M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

First oil change at 5K?? Would you?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
First oil change at 5K?? Would you?

I know this has been covered before but I will be nearing my 5k on the ODO in a few weeks and wondered if you would have the oil changed. I know it says 10K but thought I would get everyone's opinion.

I will be taking it in for a tire balance and rotation at the same time.

Last edited by GregGebhardt; 04-24-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML550
1000 Miles

Did mine at 1,000 miles. Gave me piece of mind and I know I'm dealing with fresh oil and a clean filter. GaryNJ (2014 ML550)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
It is a waste of product and money, unless your driving habits and situation are very unusual and severe. MB engineers have spent a hundred years designing engines. Oil manufacturer's have spent even more time than that and have developed synthetic oils that protect like never before, including the oil we use in our MLs - Euro blend Mobil One (one of the best oils made). If they say you can go 10,000 miles you can take it to the bank and there will be plenty of interest to spare.

Oil analysis by Blackstone Labs on my cars and others, have proven this to be true time and again. I have also owned cars with maintenance minders which were first developed 30 years ago by GM. These minders contain oil life expectancy gauges that are extremely sophisticated and accurately tell you, based on a number of factors such as engine revolutions and engine temperatures, when your oil should be changed. Most of these are programmed for dino oil and if you use synthetic oil instead you gain even more protection and longer, extended drain intervals.

Having said all this, if peace of mind means changing oil every three months/3000 miles or some such thing like we did in the old days then do so - it won't hurt. But using some sort of X months/X miles is a slap in the face to automobile technological advances and results in being arbitrary and unscientific.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by shortspark
It is a waste of product and money, unless your driving habits and situation are very unusual and severe. MB engineers have spent a hundred years designing engines. Oil manufacturer's have spent even more time than that and have developed synthetic oils that protect like never before, including the oil we use in our MLs - Euro blend Mobil One (one of the best oils made). If they say you can go 10,000 miles you can take it to the bank and there will be plenty of interest to spare.

Oil analysis by Blackstone Labs on my cars and others, have proven this to be true time and again. I have also owned cars with maintenance minders which were first developed 30 years ago by GM. These minders contain oil life expectancy gauges that are extremely sophisticated and accurately tell you, based on a number of factors such as engine revolutions and engine temperatures, when your oil should be changed. Most of these are programmed for dino oil and if you use synthetic oil instead you gain even more protection and longer, extended drain intervals.

Having said all this, if peace of mind means changing oil every three months/3000 miles or some such thing like we did in the old days then do so - it won't hurt. But using some sort of X months/X miles is a slap in the face to automobile technological advances and results in being arbitrary and unscientific.
While you comments are well taken, I also hesitate to believe everything I read. I am all too aware of the research and newer oil change schedules.

I am asking if the one extra change at 5K is something you would consider and then go to the 10K as recomended. I also realise that it is up to me to decide.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
I remember in the old days people said if the oil level gets to the point that the light comes on, it's probably too late already and you have engine damage. Is that still the case or do the low oil level warnings come one early these days?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
Can't remember where I read this, but I understand Mercedes uses a special oil at the factory to help break in the engine.

Also, many diesel pickup truck owners use dino oil to help wear in the piston rings and prevent glazing of the cylinder walls, then switch to synthetic at the second oil change.

All of which is basically folk wisdom, but still, I would stick with MB recommentations.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by Shrdlu
Can't remember where I read this, but I understand Mercedes uses a special oil at the factory to help break in the engine.

Also, many diesel pickup truck owners use dino oil to help wear in the piston rings and prevent glazing of the cylinder walls, then switch to synthetic at the second oil change.

All of which is basically folk wisdom, but still, I would stick with MB recommentations.
I'm under the same impression plus changing the oil early can be harmful.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by 27T
I'm under the same impression plus changing the oil early can be harmful.
Really? How so?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:28 PM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by DUTCH
Really? How so?
This thread might as well been about religion!

I think he is refering to the fact that MB might use some "special" break in oil" and if you change it out before the 10k your break in will not go well.

For me, I am looking for a fish sandwitch and a large glass of milk!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM

'13 E550 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I remember in the old days people said if the oil level gets to the point that the light comes on, it's probably too late already and you have engine damage. Is that still the case or do the low oil level warnings come one early these days?

It used to be the oil light only came on with low oil pressure. Your oil could be totally full and the light could come on. At idle speed, that might not be much of a problem, but at anything else you are at least causing more wear if not actual damage. Some cars have both an oil level and an oil pressure sensor and light. Low level, throw a quart in when you get a chance, low pressure, find a mechanic quick.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
I changed mine just past 5000, and plan to change it every 7500. This was advice given to me by an engineer at one of the major oil companies

Have also read a few posts about sludge in some of these engines.

I own my ML so I want to take great care of it. If it were a lease I wouldn't bother.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 PM

2013 ML550
If you're interested Greg, I have a 13' ML550 that I purchased and I changed the oil at 1200 miles and every 5k since. Makes me feel better and the engine is a gem. Sadly, one of the few parts of the truck that are...
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
MB might use a break in oil, but they still recommend a Service A oil & filter change at 10K miles or one year whatever comes first. For me I'll only drive 4-5K miles in one year, maybe. I think the 5000-7500 mile range is a good recommendation for an oil change frequency for our MLs.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - MB uses a "special break-in oil" - and yes unecessary and frankly not recommended to change sooner than 10K/1yr interval - except as som old-school owners say "they feel better"..
Old 04-25-2014, 01:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Gerry_C
It used to be the oil light only came on with low oil pressure. Your oil could be totally full and the light could come on. At idle speed, that might not be much of a problem, but at anything else you are at least causing more wear if not actual damage. Some cars have both an oil level and an oil pressure sensor and light. Low level, throw a quart in when you get a chance, low pressure, find a mechanic quick.
That makes sense... if the oil level is really low, the oil pressure gets low too and the light comes on. I guess I better check the oil level instead of relying on warning led's. The last 3 cars I've had, I've bought new and didn't keep for more than 3 years. They never needed oil refilled between oil changes, so I've gotten lazy.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Yes - MB uses a "special break-in oil" - "..
I'd like to know more about this special break-in oil. What is it and what makes it different?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Kartergreg
I'd like to know more about this special break-in oil. What is it and what makes it different?
Me too, but this could also be something they did long ago and yet the rumors lives on.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
There is always confusion surrounding "break-in" oil because for some reason the auto manufacturers are tight lipped about it. I remember having a Honda where the break-in procedure specified that you should not change the oil the first time until the maintenance minder showed at least 15% oil life expectancy (in my case that came at about 6700 miles).

There was much debate about this at the Honda forums and a lot of speculation about what this secret "break-in" oil was. A couple members, myself included, had Blackstone conduct an oil analysis and it found that the oil in all the samples contained an unusually large amount of the element molybdenum. The amount of moly contained in the samples was much greater than is contained in most store bought oils. This was the only unusual aspect of the oil found during analysis.

Moly is an additive that some (but not all) oil manufactures included to help fight the effects of friction and heat. In a new motor that might be very important, especially if break-in procedure is not followed by the driver. Because of this, I selected Havoline dino for my first oil change because it had a higher moly count at that time than any other otc oil (they since changed the additive pack formula which lowered the moly content). I then went with synthetic oil after that when I was sure the motor was thoroughly broken in.

The debate then centered around whether Honda purposely used high doses of moly as an additive or if the higher than normal count was the result of factory lubes, such as used with coated pistons. We never did resolve that one although the general consensus was that "break-in" oil (at least the one used by Honda) is nothing more than regular oil that is high in molybdenum.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Urban legend, unless someone can produce MB documentation stating this.

I buy my cars new. I change the oil and filter at 1k miles, 5k miles and every 5k miles thereafter; and have never had a vehicle that used oil between changes. I think this is especially important as the biodiesel percentages continue to be raised and the resultant possibility for engine sludging increases.

But, to each their own.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 AM

2014 ML350 BlueTec
Lots of early birds here today!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
27T

13ML BT
Originally Posted by DUTCH
Urban legend, unless someone can produce MB documentation stating this.

I buy my cars new. I change the oil and filter at 1k miles, 5k miles and every 5k miles thereafter; and have never had a vehicle that used oil between changes. I think this is especially important as the biodiesel percentages continue to be raised and the resultant possibility for engine sludging increases.

But, to each their own.
Talk about urban legends and ghosts of the past.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 27T
Talk about urban legends and ghosts of the past.
No urban legend. Just facts based on personal experience.

As to the engine sludging with too much biofuel, do a Google.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 4-Matic, GLE350, Harley Davidson Electra Glide
I was taking a long trip so I changed my oil and filter at 5.5k miles. Drove another 7k miles and with 12k did a A service. I will do my full B service at 20k so I will have 7.5k miles on the oil 90% of my driving was highway and easy driving. On my E350 I waited until about 9k to do the first A service and then around 18k did a B service because the dealer was having a special and I saved about $100. I will most likely change my ML's oil every 5-6k if I am doing city driving
Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
I may have missed this but what kind of a time period are we looking at. Has it been a year? My annual milage is only around 6K and the oil change is changed on time not milage.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 4-Matic, GLE350, Harley Davidson Electra Glide
I picked up my ml just before christmas and I now have 12.5k miles. I change my motorcycle oil every year or 3k miles whichever occurs first. I think MB wants you to do the change every year or 10k miles and I am sure if there was an oil related issue, they would check to see if you met that minimum requirement. One thing I found, whenever I went to a dealer and told them I wanted a oil/filter change before the recommended 10k requirement they tried very hard to talk me out of it. I just can't see 10k even on synthetic if I am doing a lot of city or hard service driving. I think MB assums that their cars get driven by old people going to church on sunday!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 5K?? Would you?