Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SUVs, Trucks, Vans, Diesels, Other > M-Class (W166)
2015 ML400 has better fuel economy than ML350? >

2015 ML400 has better fuel economy than ML350?

Notices
M-Class (W166) 2012, Read about the upcoming M-Class

2015 ML400 has better fuel economy than ML350?

 
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coche
2015 ML400 has better fuel economy than ML350?

I was looking at fueleconomy.gov and it seems like the 2015 ML400 has better fuel economy than the ML350 4matic. Interesting that all wheel drive penalizes the ML350 a little more.

ML350 4matic: 17/22 (19 combined)
ML400: 18/22 (20 combined)

the regular ML350 without 4matic is 18/24 (20 combined).
sparc is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Cyber GS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC / LI
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Just came back from a 900 mile round trip from NY to NC. Four of us, ML fully loaded and the trip computer had my mpg at 23.5 at an avg speed of 61 mph..
I can't complain..

Yeah, I know I should manually calculate the mpg but I'm lazy..
Cyber GS is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 02:06 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coche
I wonder if this is a sign that the ML350 might turn into some sort 4 cylinder turbo in the upcoming 2016+ model years so that they can improve fuel economy.
sparc is offline  
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 355
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by Cyber GS View Post
Just came back from a 900 mile round trip from NY to NC. Four of us, ML fully loaded and the trip computer had my mpg at 23.5 at an avg speed of 61 mph..
I can't complain..

Yeah, I know I should manually calculate the mpg but I'm lazy..
I've a compulsive numbers guy and have tracked every tank on two ML's since new and record what the vehicle computer says I got for the tank and compare it to the real number and the Mercedes engineers set it to be very optimistic, always off by 10% or so (on both my '08 diesel and '12 550). I reset the computer at every fill up.

Your 23.5 was more likely around 21. (still far better than my 550 that has averaged a real 17 mpg over 29 months )
2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Cyber GS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC / LI
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue View Post
I've a compulsive numbers guy and have tracked every tank on two ML's since new and record what the vehicle computer says I got for the tank and compare it to the real number and the Mercedes engineers set it to be very optimistic, always off by 10% or so (on both my '08 diesel and '12 550). I reset the computer at every fill up.

Your 23.5 was more likely around 21. (still far better than my 550 that has averaged a real 17 mpg over 29 months )
You're probably right..

I look at it this way. Approx 4700LB ML, loaded with luggage and 4 adult size passengers. Most of the time I was at 72+MPH that averaged out to 61..So considering all these factors and still 21MPG.. I'm fine with that..
Cyber GS is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 AM
  #6  
Newbie
 
bysmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by 2012MLBlue View Post
Your 23.5 was more likely around 21. (still far better than my 550 that has averaged a real 17 mpg over 29 months )
Do you mean 17mpg highway? And how fast do you usually drive? Mine is 350, and when I hit 70 mph I can only get 20 mpg, but 25 mpg at 55 mph. The difference is a lot
bysmb is offline  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4-Matic, ML350
My mpg indicator is very accurate. I found that at 70+ I was at about 23.5mpg which is the same that I get driving around town. At 55-65mph, I get about 27mpg. I do keep a few lbs more air pressure in the tires. I use 93 octane from Costco most of the time and find if I use shell, the numbers usually go down.
pcsgrp is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Kenn1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
I have a 13' ML550 and just took a 210 mile trip, the computer said 17.1 mpg, trip speed average was 76 mph but a large majority of the miles were 90-100 mph. When I checked at the gas station it came out to 16.8 mpg. I'm certainly not complaining, not bad at all for the speeds I was driving. I've also set my cruise at 65 mph and gotten 22-23 mpg.
Kenn1926 is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 355
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLE 350d
Originally Posted by Kenn1926 View Post
I have a 13' ML550 and just took a 210 mile trip, the computer said 17.1 mpg, trip speed average was 76 mph but a large majority of the miles were 90-100 mph. When I checked at the gas station it came out to 16.8 mpg. I'm certainly not complaining, not bad at all for the speeds I was driving. I've also set my cruise at 65 mph and gotten 22-23 mpg.
Really you need to manually calculate multiple tanks in a row to get any accurate sense of mileage. With one tank who knows if the tank was truly full at the last fill up or did the pump click off early?

Best tank ever on my 550 was 21 mpg of 100% gentle highway miles (465 miles) on a road trip.

Best tank ever on my diesel was 28.7 mpg of all rural road country driving (709 miles) on a tank. Only me in the vehicle.
2012MLBlue is offline  
Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM
  #10  
27T
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 511
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13ML BT
How are you guys calculating?
- How much do you know is already in the tank? Then how much is used? etc.
27T is offline  
Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Kenn1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 121
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
I filled until bubbling up the filler neck before and filled It until the same immediately after the trip.
Kenn1926 is offline  
Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MDMercedesGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,193
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
I'm in an ML400 for the next couple of days while a broken clip on my sunroof on my C is replaced along with my driver's seat cover. I've been driving it fairly aggressively, but a mix of city and highway. I've driven about 120 miles so far today, and am averaging 18.3. I'm not gonna complain about that - I've been dipping deep into the pedal quite a bit. The turbo lag is there, but not too bad - when spooled, it goes down the road quite nicely.
MDMercedesGuy is offline  
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 3,010
Received 462 Likes on 347 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy View Post
I'm in an ML400 for the next couple of days while a broken clip on my sunroof on my C is replaced along with my driver's seat cover. I've been driving it fairly aggressively, but a mix of city and highway. I've driven about 120 miles so far today, and am averaging 18.3. I'm not gonna complain about that - I've been dipping deep into the pedal quite a bit. The turbo lag is there, but not too bad - when spooled, it goes down the road quite nicely.
Let me get this straight: you brought in your C Class for some cosmetic issues and the dealer loaned you a 2015 ML400??? WHERE do I sign up for this? I bring in a $114K S550 for service and they loan me a C300! Hang onto that dealer!
Streamliner is online now  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:05 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MDMercedesGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,193
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Let me get this straight: you brought in your C Class for some cosmetic issues and the dealer loaned you a 2015 ML400??? WHERE do I sign up for this? I bring in a $114K S550 for service and they loan me a C300! Hang onto that dealer!
Unfortunately, it is a bit more than cosmetic. My entire sunroof module has to be replaced.

The dealer is Euromotorcars Germantown, in Germantown MD. They aren't classist when it comes to customer service - I wouldn't give my business to a dealer that behaved that way. It also helps that I am in there quite a bit buying parts or shooting the breeze - they are about a mile from my office (and about a mile from the house I just bought today...)

The one and only time my smart had to go to the dealer, I got a C300 (back in 2010), which was a nice surprise. Ultimately it solidified my decision to get a C for my next car.

It's a bit filthy - my buddy is shopping for land to build a house, so we put 4matic to good use this afternoon.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 10-14-2014 at 01:11 AM.
MDMercedesGuy is offline  
Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Munich77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Washington DC area
Posts: 800
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2008 E350 4matic
Congrats on the new house. Interesting experience with Euro Germantown - Bethesda has been treating us well.
Munich77 is offline  
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MDMercedesGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,193
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport Sedan
I can't say enough good things about the Euromotorcars dealers - they have truly been outstanding in every way. Their body shop - not so much
MDMercedesGuy is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 ML400 has better fuel economy than ML350?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: