M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

X5 to ML350 BT today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bmw X5
X5 to ML350 BT today

Well, we pulled the trigger and traded our 2004 X5 for a 2013 ML today. Pick it up Wed! I sure hope we won't be disappointed! The X5 has been a superb vehicle and it still feels new with 190,000km on it.

We chose Diamond white with black interior, P1, driver assist, headlight option, trailer hitch, running boards (we had these on the x5 and found they protect you from other car doors in parking lots). Went in on the last day of the month, they came down over 10% and increased the value on the trade.

Looking forward to Wed!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W166
Enjoy the ride. You won't regret it.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Congrats, post pics when you can..
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 AM

Bmw X5
Had the vehicle for 36 hrs now. So far I love it! Quite a bit to learn (voice command, park assist, etc). Man that BT engine is quiet, smooth and fast!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
Congrats! I do like the BT engine, too. But, don't feel bad about all the things to learn...I've had mine for 4 months and haven't tried the parking assist yet....:-) Enjoy!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:43 AM

Bmw X5
I tried to figure out the parking assist yesterday and haven't been able to activate it yet. I will search the net, I see the blue P but don't know what is the next step
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by Glennm
I tried to figure out the parking assist yesterday and haven't been able to activate it yet. I will search the net, I see the blue P but don't know what is the next step
The blue P means it's looking for a spot. When it finds a spot, you'll see an arrow next to the blue P pointing to the right. When you see the arrow, stop, put on your turn signal and engage Reverse gear. A message in the instrument cluster will ask if you want to park. Press OK on the steering wheel and then it's pretty self-explanatory from there.

You can also park to the left on a one-way street but the car doesn't automatically look for a space to the left. To make it look to the left, engage your left turn signal while driving forward at a slow-ish speed. If it finds a spot to the left, you'll see an arrow pointing left instead of right. The process is the same from that point.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:50 PM

ML350
I too just recently traded my 2003 x5 for an ML. The new ride is noticeably smoother and the car feels a bit more solid. However, and maybe it is cause I was so used to the x5, but a few nits that I did not pay attention to or noticed during the test drive.

The radio does not turn off when the car motor is turned off. I have to open the door. (I have keyless entry.)
The windshield wipers on the drivers side wiggle big time and make a lot of noise. (there are other posts about this problem on this forum.)
To change radio channels, unless you use voice control, there are too many mannual moves required.
Being right eye dominant, I automatically look to the right gauge, but the speedo is the left gauge. So, I now rely on the digital read. (I know... But I said they were nits... Except for the wiper blade which is not acceptable.
The lane control goes off even if you are turning a corner.
The headrest won't go back enough so it forces my head to lean forward.
Not something I did not know before I bought the car, but virtually all the MLs on the dealer lot for sale when I bought mine had all these gizmos -- do I really need mood lighting -- but vinyl seats. Vinyl seats for a $55,000 car? I know I could have "ordered" a car to spec, but, of course, would have paid a lot more.

But, with all that, I still love the car.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
-The radio does not turn off when the car motor is turned off. I have to open the door. (I have keyless entry.)
But as I pull into the garage, I like to listen to the end of the commentary as the garage door closes without ingesting CO2.

-The windshield wipers on the drivers side wiggle big time and make a lot of noise. (there are other posts about this problem on this forum.)
This happens to some but certainly not all. I suggest there may ber faulty components out there which require the dealers to get off thier bums to fix!

-To change radio channels, unless you use voice control, there are too many mannual moves required.
One can push the arrow buttons next to the volume knob to change it.
Or you can push a keypad number for a preselect station.
And a single push of the "RADIO" button will change from AM to FM and back.

-The lane control goes off even if you are turning a corner.
On multi lane roads yes! It does not realise the car beside you is turning also.
I have turned this feature off as I am continually crossing the line on narrow mountain roads.

-The headrest won't go back enough so it forces my head to lean forward.
Have you tried pushing the button on thew side of the headrest? The headrest does come forward as part of Presafe, but needs to be manually returned.

We will always have complaints about a car no matter what we have.
But except for the wipers, yours are minor or part of the learning curve.
Enjoy your car!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 PM

ML 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by tyu98006
But, with all that, I still love the car.
I would postulate that, perhaps, it IS the mood lights that are making you love the car...however, my special order does not have them, so i know better...it is the car...Enjoy!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM

Bmw X5
We have had it a week now. I haven't seen any rain yet so no issue with the wipers. It sure is nice on the highway, very quiet and smooth. The BT engine is fantastic! Radio (HK) sounds terrific. I haven't tried the park assist yet. Every time I pull up beside a car to try it there is someone behind me and I don't want to fuss with it while someone is behind me. I also really like the lane assist on the mirrors, when someone is in your mirror it helps judge how close they are.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by iankayem
-The radio does not turn off when the car motor is turned off. I have to open the door. (I have keyless entry.)
But as I pull into the garage, I like to listen to the end of the commentary as the garage door closes without ingesting CO2.
Exactly. Most (all?) cars do retain power to the radio (and some other things like power windows) after you turn off the engine, normally until you either remove the key or open the door. It's nice to listen to the end of the song, the end of the weather report, or a little bit more of that talk radio show while sitting in the car and not need to run the engine to do so.

I would bet that a new X5 does the same thing. I know a new X3 does because I sat in the dealer's lot and played with iDrive after I had turned off the engine.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 AM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
For BMW, you can press the start button the second time to turn off everything including radio. For the ML, you cannot do that, you have to open the door to turn off the radio. Once a while, the radio would not turn off or turn itself on again after opening the door - it would only turn off when I lock the door.

Originally Posted by balticgreen
Exactly. Most (all?) cars do retain power to the radio (and some other things like power windows) after you turn off the engine, normally until you either remove the key or open the door. It's nice to listen to the end of the song, the end of the weather report, or a little bit more of that talk radio show while sitting in the car and not need to run the engine to do so.
I would bet that a new X5 does the same thing. I know a new X3 does because I sat in the dealer's lot and played with iDrive after I had turned off the engine.