M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Can You Track a New ML Order? Factory Closed in Dec?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,742 Likes on 2,138 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Can You Track a New ML Order? Factory Closed in Dec?

I just ordered a new ML350BTC from my local MB dealer. Is there a way I can actually track the progress of this order? Is there an order number or something I should ask the dealer for? Any information along these lines would be most appreciated. Also, he says the factory is closed in December. Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1st - if you just ordered a ML350BT from your dealer - when "your order" becomes confirmed with the factory either by the dealer changing a existing factory Purchase Order (PO), or getting allocated a new/additional slot from the factory under a new PO.

So - for "your order" to become real there is a "factory PO" - yes, you should ask your dealer for that PO# - because if your dealer does not have a PO# - then all you are talking about is "your order" with the dealer and that doesn't mean squat.

And you should ask for a printout of that PO which will show the exact colors/interior/features/options on that PO so you can confirm everything you wanted is on the PO - and that no communication errors between you and the dealer have been made.

That PO# will have a estimated production decade - by "decade" - factory each month is sliced into 3-decades - 1st/2nd/3rd.... then about 45 days out from estimated production that estimated 10 day production decade - your MB will be assigned a specific estimated production date - which by and large will be a specific day/date within the original estimated production decade.

By and large - meaning estimated decade - later assigned production day/date - by and large have been according to schedule - no major delays - sometimes a small delay, rarer sometimes small window earlier..

About 2nd day into production a actual VIN# is assigned - which is a benchmark that youyr vehicle is in actual production.

Once you have a VIN - estimated production completion, and estiamted transport time - that can be checked by your dealer who can see whn production is completed, and when the completed vehicle is released to transport.

PO# - confirmed estimated production date - VIN# assignment - then confirmation production has been completed - date released to transport - those are the FIVE key things you can followup with your dealer as benchmarks
Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 350 sold, 2014 Bluetec "Rudy"
We need an improvement in this process. Reading the GLK forum, once their car is built they can track the progress of the ship and every stop it makes getting real time info as it approaches port. I suggest that Fab petition for track able GPS in each truck so we can see what Flying J and Pilot truck stops our MLs stop at, what was eaten for lunch and how much fuel it takes to keep on the road. Not as glamorous as stopping in the English Channel or Brunswick, but hey it would be something to pass the time...
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by Phil.mount
We need an improvement in this process. Reading the GLK forum, once their car is built they can track the progress of the ship and every stop it makes getting real time info as it approaches port. I suggest that Fab petition for track able GPS in each truck so we can see what Flying J and Pilot truck stops our MLs stop at, what was eaten for lunch and how much fuel it takes to keep on the road. Not as glamorous as stopping in the English Channel or Brunswick, but hey it would be something to pass the time...
I suggest they offer us an Alabama Delivery option. Sure it is not as glamorous as traveling to Europe and enjoying ones vehicle within Europe but surely the state of AL has something scenic to offer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snipe656:
gabe.m (12-14-2016), joysee (04-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
I went on the factory tour last summer, and believe me, Vance is in the middle of nowhere. There was a huge banner in the museum area reading "customer delivery" (may not be the exact words) but the tour guide said that option had been discontinued some time ago.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Snipe656
I suggest they offer us an Alabama Delivery option. Sure it is not as glamorous as traveling to Europe and enjoying ones vehicle within Europe but surely the state of AL has something scenic to offer.
I don't think MB wants to, and for good reason, make a big deal that these cars are coming out of AL.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I just ordered a new ML350BTC from my local MB dealer. Is there a way I can actually track the progress of this order? Is there an order number or something I should ask the dealer for? Any information along these lines would be most appreciated. Also, he says the factory is closed in December. Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks.
I hear BMW has a great tracking system while MB has essentially nothing.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:13 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by 27T
I don't think MB wants to, and for good reason, make a big deal that these cars are coming out of AL.
It was a joke.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Snipe656
It was a joke.
ha. yeah, imagine telling people that you flew to AL to pick up your ML and all the great bbq (or whatever they're famous for) you enjoyed.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM

I have to protect my friends in AL a little, although from Iowa and now living in MN I lived north of Birmingham for 8 years and toured the Plant 3 times. They used to do the delivery in the first few years of the 163 and included a couple rounds of golf at the Robert Trent Jones courses and a couple of nights hotel. Go to the Fish Market in downtown Birmingham and you will want to go back. Reading the comments on this 166 forum for the last 3 years suggests that the product coming out of there now is world class as I don't hear of many problems at all with this new ML, why else would we be spending our money if we weren't proud of our purchase. The last 5 years your football champs have also come from Alabama!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
27T

13ML BT
I have to protect my friends in AL a little, although from Iowa and now living in MN I lived north of Birmingham for 8 years and toured the Plant 3 times. They used to do the delivery in the first few years of the 163 and included a couple rounds of golf at the Robert Trent Jones courses and a couple of nights hotel. Go to the Fish Market in downtown Birmingham and you will want to go back. Reading the comments on this 166 forum for the last 3 years suggests that the product coming out of there now is world class as I don't hear of many problems at all with this new ML, why else would we be spending our money if we weren't proud of our purchase. The last 5 years your football champs have also come from Alabama!
MB is selling German engineering. Cars coming out of AL hurts that story.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM

I believe the C class will soon be built there and BMW just announced they are going to build engines inUSA, probably SC. World economy...
Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iu
Originally Posted by 27T
ha. yeah, imagine telling people that you flew to AL to pick up your ML and all the great bbq (or whatever they're famous for) you enjoyed.
Go ahead and Google Red Stone Arsenal, Marshall space flight center, NASA jet propulsion laboratory, and while you're at FAME recording studio in north Alabama all within an 90 miles of Birmingham. Better yet don't so you're not tempted to retire there so we can keep taxes and cost of living low which unfortunately is what's happening. On a serious note there is nothing in Greenville SC except for the BMW factory which does delivery because they have an awesome track and off road course where you can do what you really want to when you buy an suv but never would. If Mercedes offered the same program it would be an instant hit and a boost in the younger segment they are trying to pull in see cla model.

Last edited by Fongletez; 12-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM

2015 C63S
Hey so long as I get a 7% discount and no destination fees then I'd love to go visit the state of AL when picking up a new vehicle.

Back when we were shopping for a C63 we could not get dealers to budge on pricing. Always annoyed me because I go to Europe once a year for family visits. So I got bugged because I found I could get up to 11% off and no destination fees if I did an ED and since I'd be traveling anyway then no real extra travel expenses. So fast forward to when considering an ML550 and dealers barely budged on pricing for those is when I started to kid about an AL Delivery.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM

2015 ML 350 Gas(Polar White). 2015 ML 350 gas(Lunar Blue). 68 mustang
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I can track it for you if you have a PO or Production #. We will shutdown on Dec 20th and open back up on Jan 2nd.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 PM

2014 ML550
I have an ML550 on order. Could you provide tracking information for me? I have the PO#.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:05 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Fongletez
Go ahead and Google Red Stone Arsenal, Marshall space flight center, NASA jet propulsion laboratory, and while you're at FAME recording studio in north Alabama all within an 90 miles of Birmingham. Better yet don't so you're not tempted to retire there so we can keep taxes and cost of living low which unfortunately is what's happening. On a serious note there is nothing in Greenville SC except for the BMW factory which does delivery because they have an awesome track and off road course where you can do what you really want to when you buy an suv but never would. If Mercedes offered the same program it would be an instant hit and a boost in the younger segment they are trying to pull in see cla model.
Wow, someone's defensive... I wonder why.

Enjoy retirement there.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM
27T

13ML BT
I believe the C class will soon be built there and BMW just announced they are going to build engines inUSA, probably SC. World economy...
We all know "world eco". Points still stands that it hurts the story.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:26 PM

2013 ML550
Congratulations on the ML550 order, you'll love it. The engine is amazing, incredible torque spread and next to no turbo lag. I just wish the exhaust note was a little louder. I've always wondered if the ML63 exhaust would fit with my on/off road package. Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55AMG
Being that they are assembled in Alabama sure isn't hurting sales.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 PM

2014 ML550
Originally Posted by Kenn1926
Congratulations on the ML550 order, you'll love it. The engine is amazing, incredible torque spread and next to no turbo lag. I just wish the exhaust note was a little louder. I've always wondered if the ML63 exhaust would fit with my on/off road package. Enjoy!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it arriving later next month!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Coreysimms
Being that they are assembled in Alabama sure isn't hurting sales.
How do you know?