Not just saying it because I just bought the truck, I am being very honest.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
So you were going to sell your ML after your girlfriend got pregnant due to concerns about money and instead traded it in on a new truck at about the same cost? They do sell used trucks out there you know.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM

2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by jweezy
What I will say is that the navigation system and SYNC/Myford touch is better than the COMMAND system in my ML350. Everything I wish the Command system could do the MYFORD touch does or does it better. Not just saying it because I just bought the truck, I am being very honest.
My business partner has a new Explorer Limited and she hates the Sync system and it gets negative reviews all over the place. Poor voice recognition, locks up, etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue
So you were going to sell your ML after your girlfriend got pregnant due to concerns about money and instead traded it in on a new truck at about the same cost? They do sell used trucks out there you know.
My wife?

They do, however I wanted this one with these features. I did have my ML350 for sale, we weren't selling the ML350 because we needed* to it was because we wanted* to. If money was the primary concern I wouldn't have been able to get a 50K truck with wife approval.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM

2016 GLE 350d
Sorry I didn't realize you got married since posting this in your ML For Sale posting a few months ago...

-
TundraRoads:

Is this a trick question? LOL, Its my girlwifefriends just kidding. We are engaged...I just call her my wife because we have been living together for 5 years now. Once we are married nothing will change other than the ring on her finger.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
My business partner has a new Explorer Limited and she hates the Sync system and it gets negative reviews all over the place. Poor voice recognition, locks up, etc.
Although, I have heard bad things about the SYNC/My Touch system. I have also heard bad things about the COMMAND system. There are a lot more good things, than bad on each system. Regardless, they have revised the system in 2012 model years. If you ever MYTOUCH - the COMMAND system will feel dated.

Just to show, on the COMMAND system of the ML350 it only shows weather(travel link). On the Ford is shows weather, more graphically with more information - shows movie times, any sports scores(real-time) and news, and more. Shows gas prices of all gas stations in the area. The radar map is also more detailed.

The navigation system shows 1000% more information on the map of all food, shopping, gas, malls, grocery graphically on the map. No more searching for something specific. Just click on the locations icon it tells you phone number, address, and other options. Searching for something on the benz which is not listed on the map (which is minimal anyway) is not something quickly accomplished. Traffic information is also better with MYFORD.

Sirius station listings are more graphical also

MYTouch also shows more information on one screen. You can have 1 screen divided into 3 different sections (1 showing navigation/another showing sirus information and another showing temp controls and information.

The information displayed on the tech between gauges tells the driver a lot more information to, better mpg information. Vehicle pitch, which wheels are proving power, and also tilt degrees in all directions.

On major thing the SYNC dominates on is the cell phone catagory. There is too much to talk on concerning that, so I won't even go into it.

I am really not being bias, it's an honest review. I would like anyone to go to the Ford dealership and just test it out(2012 F150 it is different on Escape and Explorer). I will admit sometimes I reach down looking for the navigation knob.

Last edited by jweezy; 06-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Sorry I didn't realize you got married since posting this in your ML For Sale posting a few months ago...
I understand - we were engaged for about 6 months - got married a couple weeks ago.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350BTC
I've driven pickups for nearly 15 years. One was a 2500 diesel to tow a heavy boat. Absolutely loved the vehicle. No doubt of the convenience of being able to put stuff in the bed, and attach toys to the back end. 2500 with a diesel is every bit as fuel efficient as the 1500 if you gear it properly and if 4x4 is important to you. On a prior SUV, I've experienced your concerns with the interior getting dirty with messy loads. But, as I've gotten older, the bed is used much less, the ride is too rough, and too loud. The extra length is a pain to maneuver in traffic and in parking lots.

No way the interior of a pickup will be as quiet as the ML350, as fuel efficient (weren't you getting 30 on your ML350), or as easy to get into and out of tight situations. While you can option-up a pickup quite a bit, there's no comparison with the ML. For my money, I decided our local uhaul will rent me a 5x8 trailer for the (very infrequent for me) dirty loads and I'll still be way ahead $-wise and other-wise with the ML. And, I don't have to clean the trailer.

shortspark is right-on. Do what makes you happy. Grin and bear it if it ends up costing more in the long run.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:04 PM

F250-Mustang GT-ML350BT
Originally Posted by AZHiker
I've driven pickups for nearly 15 years. One was a 2500 diesel to tow a heavy boat. Absolutely loved the vehicle. No doubt of the convenience of being able to put stuff in the bed, and attach toys to the back end. 2500 with a diesel is every bit as fuel efficient as the 1500 if you gear it properly and if 4x4 is important to you. On a prior SUV, I've experienced your concerns with the interior getting dirty with messy loads. But, as I've gotten older, the bed is used much less, the ride is too rough, and too loud. The extra length is a pain to maneuver in traffic and in parking lots.

No way the interior of a pickup will be as quiet as the ML350, as fuel efficient (weren't you getting 30 on your ML350), or as easy to get into and out of tight situations. While you can option-up a pickup quite a bit, there's no comparison with the ML. For my money, I decided our local uhaul will rent me a 5x8 trailer for the (very infrequent for me) dirty loads and I'll still be way ahead $-wise and other-wise with the ML. And, I don't have to clean the trailer.

shortspark is right-on. Do what makes you happy. Grin and bear it if it ends up costing more in the long run.
When the engine is broken in he will get 40-45 miles to the gallon.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM

ML350 4Matic
Great looking truck! That's the first I have seen of the appearance package. Luckily I have the best of both worlds, ML350 for the wife and a F-150 FX2 Ecoboost for me. I agree with you on the Ford Sync, it completely blows the MB Command away. We actually prefer the F-150 on long road trips, it rides smoother than the ML. After owning BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's and a few Benz, my F-150 is the best all around vehicle for my current lifestyle. Maybe MB will come out with a truck someday ???
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Best of both worlds? Got it right here!!:
Attached Thumbnails As of Saturday June, 16th. 2012-009.jpg   As of Saturday June, 16th. 2012-008.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by AZHiker

The ML is very small in comparison in size, you are correct with getting in and out of parking spaces. The MPG is lower also which is expected like you said. The ride is a tad be louder and rough which is also expected. The truck is not made to provide a smoother quick ride its made for putting 2200 lbs in the bed and towing 11K pounds. I agree with what you are stating.

I also understand your point of the needs, if every week was not to load it with trees, plants, dirt, mulch, stones, concrete(a lot) and wood, dirty it and hauling the ML would be perfect. I still loved the SUV - yet the truck is more useful for me.

I was getting upto 29 - 30mpg hwy (hard to believe I know). Yet when you compare the cost of 93 and 87 then compare 6 mpg more - its not much right?

I can't say the seats in the front are more comfortable than the Benz, however I will say the rears are more comfortable in the rear of the F150 than the Benz. Mostly, because they are softer (dont recline) however there is about 12"inches maybe more rear leg room in the F150.

The leg room is better for me in the F150 (I am 6'6 tall).

I did not go and buy a luxury truck, so no leather dash or attention assist. I will miss my ML350, although I love the truck.

Live and you learn right? At least now I can say I owned a Benz!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by shagin wagon
Great looking truck! That's the first I have seen of the appearance package. Luckily I have the best of both worlds, ML350 for the wife and a F-150 FX2 Ecoboost for me. I agree with you on the Ford Sync, it completely blows the MB Command away. We actually prefer the F-150 on long road trips, it rides smoother than the ML. After owning BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's and a few Benz, my F-150 is the best all around vehicle for my current lifestyle. Maybe MB will come out with a truck someday ???
Nice! We just picked up a Optima SX last night its really nice and really want she wanted. She is not the luxury kind of person, like likes the power and the comfort. And there is a crazy amount of leg room in the rear seats. How do you like your EcoBoost? I had no idea that the SYNC/MYTouch was so advanced and had all those tools. I was actually kinda upset my ML350 didn't have them. The bluetooth quality is amazing. Although I wish the sat. for sirius was a tad bit stronger if I go into very wooded areas it seems break signal from time to time. However, it doesn't cut when I go under a bridge like the ML. What the hell?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM

2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by serge01

Yeah I guess the hypermiling ML driver won't be collecting his free tank of gas from me anytime soon.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by serge01
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Mercedes-Benz ML350

Yeah I guess the hypermiling ML driver won't be collecting his free tank of gas from me anytime soon.
What is really crazy is I did make a trip down to my grandmother again a while ago and took a couple of pics on the way up. Which it doesn't matter now, so its all good. I am only getting low 20s right now and that's all that matters. I don't pictures are enough to prove anything - **** the F150 in my first post could be B.S to right?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Great looking F-150, best of luck..
Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML350
Originally Posted by Cyber GS
Great looking F-150, best of luck..
Thanks, however that is a beast looking Vette. Before I wanted got the ML350 I was looking at a Dark Grey Grand Sport Vette. with Grey wheels. Wifey didn't think it was family friendly, we both loved it though...and it gets great gas milage.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Thanks, however that is a beast looking Vette. Before I wanted got the ML350 I was looking at a Dark Grey Grand Sport Vette. with Grey wheels. Wifey didn't think it was family friendly, we both loved it though...and it gets great gas milage.
Thank you...

Yeah, it's a beast and a blast to drive nothing like a 6 speed to getting my blood going... And yes you are correct it gets great mileage.. If you drive it normal and not always get on it (which is difficult) I have seen 28 mpg on the highway averaging 67-70 mph..