M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Dealer Preparation Fee

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M350
Dealer Preparation Fee

I noticed my salesman have included a $ 225 dollar price for dealer preparation fee! I am not happy about it. Hubby thinks I am being petty.225 dollar is a few Tanks OF GAS. WHY SHOULD I PAY HIM FOR DOING WHAT HE HAS TO DO, IE REMOVE PLASTIC, WASH CAR, ETC TO A VEHICLE THEY ARE SELLING! UGH. THINGS LIKE THIS AGGRAVATES ME. DID ANYONE ELSE GET CHARGED FOR THIS?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 cls550 x 2, 2008 clk350 cab, 1990 300sl
Originally Posted by CeeCee510
I noticed my salesman have included a $ 225 dollar price for dealer preparation fee! I am not happy about it. Hubby thinks I am being petty.225 dollar is a few Tanks OF GAS. WHY SHOULD I PAY HIM FOR DOING WHAT HE HAS TO DO, IE REMOVE PLASTIC, WASH CAR, ETC TO A VEHICLE THEY ARE SELLING! UGH. THINGS LIKE THIS AGGRAVATES ME. DID ANYONE ELSE GET CHARGED FOR THIS?
all the stuff you said has nothing to do with the pre delivery inspection.
the pdi takes aprox 2 hrs and the car is gone over top to bottom and connected to DAS to ensure that everything was done correctly at the factory and all levels checked and adjusted since not all levers are where they should be for shipping.

tire pressures set to proper lever, they come with 50-60 psi to prevent flat spots from shipping. sometimes a car can sit for months in port before it shows up at the dealer. the under side is checked to ensure no damage from shipping and all suspension is tight and no damage.

the pdi is more of a final quality control check to a very specific set check list to make sure that once you get your car you will be good to go with no issues....worth every cent!

you will get a copy of the check list when you get the vehcile on delivery day, well you should anyways.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:30 AM

M350
Originally Posted by deloreandriven
all the stuff you said has nothing to do with the pre delivery inspection.
the pdi takes aprox 2 hrs and the car is gone over top to bottom and connected to DAS to ensure that everything was done correctly at the factory and all levels checked and adjusted since not all levers are where they should be for shipping.

tire pressures set to proper lever, they come with 50-60 psi to prevent flat spots from shipping. sometimes a car can sit for months in port before it shows up at the dealer. the under side is checked to ensure no damage from shipping and all suspension is tight and no damage.

the pdi is more of a final quality control check to a very specific set check list to make sure that once you get your car you will be good to go with no issues....worth every cent!

you will get a copy of the check list when you get the vehcile on delivery day, well you should anyways.
My salesman stated to me when I ask him about the "other charges" that it was for removing the plastic, filling it up with gas cleaning etc. You would think that doing what it takes to get the car ready for sale is what is expected. I have never seen this charge before. If I knew this I should have charged more for cleaning out the car I just sold.SMH. Everything I have read says this is just a added charge dealer charge to recoup money they have given you off the price. Quality check is something any dealership should do because its their job .
Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
It is just another "profit" line item to the dealer.
All dealers try to stuff their bottom with these fees.
So after you sit down to sign the paperwork, happy that you think you've negociated a great deal on the price of the car, than Whammo! all these TT&L & junk fees/charges hit.
One dealer tried to put into $100 of "Dealer Inventory Taxes". Well, in Texas, that's what the dealer pays the state in taxes while it sits on their lot as inventory. By law, the dealer is supposed to pay that tax, but the dealer tries to make you pay for it. I refused, Finance Manager tries to call the Sales Manager & plays the guilt trip routine that I refuses to pay for it. He finally removes it.
I think the only other junk fee we're liable for is doc fee ($125 in Texas).

So I think this "Dealer Prep Fee" is just another junk fee. Don't pay it, since it's their job to deliver to you a clean prepared car!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Have purchased many new MB's over the years and new other makes also. I have never paid a dealer preparation fee and I would not. Some manufacturers compensate the dealers for prep not certain about MB. I think if this was sprung on me at purchase or at delivery I would walk. Its not the amount but the principle of the thing.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM

M350
Originally Posted by sosh
Have purchased many new MB's over the years and new other makes also. I have never paid a dealer preparation fee and I would not. Some manufacturers compensate the dealers for prep not certain about MB. I think if this was sprung on me at purchase or at delivery I would walk. Its not the amount but the principle of the thing.
I agree with you. Unfortunately my hubby didn't and had no problem with it. Note to self, Next time I must leave him @ home!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Just picked up mine this week and no such fee applied. All the usual dealer add ons (paint sealant, prepaid service, etc.) I was able to opt out of by not signing the sheet.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 AM

X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
I don't care what fees the dealer tries to charge!

When I buy, I negotiate a price inclusive of all, including the number plates. Once we agree on the price we shake hands and immediately sign a contract. That is the price I pay regardless how long it takes the dealer to deliver.

And like Greg, I refuse those overpriced and unneccessary paint/rust/fabric treatments.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:24 AM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
I guess I have never realized what a good dealer I have been dealing with. Either that, or they just know me well enough not to pull all that crap. The PDI that Deloreandriven mentions is covered by the fee that M-B charges and is built into the price. The $225 is a dealer grab.

FYI, I have never been offered the paint and upholstery protection, nitrogen, etc. at my dealer and I'd like to think that is they way it is at all dealers, but it doesn't sound that way!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by CeeCee510
I agree with you. Unfortunately my hubby didn't and had no problem with it. Note to self, Next time I must leave him @ home!
Sounds like your hubby is easilly sucked into the sales pitches. Perhaps you should control the purse strings in your family. Now why don't my customers act like him??
Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
When I sign the contract I cross out any charges I don't agree with and subtract it from the bottom line. I then hand it back to the finance guy and let him deal with it. Once I sign the contract its up to them. I have never had a dealer not sell me the car. And I have purchased a lot of cars.

Remember, you are the one with the $ and you control the game. Without you and your $ they are dead in the water and they know it. They just try to play hard ball.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM

M350
Originally Posted by sosh
Sounds like your hubby is easilly sucked into the sales pitches. Perhaps you should control the purse strings in your family. Now why don't my customers act like him??
He is a kind heart person and remember the days when he was younger and relied on tips etc. I say there is a difference in tips etc and ripping me off. Most dealers /Salesperson are FOS. I don't like someone pissing on my leg and telling me its raining!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM

Porsche Cayenne
I had a dealer once tell me that in a car deal everything is negotiable except tax and tags, which are direct pass throughs to DMV.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by WCCPHD
I had a dealer once tell me that in a car deal everything is negotiable except tax and tags, which are direct pass throughs to DMV.
You forgot the required "Doc Fee"

They also try to be very creative in what they consider "Taxes" & "Tags"...

There's gotta be a legal cheatsheet that the Gov or some consumer protection agency/company can provide in every large county to keep us consumers from getting ripped off...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 PM

03 M5
Originally Posted by NickTH
You forgot the required "Doc Fee"

They also try to be very creative in what they consider "Taxes" & "Tags"...

There's gotta be a legal cheatsheet that the Gov or some consumer protection agency/company can provide in every large county to keep us consumers from getting ripped off...

For California, the DMV provides this site which states how much the taxes, registration fee, etc should be. Just plug in the data,

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
The only dealer prep charges I have seen has been on Detroit Iron and even then it could be negotiated away depending upon how hungry they were.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Porsche Cayenne
"Doc Fees" are not required in NC. This is just another money maker for the dealership. I never pay a doc fee, only the required title transfer, tag and highway tax.