M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2012 ML350 Hesitation and Dealer Denial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
Unhappy 2012 ML350 Hesitation and Dealer Denial

Hey folks. I hope this is not too much of a retread. But desperate for help. Just bought a 2012 ML350 a month ago and there is some hesitation on acceleration. It is frustrating. Took it back to the dealer and they could not reproduce it and tell me they researched and do not see this issue documented anywhere in the entire US. When I accelerate because it is not going anywhere I end up gunning the engine to get it to go. If you could provide information about what you experienced and what was done to your vehicle. I need to use this as evidence to the dealer.
Thanks for your help
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 AM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Gas or diesel?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
If its a diesel then I had the same problem and its a well documented problem that the head mechanic at my dealership was aware of and has been in communication with Germany about. I raised hell about it and got out of the deal into a 550. PM me if you want my dealership name and mechanics name to call.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM

ml350
It is a gas engine. Not sure if it is a transmission issue or a fuel injection issue. But I press on the gas and it just is not going anywhere fast. But it does not happen all the time. My wifes car. I actually do not like driving it. Paying nearly 60k for a car and not liking how it drives is crazy to me. Sorry for the rant...
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Originally Posted by shonuff247
It is a gas engine. Not sure if it is a transmission issue or a fuel injection issue. But I press on the gas and it just is not going anywhere fast. But it does not happen all the time. My wifes car. I actually do not like driving it. Paying nearly 60k for a car and not liking how it drives is crazy to me. Sorry for the rant...
Doesn't sound right to me. I test drove the gas and it was very responsive and quick from a dead stop. Though I was surprised at the louder than expected engine noise that I considered a bit course.

The diesel was smoother and very quiet under heavy acceleration. But it did have a lag.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
The diesels have a well documented problem with hesitation (mine included).Gas engines...I can't comment.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Its been my experience that the dealer will not try to fix anything without the computer giving them a code. No code, no repair. It seems the favorite response from the dealer is they can not duplicate the problem.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by listerone
The diesels have a well documented problem with hesitation (mine included).Gas engines...I can't comment.
Does it still do it after the software update?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by shonuff247
Hey folks. I hope this is not too much of a retread. But desperate for help. Just bought a 2012 ML350 a month ago and there is some hesitation on acceleration. It is frustrating. Took it back to the dealer and they could not reproduce it and tell me they researched and do not see this issue documented anywhere in the entire US. When I accelerate because it is not going anywhere I end up gunning the engine to get it to go. If you could provide information about what you experienced and what was done to your vehicle. I need to use this as evidence to the dealer.
Thanks for your help
I had the same issues on my '12 ML350 Bluetec. There is a software update that will fix the issue. Ask for it. In my case, the hesitation would be there only at cold start but would go away after a block or two of driving... anyways, the update took care of the issue.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by Bodpa
I had the same issues on my '12 ML350 Bluetec. There is a software update that will fix the issue. Ask for it. In my case, the hesitation would be there only at cold start but would go away after a block or two of driving... anyways, the update took care of the issue.
He said he has a gas, not diesel. My gas has no such issues.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM

2012 ML350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
He said he has a gas, not diesel. My gas has no such issues.
Apologies
Old 11-22-2014, 10:52 AM

2012 ML 350 Bluetec
Diesel Blues

Have 2012 ML Bluetec with approx 35,000 miles and experiencing hesitation or "stumbling" upon acceleration. Mine seems to occur during the first 1/2" or so of accelerator pedal travel - regardless of speed.

Quite obvious accelerating from a stop or slow roll - not so obvious if cruising down the highway, but I turned off the radio, turned down the fan, and paid attention - there it was - same or similar 'stumbling' / 'hesitation'. Idle is very smooth, pedal down acceleration is very good.... so what is it?

Initial dealer reaction was "nothing wrong" saying they could not duplicate the problem. I brought it back and insisted someone either drive it or ride in the car with me to witness. Sure enough, quite the hesitation, so into the dealer it went. After about a week or so, it was pronounced "fixed".

However, after driving out of the dealership - not more than 100yds - it hesitated while pulling out of the parking lot and almost launched me into busy traffic right outside the dealership.

I let the 1/2 tank of fuel run down to reserve and filled up with diesel from a busy station, let that run down to about 3/8, then put in (2) bottles of Techron - drove a few miles, then filled up again. After a full day, the hesitation abated noticeably, but was still present.

My children have a late model VW diesel and do not experience this hesitation, and our old 1981 240D never has any hesitation. And my aunt's 2014 Chevy Cruze diesel has NO hesitation!

By the way, the dealership originally said my case was unique, but upon recently taking it for a check engine light on, the service mgr mentioned that since my visit, several other MB diesels have been in for the same or similar problem. Service tech believes it is fuel related. I partially agree.

In my locale (NJ) state regulations require fuel formulations to change with
the seasons. This could produce some driveability problems.

But wait a minute! We're not talking VW or Chevy Cruze here, we're talking Mercedes Benz - - for which I paid just a tad extra for better performance.

The fact that the pedal position produces the same hesitation regardless of vehicle speed tells me that this may be a software problem and the design of the fuel injectors may not be as tolerant of varying fuel formulations as required in the American market.

I will be taking my ML 350 Bluetec back into the dealership next week for another go at this problem - 2nd time. Want to be sure to have this documented before the clock runs out on the warranty.

I have been treated courteously by the dealership and they have acknowledged the problem - which is a start - but so far no fix. Will post again in a couple weeks to let you know what happened.

Anyone else having hesitation as I have described?

Anyone had their vehicle fixed?
Old 11-22-2014, 11:24 AM

2012 ML350
Software update?

I assume your dealership has ensured that the vehicle has had all the software updates done. I had similar problems as you describe, a software update by the dealer fixed it.

Originally Posted by 2012MLBLUETEC
Have 2012 ML Bluetec with approx 35,000 miles and experiencing hesitation or "stumbling" upon acceleration. Mine seems to occur during the first 1/2" or so of accelerator pedal travel - regardless of speed.

Quite obvious accelerating from a stop or slow roll - not so obvious if cruising down the highway, but I turned off the radio, turned down the fan, and paid attention - there it was - same or similar 'stumbling' / 'hesitation'. Idle is very smooth, pedal down acceleration is very good.... so what is it?

By the way, the dealership originally said my case was unique, but upon recently taking it for a check engine light on, the service mgr mentioned that since my visit, several other MB diesels have been in for the same or similar problem. Service tech believes it is fuel related. I partially agree.

But wait a minute! We're not talking VW or Chevy Cruze here, we're talking Mercedes Benz - - for which I paid just a tad extra for better performance.

The fact that the pedal position produces the same hesitation regardless of vehicle speed tells me that this may be a software problem and the design of the fuel injectors may not be as tolerant of varying fuel formulations as required in the American market.

I will be taking my ML 350 Bluetec back into the dealership next week for another go at this problem - 2nd time. Want to be sure to have this documented before the clock runs out on the warranty.

I have been treated courteously by the dealership and they have acknowledged the problem - which is a start - but so far no fix. Will post again in a couple weeks to let you know what happened.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 PM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350

Initial dealer reaction was "nothing wrong" saying they could not duplicate the problem. I brought it back and insisted someone either drive it or ride in the car with me to witness. Sure enough, quite the hesitation, so into the dealer it went. After about a week or so, it was pronounced "fixed".

However, after driving out of the dealership - not more than 100yds - it hesitated while pulling out of the parking lot and almost launched me into busy traffic right outside the dealership.

I let the 1/2 tank of fuel run down to reserve and filled up with diesel from a busy station, let that run down to about 3/8, then put in (2) bottles of Techron - drove a few miles, then filled up again. After a full day, the hesitation abated noticeably, but was still present.

My children have a late model VW diesel and do not experience this hesitation, and our old 1981 240D never has any hesitation. And my aunt's 2014 Chevy Cruze diesel has NO hesitation!

I had experienced this on my 2011 & 2012 ML350's (both GAS) and it's very frustrating..

On the 2011 the dealer adjusted the shift adaptions several times only for the hesitation to come back after several weeks each time. Then MB did a software update that once again worked for a short period of time before the hesitation came back.

On the 2012 MB did a software update that made it better but the hesitation was still there.. MB claimed the ML was "operating as designed".

The service manager and shop foreman both test drove it with me and experienced the hesitation crossing an intersection while I was in the back. This was one of many close calls both me and my wife had encountered.

Even though we just had a close call crossing the intersection their response was, "there's nothing wrong, they're all like this". To which I responded "well that doesn't make it right".

We lived with the hesitation until we turned it in. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450

Check out my thread, I had a bucking issue, not sure if that's similar to your issue https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...g-bucking.html
Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
I too experienced hesitation when accelerating on occasion, as documented in my regular dealer service history. MB also told me it was nothing to worry about so it was never fully resolved. I'm now faced with an engine failure on the same 2010 ML350 Bluetec, as tracked in my posts here: https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html
Old 08-26-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic, 2011 335i; 2006 C230 (sold 4 yrs ago)
Just accidentally stumbled onto this thread but I have a 2012 E350 4Matic which would also have the same 7g+ transmission as the ML. So same drivetrain in a different car. Owned it 3 to 4 months. No problems stalling or shifting hard at first. Car went in for a minor rear main seal leak (under warranty) and after I got it back the problems began.

When the car is cold, it has a lag, then shifts very hard in the 1 -2 shift. Once it warms up it lessened the problem but if it sat awhile it it would start this problem again. It was a dangerous situation if you pulled in front of a moving car because it essentially stalled in a dangerous situation, then kicked hard and took off. It mostly seemed to be a transmission issue but could have been a fueling (stall) issue.
Dealership reflashed engine and trans software - Then inspected and tested the fueling such as fuel pressure. They replace the accelerator pedal assembly....all with no change. They got the OK from MB to start tearing down the transmission and inspect certain parts. Eventually it looked like it could be the 'B" bands of the trnasmission but they were on a 4 month back order. At this point I had been in the loaner 5 weeks. They got MB to approve putting in a NEW transmission which just finished up today. They tell me it drives like new and the problem is resolved. After 7 1/2 weeks, I pick it up in the morning and it is supposedly fixed.
I'm just sharing this as a reference for others that may have issues like this. I'm really really pleased that my dealership went the extra mile to chase this down and get MB involved when I know other dealers wouldn't have put in this effort. And I didn't even buy my car from the MB dealer.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 PM

2010 ML350 Diesel Blutec
2010 ml350 blutec hesitation problem

I have been having this problem for years. I finally had to get a hold of the corporate office and they contact the dealership who said they fixed it. I have had it in and out of the shop. Last time was several months ago and they service department in anchorage said they drove it and found nothing. I am so frustrated. I finally have had it and today my husband is taking it in. If they don't do something I don't know what I will do. The first time they had my car in their service department it was there for over a month for this problem. Mercedes needs to step up and acknowledge this for the price of these vehicles it is not acceptable.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic, 2011 335i; 2006 C230 (sold 4 yrs ago)
Update- Mine has been working flawlessly for the past 8 months since the transmission replacement. My confidence is restored.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 MERCEDES ML350 BLUETEC, MERCEDES ML W163, MERCEDES W124,MERCEDES W205
IT HAPPEND TO ME AND I THINK IT IS A SMALL PROBLEM THAT MECHANICS CAN'T FIX IF THEY ARE NOT MB EXPERTS THERE IS A TURBO COOLER ETC FUSE WHICH IS SEPARATED AND YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IT AND IT WILL WORK.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 AM

2010 ML350 Diesel Blutec
Well i just got my 2010 ml350 diesel blutec back from the service department, they said they replaced the torque convertor and said they are not sure but think this will solve the hesitation when i give my car gas. i hope so i am still not very satisfied with the Mercedez Benz because they are still not acknowledging the problem but just trying different things to try and fix it. not happy!!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 AM

ml 350 bluetec
hi where is the turbo cooler ETC fuse on the ml 350 bluets?