M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Test drove a great ml350 today, some options I dont think i want - commentary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Metallic Silver ML350
Test drove a great ml350 today, some options I dont think i want - commentary?

Hi everyone, I am in the process of researching a new vehicle. Currently deciding between ml350, audi q5, or bmw x3. I drove an ml350 today that was loaded and I think some of these features I don't need. Can you comment on some of these and let me know if you have them and love them or think you'd have opted to leave them out if you could do it over?

319Lighting PKG $1,290.00
bi-xenon headlamps w/active curve illumination
adaptive highbeam assist
headlamp washing system

I'm not sure I need this. The thought of curving lights is neat but I've never had it and I've survived.

Lane Tracking PKG $850.00
blind spot assist
lane keeping assist
this seems pretty useful for a larger vehicle although, not a mandatory thing

Accessory Chrome PKG$250.00

definitely dont need this I think..

Brushed Aluminum Running Boards $670.00
Illumination Kit For Running Boards $650.00
seems mostly cosmetic. I don't think I need running boards. Do you find people have difficulty getting in/out without them?

harmon/kardon Sound System $810.00

This is tough. I didn't get to crank the stereo on the drive so I'm not sure how great this one is versus the standard stereo setup.

Parktronic w/Active Parking Assist $970.00
this seems so c ool. the sales rep showed us the automatic parallel parking and me and my fiancée were both amazed. talk about cool. I think this is worth it.....do you guys use it much or is it too finnicky/picky to use reliably?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
The lighting package is a must where I live, which is in the middle of nowhere. There are tons of deer and other critters out here and no street lights for miles - basically, it is all country road driving that I do. The forests are cut close to the road and these lights are a God-send. However, if you live or drive more than 75% of the time in the city they are useless. Also, here in America I do not think you will find the active curve to work very well, if at all. For some reason the cars in other countries have this feature enabled but we do not no matter what MB says.

The stereo system is great and well worth the upgrade IF you have normal to better than normal hearing to detect the subtleties. If you are half deaf like me the stock system will serve you just fine (if I had many passengers I would buy it for them but 90% of my driving is alone). I have it but I really can't tell the difference between it and the sound systems in other cars.

Parktronic (I think) is the ability to parallel park. I have no need for this and again is applicable only for city dwellers or visitors.

Running boards look okay but the ML looks okay without them as well. If you have people that need a "boost" into the cabin they are worth it but they are too narrow for me and I find I don't use them. That makes it a little more difficult getting in and out because you have to "climb" over them. This also ruins your pants. Illumination might be nice if you really want the boards but I would also consider the interior illumination package. Everyone who drives with me at night comments on the pretty interior glow.

Another thing you might consider is the tow hitch. I don't have one because I don't tow but I wish now I had gotten it just in case I ever do. It is relatively cheap from the factory but expensive if you try for an after market install. Also, I've heard the factory hitch bolsters the rear end and helps a little in a collision.

I do not know where you live but even here in Texas I enjoy using the heated steering wheel. I hate gloves and although I seldom need them here, even in the winter, there are enough chilly mornings that the heated steering wheel feels wonderful. I would highly recommend it if you live in the north country. Incidentally, forget the Q5 and X3 because they are no where near the ML in any category. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Oh, I almost forgot to include a couple other things you mentioned. Lane tracking and blind spot assist are cool and could save you from an accident. I like the feature but I know people who believe it is an infringement (I use to be one of those until I saw the benefit).

Chrome package - you are correct, you really don't need it.

Last edited by shortspark; 07-14-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:58 AM

14' Audi SQ5 05' Jag x-type 09' Ducati848 05' Jeep 06' Ford F150
I'm curious about your take on the ML350 vs the Q5. I'm nearing a purchase this fall and those two look to be my finalists. I've looked at virtually everything 40-60k. Q5 is obviously a bit smaller, but its interior is bigger than it looks, and definately the sporty option. The ML is more cush, a bit bigger and more cargo. I keep going back and forth as I get closer to purchase.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defender 90/360 Modena/2012 MLBTC on order
I have the HK and lane tracking Blind Spot Assist...both great. I wish I had the lighting package.

I am glad I don't have running boards...find them ugly and unnecessary
No chrome...you can add it at any time...no Parking.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 AM

2017 CLS550
I did not drive the Audi when I was looking at SUVs because I dismissed it based on size and appearance. It did not look as good to me either inside or out as did the ML350, which looked like a real SUV rather than like a wagon as the Audi appeared. It also falls in the more compact class (it seemed closer to the CR-V than the ML to my eyes although I know it is a far better automobile than the CR-V). I got the impression that Audi downsized their SUV with both exterior dimensions and power train, although I know you can get a great V6 in it as an option. It just did not have the overall looks and "rugged" refinement that seemed to ooze out of the ML.

Having said all this, I'm sure the Audi is a good, solid SUV but I feel it should be compared more to the GLK than ML. The X3, GLK and Q5 are the same class vehicle and that is why I said in my previous post that they are not in the same category as the ML (which is closer to say an X5, for example). The ML has had a long history with diesel motors (if that is your thing) whereas Audi is introducing diesel for the first time in the Q5 2014 model. I do not think anyone knows diesel engines as well as MB, assuming you might consider diesel.

In short, the Audi gave me the impression of being perhaps more nimble and sportier, with the ML being more athletic and strong in build - both were well defined and well built like a boxer, but one seemed like a lightweight, the other a heavyweight. The ML had the stronger personality and presence which struck me immediately and that was what I was looking for.

Incidentally, here is a thread you might find interesting even if it is a couple years old: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164...-ml350-q5.html
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think the points are pretty good about the q5 vs ML. The Q5 was definitely sportier and I also drove a GLK but for some reason when viewing it parked side by side to the ML on the lot I really didn't have much interest in it. The ML just looks so much better. Definitely roomier.

It's funny I drove the q5 and ML within 30 minutes of each other since the dealerships were literally side by side and found myself loving the ML right after. The more I think after the fact the audi styling is still a little more appealing to me even though I can't think of one thing the audi has that the ML doesn't. The audi pricetag is a lot more friendly depending on build -- the invoice price on the builds I come up with on edmunds with the options I only think I need come to around 54.5K where buildling a 3.0 Q5 invoice comes to around 46.

I'm getting a little off topic right now but are there any incentives available to ultimately get the dealer to get the out the sell price actually below invoice? I am thinking things like the BMW ultimate driving event, etc, which I popped into a BMW dealer last week to get the coupon for that. Haven't driven an x3 yet but honestly I didn't even find myself wanting to after driving the ML. I still think I should just to make sure I try everything, then get one more drive in each vehicle without a sales associate in the car with me so I can get familiar with it without someone coaching me. The MB sales guy was very friendly, funny, and helpful when showing all the things the ML can do but I think you definitely need 20-30 minutes in a car alone to tinker and "get lost" in all it has to offer before you can make a decision.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I have no idea why you are holding back on buying a 302hp V6 in a GLK as compared to the anemic 4-banger in the Q5, or the dated 4-banger in the X3..

If you choose to upgrade yourself to the ML - that's all to your good taste - but for heavens sake don't compare the ML back down to those 4-banger shoe boxes !
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Well the Q5 I was looking at was the 3.0 not the 2.0, but thanks for the opinion.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I have no idea why you are holding back on buying a 302hp V6 in a GLK as compared to the anemic 4-banger in the Q5, or the dated 4-banger in the X3..

If you choose to upgrade yourself to the ML - that's all to your good taste - but for heavens sake don't compare the ML back down to those 4-banger shoe boxes !
This q5 might have the new supercharged 3.0 that is my 2012 and kicks butt on the 3.5L mercedes engine
Old 07-15-2013, 12:46 PM

So after knowing what I was looking for after a test drive, here's what I've been tossed by the dealer. Was wondering if anyone could give me an assessment on this deal on the surface:
  • 2013 ML350 AWD
  • 890 Lunar Blue Metallic $720
  • 105 Almond Beige MB-Tex
  • P01 P01 Package: Auto-Dimming/Power-Folding $3,700
    • P49 : Auto dimming mirrors & power folding mir
    • U80 : 115V AC Power Outlet
    • 049 : iPod/MP3 Media Interface Cable
    • 218 : Rearview Camera
    • 249 : Auto-dimming Side and Rearview Mirrors
    • 275 : Power Front Seats w/Driver Memory
    • 441 : Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
    • 500 : Power Folding Mirrors
    • 512 : COMAND System w/ Hard-Drive Navigation
    • 518 : iPod/MP3 Media Interface
    • 536 : SiriusXM Radio w. 6 mos. service
    • 543 : Double Sun Visors[/INDENT]
  • R55 19" Twin 5-spoke Wheel
  • U71 DVD Coding
  • 252 COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST (Std.)
  • 734 Eucalyptus Wood Trim
  • 810 harman/kardon LOGIC7 Surround Sound Syst $810
  • 866 Pre-Wiring for Rear Seat Entertainment $170
  • SUBTOTAL $55,170
  • DESTINATION & DELIVERY $905
  • TOTAL MSRP: $56,075

Price offered:

$50,467 which is about $2700 below invoice (according to edmunds) or about 10% off the MSRP

Last edited by iamgort; 07-15-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM

2017 CLS550
I bought my 2012 in May of that year. Sticker was $59995 and I paid $54600. What I have heard is that you might get 4 or 5 percent off when ordering a new MB for delivery in the fall and around 9 to 11 percent off on a current model. Of course as always, your mileage will vary. Sounds like you are certainly in the ball park. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Ml350
Shouldn't you only compare ml350 with q7 and x5. q5 and x3 are not on the same level as ml350.

when you buy ml350, you buy for its luxury and life style. Without those packages and options, i prefer go for a relative cheap japanese brand.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML 350 BlueTEC
Get the headlights - they are much more than curving lights - they are HID and a vast improvement over stock.

I dropped the running boards and couldn't be happier. Looks much better and functions better in my mind as well.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
On top of what they offered, I would ask them to include pre paid maintenance for whatever your needs are.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by challer
Get the headlights - they are much more than curving lights - they are HID and a vast improvement over stock.

I dropped the running boards and couldn't be happier. Looks much better and functions better in my mind as well.
Thanks for the tip. I notice you are in alexandria (I'm in Tysons). Which dealer do you prefer in the area? The one I test drove at was Chantilly.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:11 PM

Ml350 btc
I custom ordered mine, and got the following:
Lighting package - essential if you go outside a city, or anyplace without street lighting. I had bixenons on my Audi as well, and will never go back. The difference at night on a dark road is huge. Auto highbeams are nice too.
Parktronic- parallel parking is nice but gimickey. The real value is the front, corner and rear parking sensors. Given that you can't see the corners of the car, well worth the body damage it saves!
HK audio - I thought the standard audio was fine...until I heard this one. It's pretty amazing.
Lane tracking - safety feature, really helps, this car has big blind spots
Running boards - great if you use roof rack
Rear seat wiring - dont bother. It does NOT give passenger memory/lumbar in 2013+
tow package - needed, even if only for resale value. Unlike the pathetic Q5, this puppy can haul 7200lbs!
Skip the prepaid maintenance if you have diesel..it's 2x higher and the numbers don't add up (you're paying for MB adblue, which is 8x the price)
The bluetec engine is amazing..highly recommended. I'm getting 29mpg hwy, and still in breakin period!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM

14' Audi SQ5 05' Jag x-type 09' Ducati848 05' Jeep 06' Ford F150
Originally Posted by Mingsh22
Shouldn't you only compare ml350 with q7 and x5. q5 and x3 are not on the same level as ml350.

when you buy ml350, you buy for its luxury and life style. Without those packages and options, i prefer go for a relative cheap japanese brand.
$65k loaded ML350, or cheap Japanese. There are no other options.

By that logic I'm curious as to why you'd get the "cheap" ML and not go for the higher trims.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML 350 BlueTEC
I bought from Mercedes of Alexandria. Horrible experience. Same owner's as Arlington. I'd stick with Chantilly.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jnejah
On top of what they offered, I would ask them to include pre paid maintenance for whatever your needs are.
Originally Posted by Proteus7
I custom ordered mine, and got the following:
Lighting package - essential if you go outside a city, or anyplace without street lighting. I had bixenons on my Audi as well, and will never go back. The difference at night on a dark road is huge. Auto highbeams are nice too.
Parktronic- parallel parking is nice but gimickey. The real value is the front, corner and rear parking sensors. Given that you can't see the corners of the car, well worth the body damage it saves!
HK audio - I thought the standard audio was fine...until I heard this one. It's pretty amazing.
Lane tracking - safety feature, really helps, this car has big blind spots
Running boards - great if you use roof rack
Rear seat wiring - dont bother. It does NOT give passenger memory/lumbar in 2013+
tow package - needed, even if only for resale value. Unlike the pathetic Q5, this puppy can haul 7200lbs!
Skip the prepaid maintenance if you have diesel..it's 2x higher and the numbers don't add up (you're paying for MB adblue, which is 8x the price)
The bluetec engine is amazing..highly recommended. I'm getting 29mpg hwy, and still in breakin period!
I will not be going diesel, is the prepaid maintenance something I could be confident in asking the dealer to throw in or do you think I might be getting greedy if I can get them to do better than 10% off MSRP?

Originally Posted by challer
I bought from Mercedes of Alexandria. Horrible experience. Same owner's as Arlington. I'd stick with Chantilly.
Thanks. So far I am pretty sure I will be going with Chantilly, the sales associate there was very very kind and generally a pleasure to be around. He wasn't pushy at all and was very polite to my fiancee as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM

E450 Wagon, GLE350, S500
[QUOTE=iamgort;5717719]I will not be going diesel, is the prepaid maintenance something I could be confident in asking the dealer to throw in or do you think I might be getting greedy if I can get them to do better than 10% off MSRP?

Diesel or not, prepaid maintenance costs the dealer only a fraction of what it would cost you - what's the worst that can happen if you ask? Get the price as low as you feel comfortable given your personal circumstance. Personally, I dislike the haggling process and I always feel like time is my most important commodity. But before I give a dealer a check, my personal tactic is always to make them thrown in prepaid maintenance and I always get our MBs serviced by the dealership.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Have you driven a diesel?
The 350 Bluetec is, IMHO, a far nicer driving model than the 350 gasser. Very smooth, no effort power.

My last 2 vehicles were GL450's, & current is a '13 ML350 BT.
I feel the BT drives every bit as nice as the GL's, with comparable acceleration.

My wifes last 2 vehicles were an ML500 followed by am ML550. She now drives a '13 ML350 gasser. Although it is an extremely likable vehicle, with HP rated rated very close to previous V8's in her past ML's, the V6 leaves a little to be desired compared to her previous vehicles.
It does have respectable get-up-and go, but it seems to be working pretty hard to achieve the on-ramp acceleration I have in my Bluetec, and really pretty far below a V8.

Re: comparing to Q5 or X3, I agree with other posters. Not in the same category.

Must have options in my eyes. P1, Lighting package, Harmon Kardon, lane tracking, Tow package (even if only for resale).

My wife loves the ambient lighting & illuminated doorsills, but skipped this myself. Same with parktronic.

If you are not getting anyone to give you a decent discount down in VA, try contacting MB of Silver Spring on Rt 29 headed toward Columbia, MD. They are very price competative.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:48 AM

Thanks! I am also in a little email back and forth with silver spring. Hoping to get the best deal possible. Going to go back Saturday to drive one for a bit longer alone so I can get lost in the vehicle a little, see how intuitive certain things are without the guy in the back seat explaining everything.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

ml350 bluetec
I have a '13 350 BT.
Have the parking assist & live in a city, but have never needed to use it.
I have the running boards (no LED) and always use it to get in, even though I'm 6'7". I never use the running boards to get out,& I have never ruined any pant legs.
I get 37.4 mpg in the city at 35mph but somewhat less at higher speeds & lower speeds.
I have the bi-xenon headlamps, that do not light up curves, the lights are great for deer & people. The hi-beams get slow pokes out of my way, but it irritates the hell out of them. The hype about them working on corners is just hype (it does not work).
The heated steering wheel as well as the heated seats (front & rear) are truly wonderful when its cold out. My dog loves the heated seat in the back on cold days.
HK system is great and I do crank it.
I can not understand why some people think the BT is underpowered, it is not underpowered, I think they are just unwilling to step on it. On ramp acceleration 0 to 70 is easy, I'm on speed by the time I get to traffic and depend on the blind spot assist to enter traffic.
Get the trailer towing package, I have not used mine, but the after- market cost is $2500.
SiriusXM Radio is crap. I did not continue with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:22 PM

Audi Q5
Hi- I've had an Audi Q5 for the past three years, but am in the process of switching to an ML350BT (due to arrive end of this month). The Q5 has performed very well and been problem free, but I'm 6'4" and it's really just too small for me.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 AM

2013 C63
ML350 vs Q5? Are you serious?
Q5/X3 are more of a GLK contenders, they are no match for the ML, not even close.
OP, from those options, parktronic is on the top of my list, then the lighting pkg.
I really dont care for the rest, the std Audio 20 stereo sounds surprisinly good, much, much better than in the W164.
Must have options in my eyes are the Sport Amg exterior package and the P95 sport interior.

Last edited by galion; 08-03-2013 at 03:56 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove a great ml350 today, some options I dont think i want - commentary?