M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Interior lights turn on when I approach without key...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Interior lights turn on when I approach without key...

Last night I walked over to my locked truck and looked in the driver's window. As I moved closer to the mirror the cluster lights turned on. Then the followed by the dash lights.

I didn't have my keys on me nor were they in 100 foot radius of the truck. I tried to open the truck thinking it was strange but it remained locked. I've looked in the passenger side window a dozen times before last night while it was locked but the truck remained dark.

I did some google searches and scanned through the user manual but couldn't find out why this happens or if was even normal.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
Do you believe in Ghosts?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Was the window open or closed? If you enter the cab through the window (even the tip of your nose) the cluster will turn on. I am out of state right now and can't check my ML350 to be sure of all this but this is what I remember. In the situation you described, the cluster lights will say something like "key not detected".

Even if the window you looked in was closed, a reflection back to the sensor via the windshield, rear view mirror or other glass object would trigger it just as easily (I assume there is some sort of sensor in the cab that detects intrusion). Moving closer to the side mirror might have provided the sensor all the reflection it needed. Experiment with this both with windows open and closed and report back to us. I will make a note of this myself and when I return home next week I will try it as well.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
Originally Posted by 27trout
Last night I walked over to my locked truck and looked in the driver's window. As I moved closer to the mirror the cluster lights turned on. Then the followed by the dash lights.

I didn't have my keys on me nor were they in 100 foot radius of the truck. I tried to open the truck thinking it was strange but it remained locked. I've looked in the passenger side window a dozen times before last night while it was locked but the truck remained dark.

I did some google searches and scanned through the user manual but couldn't find out why this happens or if was even normal.
I think that is normal. Before I got my 550, I would go to the dealership at night when it is closed to look. What you described happened and the ambient lights turns on as well if it is there. Same thing happened when I got my car. I think the Cluster says no keys is detected near by.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 PM
27T

13ML BT
Yes, "key not detected" appears. Windows were definitely closed.

The lights turning on is normal apparently. Not sure the reason for it.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
That would certainly freak out a car thief...
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Checked mine out and could not get anything to light up.

So perhaps your pacemaker is overpowering, or else I would consider emran's suggestion.

A last thought - do you have the Anti-theft package?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
27T

13ML BT
I figured it out after some tests.. If you have keyless go and you touch any of the four door handles, the interior lights turn on and you get the "no key detected" message in the cluster. It has nothing to do with where you stand.

I'm presuming it is to let the driver know that key is not on him/her and that's why he/she cannot get in. I imagine many people, especially women, forget the key if they change their routine in any way, say change a purse, because some drivers rarely ever see they key and begin to have a feeling that the truck will open just by touch. How many calls does the dealership get from perplexed owners saying that there is a problem with their ML because the doors will not unlock...likely more than I ever thought.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by 27trout
I figured it out after some tests.. If you have keyless go and you touch any of the four door handles, the interior lights turn on and you get the "no key detected" message in the cluster. It has nothing to do with where you stand.

I'm presuming it is to let the driver know that key is not on him/her and that's why he/she cannot get in. I imagine many people, especially women, forget the key if they change their routine in any way, say change a purse, because some drivers rarely ever see they key and begin to have a feeling that the truck will open just by touch. How many calls does the dealership get from perplexed owners saying that there is a problem with their ML because the doors will not unlock...likely more than I ever thought.
x2