M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Should I order my 2015 without running boards?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2003, BMW X5d 2015
Should I order my 2015 without running boards?

I will be placing an order for a MY2015 and want to hear opinions on pros and cons of the running boards. It seems like no one uses them and they are just for occasional access to the roof cargo rails. They seem to get in the way as you step around them when entering the truck and appear to be more for appearance than use.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I have them on my 2012 and probably would not order them again. The boards are too narrow for a man's foot to assist in getting in the seat (although they might be fine for kids or a woman). I step over the running board getting in and out which makes it more difficult than it should be. The only benefit I can see is that they protect the bottom part of your car's panels. I have noticed much less road grime, tar, etc. on the lower panels.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM

2014 ML350, 2012 AM Vantage S Roadster
I was debating getting them not really for functionality but for the looks they provide to the overall "SUV" look of the car. I ended up getting them and have found that both my girlfriend and our dog use the running boards to get in to the car so I'm happy I added them in that regard. I'm 6'4" with a size 12 shoe and haven't even tried to use them because it's very obvious it just won't work.

You can always buy the running boards on eBay and install them afterwards. Super easy and you save a TON buying them from another MB Dealer who sells authentic parts on eBay. It's like 8 screws on each side.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
While I like the way the running boards look, they do get in the way when getting in and out of the car. For me they are strictly cosmetic.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,607 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I was going to get them on my 2014 ML, but once I tried getting in and out of a car that had them, I changed my mind. They get in the way and, at least to me, make it more difficult to get in and out. My daughter has a GL with them and loves them, as do her kids. So, I guess if you are a reasonably tall adult, I would stay away from them. For shorter folks & kids, I guess they are helpful. I have come to think that the ML looks much nicer without them, a much cleaner, more truck like look.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

ML 350 Bluetech 2013 Loving it!
I had great doubts ,when I ordered it ,and looked at all the thread/opinions .
Now having had them for over a year . I love them for the looks , the ML without them look like a car not SUV care to me and feminine ,this makes it loook like a SUV.
Practicality , only to wash the roof!
Its more like choosing the color . If you like the look get it It scores 9/10.
Practicality scores 2/10.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:21 PM

C240 2003, BMW X5d 2015
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I was going to get them on my 2014 ML, but once I tried getting in and out of a car that had them, I changed my mind. They get in the way and, at least to me, make it more difficult to get in and out. My daughter has a GL with them and loves them, as do her kids. So, I guess if you are a reasonably tall adult, I would stay away from them. For shorter folks & kids, I guess they are helpful. I have come to think that the ML looks much nicer without them, a much cleaner, more truck like look.
Actually I like the cleaner look without them; it seems that getting in and out is easier without. I am definitely leaning toward no running boards.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Yes...do not get the running boards..the only thing they offer is cosmetics..100% . They are of no functional use except to wash your roof...should you dare step on them and risk scratching them.
For me I do like the look but a real pain exiting the vehicle especially with the type of seats in the AMG and in the winter a real risk of soiling the back of your pant leg dragging against them..also care must be given wiping them as the rubber treads can easily snag your rag and you end up lifting the ends up.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 AM

ML350
counter-point -> if you like to wash your own car and don't want to drag out a step ladder, the running boards are a must have. It's impossible to wash the roof/sunroof unless you can stand on something (unless you are over 7' tall).

I would NEVER run my car through an automatic wash - Nanook: I've not had any scratching problem standing on my running boards to wash.

Thankfully, MB makes their running boards a bit narrower than BMW, so you can still get a good boost to wash the car, but they don't get in the way with entering/exiting the vehicle.

I say get them (unless you take your car to the car wash)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Don't get them unless you want your ML to look like it has training wheels on or very feminine with little cute wings. They also dirty your pant leg when you get in and out.

You want the package with the AMG style 'twist-bar.' They better match the overall sleek design of the ML.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by gplank
Don't get them unless you want your ML to look like it has training wheels on or very feminine with little cute wings. They also dirty your pant leg when you get in and out.

You want the package with the AMG style 'twist-bar.' They better match the overall sleek design of the ML.
LOL. I think someone has "other" problems if they think they look feminine!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Do a search here and get pages of opinions and learn how the pant leg problem is a myth.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 AM

'13 ML350 Bluetec, '16 Subaru Legacy; '94 Toyota Pickup
I had ordered my 2013 ML350BT with running boards. The dealer talked me into it as he said they all had them and it's impossible to get them after delivery. I tried them out before ordering and found them too narrow to be of any use and if I tried to use them as a step chances were my foot would slip off. Very awkward I thought. Also I experienced the pant leg rubbing across them as I exited the vehicle as impossible to avoid. But I ordered them anyway. On delivery day I almost missed the fact that the running boards were not on the car! The fact they were missing can't be explained but as a result I'm so happy and I was refunded the $650 I paid for them. I have not missed them at all and I doubt they would boost me up high enough to be useable to wash the entire roof of the car. Those running boards are too narrow to be real running boards and I agree with gplank about being more cute than useful.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I would never use those things to stand on when washing my roof. If they are too narrow to step on to get in the car they are certainly too narrow to work off of. A little step stool is so much better.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 PM

2014 ML 350 bluetec
in my opnion, if you get the AMG sports package, do not get the running boards. With the AMG package, you get the side skirts, then if you add running boards, MB will delete the sideskirts (they do not credit you them!) and they add an extra for the running boards, which also adds a black paint strip above them. SO if you get an all white or silver car, you will have a aluminum boards, black paint stripe, then your paint.

I opted for all diamond white, sports package, no running board, no hitch, car looks clean thats how I like it.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
hos

2014 ML250BT
Originally Posted by MannyS430
in my opnion, if you get the AMG sports package, do not get the running boards. With the AMG package, you get the side skirts, then if you add running boards, MB will delete the sideskirts (they do not credit you them!) and they add an extra for the running boards, which also adds a black paint strip above them. SO if you get an all white or silver car, you will have a aluminum boards, black paint stripe, then your paint.

I opted for all diamond white, sports package, no running board, no hitch, car looks clean thats how I like it.
Can you post some pics please Manny?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM
27T

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
13ML BT
Most people (read women under 5'6 and all kids) will appreciate the RB. I'm 6'3 and sometimes use them when entering on pass side when stepping from a curb. If you're fat and out of shape or mobility is fairly limited it'll more difficult to use the RB because they are narrow.

Your pant leg will still get dirty even without RB because the door does not cover the sill below the door. Myth busted.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
2. They are too narrow to be of any use as a toe first step. What good is any step that you don't approach toe first? And when you do step up on them you are way too high to enter the car.

2. Look at a running board equipped car and see how far away you must stand from where you might ever place your foot inside the car... at least a foot away from the inside of the floor. Who would normally stand so far away from a vehicle you want to get into?

3. They are strictly a testosterone touch for the car.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 AM

14 GLK 250 BT
Anymore, it is really if you like the (modified) look of the (flashy and shiny) running boards (horizontal lines) with almost minimal utility. When they have much MORE utility (slip resistant rubber step), they normally do not look very good. On (5) other SUV's I have had much wider running boards.

I would and did get 2 current CUV's WITHOUT running boards. .

Last edited by Rdub; 06-06-2014 at 11:24 AM.