M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Designo Interior Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Designo Interior Questions

I will be placing an order soon for a 13' ML350bt. I am strongly considering the Designo interior in the Marron color (USA so diamond pattern). I can't see it in person so any advice would be appreciated, particularly from those who have seen this interior in person, although all advice is welcome.

1) Is the brown Marron color a true neutral warm looking brown color or is there a lot of red/maroon in it? If it's a bit too red or an odd color, I might find it annoying over time. What are your thoughts on this color/interior?
2) What wood interior accents go best with the Marron Designo interior? Photos seem to show Satin Ash the most.
3)Steering wheel: If I go with the wood wheel, what type of wood should I specify on the wheel? This wood wheel detail should be made in light of your answer to question#2.

4) A wood wheel looks so nice with the Designo interior, so that's where I am leaning, (even though I live in New England and I should go with the heated wheel). How does the wood wheel, compare to the very pricey Designo wheel? If I decided to go with no wood, should I go with a Designo wheel? If so, in what color leather/wood?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by MB.Suv; 01-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
I assume that you are referring to Auburn Brown, not maroon. I have an ML63 w/ the auburn brown interior and satin ash wood. I've also seen an ML350 w/ the same combination, but not at the same time, so I didn't have a side-by-side comparison. With that said, here are my thoughts:

1. on my car, the brown is a darker brown with just a hint of red in it and is exactly what I was looking for. However, on the ML350 I saw on the lot, it had much more red - too much in my opinion. I almost didn't order the color because of it. I would have expected the colors to be identical, but I didn't get that impression (see disclaimer above)

2. I love the satin ash wood also and it goes great with the auburn brown leather. I almost ordered the wood steering wheel but when I saw it in person with satin ash, i *hated* it. It looks terrible in satin ash. Looks fine in other woods, just doesnt work with satin IMO.

3. If you order a wood wheel, it will always match the other wood in the car. Can't mix and match as far as I know.

4. Per my SA, ordering the auburn brown interior is what delayed my order for so long (6 months). It isn't a popular color so it took a long time for it to be put on the factory schedule. Other people that ordered a black interior, even though they ordered several months after me, had theirs built in 2-3 months.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM

2013 ML350
I have the designo, but it's black with white (parchment?) piping so I really can't comment on your color questions. Mine has the burled walnut trim. I was debating on the Satin Ash but waited too long to make a change.

I have the leather and wood wheel, with the wood matching the walnut trim. Whatever wood trim you select, all the wood will match. Personally I think the wood/leather wheel looks classier but that's just my opinion.

Just for the record, mine took 5 months to deliver.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
I have the Auburn Brown / Ash combination in mine, while not designo it looks fantastic. I get comments from the service reps etc. every time I take it in, it really stands out!

Mine took less than two months from ordering date to delivery (Oct - Nov 2012), perhaps I got a slot from someone else, since I have all the things that normally delay an order (multi-contour, pano roof, lighting etc.) If you decided to go for the same combo, see if your dealer can find an existing slot that matches your build request.

Here's a stock picture which is a good representation of what it looks like in real life:

Last edited by Thimee; 01-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL 450
Originally Posted by Thimee
I have the Auburn Brown / Ash combination in mine, while not designo it looks fantastic. I get comments from the service reps etc. every time I take it in, it really stands out!
I guess the wrapped dash for this color combination would be brown?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM

S550, SRX, ML550
Originally Posted by ciparis
I guess the wrapped dash for this color combination would be brown?
I got the black leather wrapped dash, and the option included the black dynamica headliner fabric too.

I like it - not too brown and not too black, just the right combination to look really classy, almost like an old school smoking lounge
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM

2016 GL 450
Hmm -- I think I have separate options available, one for the wrapped-wrapped dash, one for black headliner. Do you remember how much the headliner was?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM

there is a black headliner option which is just black fabric and there is the black dynamica headliner option which is a black suede-like material
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM

2016 GL 450
I have U09 Upholstery Wrapped Dashboard (SPC) $330. Is that the correct one for a leather interior?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM

I got the black leather wrapped dash
Interesting - my dash is brown. I would have preferred black but the system didn't present a choice to change the dash color.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM

2016 GL 450
Originally Posted by another_geek
Interesting - my dash is brown. I would have preferred black but the system didn't present a choice to change the dash color.
I think that's probably a Designo vs. standard leather thing.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 AM

S550, SRX, ML550
Originally Posted by ciparis
Hmm -- I think I have separate options available, one for the wrapped-wrapped dash, one for black headliner. Do you remember how much the headliner was?
Here's some details I pulled from my spec sheet:

SPC Special Order - $250
254 Auburn Brown/Black Leather (SPC) - $1,620
H09 Brown Satin Ash Wood Trim (SPC) - No Charge
U09 Upholstery Wrapped Dashboard - No Charge
289 Wood/Leather Steering Wheel - $590
399 Driver/Passenger Multi-Contour Seats w/M - $1,100
401 Heated/Ventilated Front Seats (SPC) -$570
872 Heated Rear Seats - $620
581 3-Zone Automatic Climate Control (SPC) - $790

Nothing about the headliner - I believe it's automatically included in the 254 package along with H09 and U09

Last edited by Thimee; 01-25-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM

ML320
Originally Posted by another_geek
I assume that you are referring to Auburn Brown, not maroon. I have an ML63 w/ the auburn brown interior and satin ash wood. I've also seen an ML350 w/ the same combination, but not at the same time, so I didn't have a side-by-side comparison. With that said, here are my thoughts:

1. on my car, the brown is a darker brown with just a hint of red in it and is exactly what I was looking for. However, on the ML350 I saw on the lot, it had much more red - too much in my opinion. I almost didn't order the color because of it. I would have expected the colors to be identical, but I didn't get that impression (see disclaimer above)

2. I love the satin ash wood also and it goes great with the auburn brown leather. I almost ordered the wood steering wheel but when I saw it in person with satin ash, i *hated* it. It looks terrible in satin ash. Looks fine in other woods, just doesnt work with satin IMO.

3. If you order a wood wheel, it will always match the other wood in the car. Can't mix and match as far as I know.

4. Per my SA, ordering the auburn brown interior is what delayed my order for so long (6 months). It isn't a popular color so it took a long time for it to be put on the factory schedule. Other people that ordered a black interior, even though they ordered several months after me, had theirs built in 2-3 months.
Designo calls the Auburn Brown "Marron." I assume they are the same color.

Please look at this designo video. The brown leather looks like a true dark brown here, but from what your describing it does not look like this in person?
I can expect much more red in the leather than is reflected in the video?

The interior wood appears to be Satin Ash. The wood in the steering wheel also looks nice in what I can assume is also Satin Ash. It looks much darker than the Satin Ash though. Once again in person the Satin Ash wood wheel does not match thre interior trim well, correct? When you say SA looked "terrible" on the wheel can you explain why...ie too glossy, to light, didn't look in the same wood family as saitn ash trim?

I read that the trim may be a flat Ash but the wheel is glossy which makes them not match. Is there a second wood option, one of the brown walnut colors, that would have the wheel and the trim glossy, but still compliment the brown interior?

http://www.mercedesbenzml350.org/201...n1-interior-2/

The way the interior appears in the video is beautiful, but other photos, maybe with a flash or in day lighting, don 't look so good as it appears a red-brown.

Thanks!

Last edited by MB.Suv; 01-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350

Mine took less than two months from ordering date to delivery (Oct - Nov 2012), perhaps I got a slot from someone else, since I have all the things that normally delay an order (multi-contour, pano roof, lighting etc.) If you decided to go for the same combo, see if your dealer can find an existing slot that matches your build request.

Here's a stock picture which is a good representation of what it looks like in real life:

That is a great looking interior, love the color.. I think it would look incredible in the designo
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
black headliner is not standard on ml , I ordered on my 13 GL
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by MB.Suv
Designo calls the Auburn Brown "Marron." I assume they are the same color.

Please look at this designo video. The brown leather looks like a true dark brown here, but from what your describing it does not look like this in person?
I can expect much more red in the leather than is reflected in the video?

The interior wood appears to be Satin Ash. The wood in the steering wheel also looks nice in what I can assume is also Satin Ash. It looks much darker than the Satin Ash though. Once again in person the Satin Ash wood wheel does not match thre interior trim well, correct? When you say SA looked "terrible" on the wheel can you explain why...ie too glossy, to light, didn't look in the same wood family as saitn ash trim?

I read that the trim may be a flat Ash but the wheel is glossy which makes them not match. Is there a second wood option, one of the brown walnut colors, that would have the wheel and the trim glossy, but still compliment the brown interior?

http://www.mercedesbenzml350.org/201...n1-interior-2/

The way the interior appears in the video is beautiful, but other photos, maybe with a flash or in day lighting, don 't look so good as it appears a red-brown.

Thanks!
Not quite as dark as the video. Without a color calibrated monitor, you and I will see always different colors though, so never go by pics you see on the internet. The pic that Thimee posted is closer.

Satin ash on the steering wheel has a slight sheen to it when compared to the dash and it is not as porous so it doesn't match the dash exactly. I normally like wood wheels and have had them in all my other cars, but it just didn't look right in this particular wood in my opinion.

I didn't explore other wood combinations that went with auburn brown because I really liked the satin ash.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM

ML320
Since I can't see the interior in person, it's going to be a difficult decision. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM

ML320
Thimee,

Do you find the multi contour seats more comfortable than the stock seats? Do they have a very confining feeling? Don't like to feel too restricted as if the suv is a sports car. When you got the cooling seat option, did it firm the seat up?

Also thinking of ordering rear heated seats and rear heat/ac zone. do they work well? If you had to choose one, would it be the second zone? Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM

2013 GL450 (ordered)2008 GL550, 2008 SL550
Auburn Brown designo with walnut trim pics

Hi MB SUV,

I'm considering an on-the-ground dealer car with the Auburn Brown designo/burl walnut combo. Here are some pics:

Sorry for the iPhone quality, but hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Designo Interior Questions-car2-copy-800x600-.jpg   Designo Interior Questions-car3-copy-800x600-.jpg   Designo Interior Questions-car4-copy-800x600-.jpg   Designo Interior Questions-car5-copy-800x600-.jpg   Designo Interior Questions-car6-copy-800x600-.jpg  

Designo Interior Questions-car11-800x600-.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM

2013 GL450 (ordered)2008 GL550, 2008 SL550
Originally Posted by MB.Suv
Thimee,

Do you find the multi contour seats more comfortable than the stock seats? Do they have a very confining feeling? Don't like to feel too restricted as if the suv is a sports car. When you got the cooling seat option, did it firm the seat up?

Also thinking of ordering rear heated seats and rear heat/ac zone. do they work well? If you had to choose one, would it be the second zone? Thanks
I don't have a 2013 GL yet, but I am still driving a GL 550 ('08) and can tell you I love having the rear heated seats and separate climate control in the back. Keeps everyone happy =)
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by westbellevue
Hi MB SUV,

I'm considering an on-the-ground dealer car with the Auburn Brown designo/burl walnut combo. Here are some pics:

Wow! Thanks for the photos...very helpful. Does the interior color look in person as it does in your photos ie fairly brown without too much red in it? How does the burl walnut look with that color designo interior? If I get a wood wheel, that may go better. What is your over-all impression of this interior compared to say a stock light grey interior?

Last edited by MB.Suv; 01-27-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 PM

ML320
I don't have a 2013 GL yet, but I am still driving a GL 550 ('08) and can tell you I love having the rear heated seats and separate climate control in the back. Keeps everyone happy =)
Ok thanks...looks like I need to get both options.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Hi MB SUV,

Which dealer is that at? Looks really sharp!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
A few more pics, sorry for the poor quality.

I think the open pore trim looks much nicer than the burl, but that's JMO.
Attached Thumbnails Designo Interior Questions-img-20121231-00038.jpg   Designo Interior Questions-img-20121231-00039.jpg   Designo Interior Questions-img-20121231-00040.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
+1 for open wood trim, no glare either when its very sunny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Designo Interior Questions