M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350
front license plate holder

While I really don't want to put a plate in the front, it's the law. I'm picking up my plates next week and the dealer said they would install them. I don't know how the plate holder is installed up front. Do they have to drill holes through the beautiful bumper?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Correct - the front license plate holder is shipped from the factory "loose" and then dealer installs when required or requested.

Keep the beat !
Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic
motorized license plate

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM

14' Audi SQ5 05' Jag x-type 09' Ducati848 05' Jeep 06' Ford F150
Law or not, I wouldn't put a front license plate holder on the car. The chance of being cited is extremely low, and its not a moving violation regardless. Its worth the few hundred bucks you may or may not ever have to pay.

Some dealers will have you sign a waiver and not install the plates.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
No front plate is an instant ticket and if the night is right probably more questions like, where you been, anything to drink, mind if we search your car.
Usually the ticket is the least of your trouble.
If you really need the attention, push the envelope.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM

ml350
4 responses and not one person actually answered the question, but thanks for everyone's opinions on whether or not to put a front plate on. Could someone tell my if the factory plate holder if installed by the dealer requires drilling screw holed through the bumper? Thanks in advance and Go Horns!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by waypoint
4 responses and not one person actually answered the question, but thanks for everyone's opinions on whether or not to put a front plate on. Could someone tell my if the factory plate holder if installed by the dealer requires drilling screw holed through the bumper? Thanks in advance and Go Horns!!!
The first post said correct to you. They do drill the bumper
Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 Panamera GTS
Originally Posted by Critter
No front plate is an instant ticket and if the night is right probably more questions like, where you been, anything to drink, mind if we search your car.
Wow, what are you up to?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 AM

'13 E550 Cabriolet
I'm not sure about the W166 (ML class), but the 207's have a screw in tow hook on the front. If there is a screw in tow hook location you might check into the brackets from gominigo (http://gominigo.com/MB.html). No drilling needed with them.

How tightly a front plate law is enforced varies on location. In some areas, meter maids give out no front plate tickets, and if a cop is bored, no front plate is an easy way to pull a person over to check a person out.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM

ML350 Bluetec
The top of the OEM bracket screws into the top portion of the bumper and the bottom has two stems that fit into the lower grille section ( no screws). You could ask the dealer to use Automotive adhesive tape on the upper screw hole area instead. It would adhere the plate holder just as well and not make any holes in the bumper. You could then look for other attachment devices if you want a different look. The off center tow hook hole brackets always look worse to me than the OEM bracket, but that's always a personal preference.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:16 AM

14' Audi SQ5 05' Jag x-type 09' Ducati848 05' Jeep 06' Ford F150
Perhaps in Canada, but I've been running no front plate for 20 years and never once been cited for it, even during routine traffic stops. There is also no right to search a car without cause and I don't drive drunk, so those reasons hold no merit with me. I also fail to see what attention has to do with anything. I simply don't care for the look of a plate on the front of my vehicle. Its ugly.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
@jtorrebl, not sure of your statement, but what I was stating is that if the law requires a front plate then why risk getting pulled over. In Canada some fools like to put the license plate in the front window, now how smart does that look. The OPP( like your troopers) will regularly run about 350 license plates in a 12 hour shift just to find out if they have a sticker and insurance, and the officer knows in advance if you have had any previous altercations, IE DUI, speeding, etc, no securely fastened (bolted or screwed) plates are an offense and a ticket will be issued. As a side note if you have headers and aftermarket exhaust the officer may cite you for an E test which requires all the oem emission components, see where it goes, best to not stand out.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
@jesterdfw, If your state requires a front plate then to be legal you must comply. Well if you live in a small town and never go anywhere then that is up to you to decide. By what you have stated in your area there is no problem. When I lived in Alabama it was common to see vehicles in various states of disrepair, there fenders and doors were seen as optional and you did not have to have any license plates on the vehicle for 20 days. Then the fine was 25 dollars after that period had elapsed if caught. If it ran it was driven
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
997 C4S; ML350
tow hook license plate holder is probably the best option. I live in California and the cops are very strict about front plates. My solution was to keep the "temporary" registration decal on the front window. Which will prevent the majority of cops from pulling you over.

I drove my Lotus for 2 years with just the sticker and no front or back plates and my Porsche for 5 years without a front plate and have never had a ticket or been stopped. I had the ML drilled so it's wearing the front plate. BTW, in California, you can get a ticket if your car is parked and the meter maid notices that you don't have the front plate...

GL
Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
'16 Jaguar F-Type R, '21 GLE63s
If you have parktronic, mounting the license plate on the tow hook will block one of the sensors, causing the parktronic system to go off constantly. This was discussed in an old thread about a year ago...
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM

ML350 Bluetec
no securely fastened (bolted or screwed) plates are an offense and a ticket will be issued. .
I've used Automotive tape on my front plates many times without issue. I cover the screw openings by super gluing screw covers over them which 1 look better and 2 looks like the plate is screwed in place.