M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Smelly air vents on Startup - no water draining from AC System? Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
Smelly air vents on Startup - no water draining from AC System? Anyone else?

Hi - 1 year old GLE that stinks like smelly/musty socks on startup. I see there are lots of threads about this issue and even a class action.

All my other cars drip lots of water from the evaporator after the car is parked / turned off. I notice my merc doesn't which leads me to believe that a drain tube is blocked causing this smell.

Does anyone notice that their car DOES NOT drip water after the car is parked, AC was on, and it's hot/humid outside?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well...

I feel for you ... what did your dealer have to say ?

"Class Action" - yeah, right... whatever..I'll sell you a Fantasia Passport..

1. Remember there are affordable "evaporator" and "auto aircon cleaners" out there - the best ones have long thin plastic tubes you insert down each dash vent - releasing the chemical deep in the system - draw tube slowly out - cleans duct as well. Pricier in Canada than US - but not cripplingly expensive DIY

2. "Gym shoe" smell in most cases is caused by evaporator frosting up - like the back of a old fridge - then after car is stopped/parked - the frost melts leaving interior of the system wet/moist - which in turn allows mold/mildew like to grow/build

3. Could your drain be clogged - possibly - most cases my tech see are owners who keep their system on "Lo" or at real low temp - rather than auto - so during drive time evaporator frosts up - which in turn lowers system efficiency - feeding the thought "I have to keep it low to stay cool" when actually it is frosting up the system..
I have yet had a customer "admit" - but I have my service techs check climate control systems on checkin - and 80%+ are unintentional driver settings..

5. Mercedes US uses the "Wurth" evaporator/system cleaner - and they change out the filters at the same time

Keep the beat !
Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 ML350 4MATIC
There is NO way to put any blame on the owners for this obvious design flaw. You may love your car, and be a big fan of Mercedes (as I am), but there is NO excuse for this issue...and it's been a problem for many years now.
Just the simple fact that a significant percentage of owners are experiencing this problem, proves that their actions are not unreasonable.
I love my car, but this issue is my biggest gripe.
My solution has been to try to remember to turn off AC compressor a few minutes before parking the car for an extended period of time.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Brent S
There is NO way to put any blame on the owners for this obvious design flaw. You may love your car, and be a big fan of Mercedes (as I am), but there is NO excuse for this issue...and it's been a problem for many years now.
Just the simple fact that a significant percentage of owners are experiencing this problem, proves that their actions are not unreasonable.
I love my car, but this issue is my biggest gripe.
My solution has been to try to remember to turn off AC compressor a few minutes before parking the car for an extended period of time.
Hi Brent - does condensate drip from the bottom of your ML after parked?

I can't help thinking my evaporator drain lines are blocked.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:21 PM

C63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I feel for you ... what did your dealer have to say ?

"Class Action" - yeah, right... whatever..I'll sell you a Fantasia Passport..

1. Remember there are affordable "evaporator" and "auto aircon cleaners" out there - the best ones have long thin plastic tubes you insert down each dash vent - releasing the chemical deep in the system - draw tube slowly out - cleans duct as well. Pricier in Canada than US - but not cripplingly expensive DIY

2. "Gym shoe" smell in most cases is caused by evaporator frosting up - like the back of a old fridge - then after car is stopped/parked - the frost melts leaving interior of the system wet/moist - which in turn allows mold/mildew like to grow/build

3. Could your drain be clogged - possibly - most cases my tech see are owners who keep their system on "Lo" or at real low temp - rather than auto - so during drive time evaporator frosts up - which in turn lowers system efficiency - feeding the thought "I have to keep it low to stay cool" when actually it is frosting up the system..
I have yet had a customer "admit" - but I have my service techs check climate control systems on checkin - and 80%+ are unintentional driver settings..

5. Mercedes US uses the "Wurth" evaporator/system cleaner - and they change out the filters at the same time

Keep the beat !
Dealer says it's normal for the car to smell like a gym..

Is it normal for this car to not drip water after it has been turned off? I'm wondering if my evaporator drain tubes are clogged. Haven't been able to locate where they are either.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
I honestly haven't paid too much attention to that. But, as I've read on other postings, that's one of the possible issues...that the condensate doesn't have adequate means to drain and dry-out...producing the mildew/smell. I doubt it's blocked....because of the frequency of this issue....it's likely that your car is just like mine and all the rest.....they smell.
There are tons of posts on this forum about this problem. There's a technical service bulletin (which mine has received the 'repair'), but it still smells (not an absolute fix).
I've started shutting off the AC (press the AC button) and leaving it in the AUTO mode....therefore running the vent. Do that for the last 5 min of your trip. That makes a difference for me.
For my next service interval, I plan to replace all filters (combo & dust), and maybe I'll do one of those spray cleaners then. That may help.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM

C63
I honestly haven't paid too much attention to that. But, as I've read on other postings, that's one of the possible issues...that the condensate doesn't have adequate means to drain and dry-out...producing the mildew/smell. I doubt it's blocked....because of the frequency of this issue....it's likely that your car is just like mine and all the rest.....they smell.
There are tons of posts on this forum about this problem. There's a technical service bulletin (which mine has received the 'repair'), but it still smells (not an absolute fix).
I've started shutting off the AC (press the AC button) and leaving it in the AUTO mode....therefore running the vent. Do that for the last 5 min of your trip. That makes a difference for me.
For my next service interval, I plan to replace all filters (combo & dust), and maybe I'll do one of those spray cleaners then. That may help.
Amazing that we have to baby the hvac system of a $90k (well, in Canada) Mercedes. Go figure.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 PM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Yep, I agree. Definitely a legitimate gripe. And I ALWAYS use mine in the "AUTO" mode....usually set at 72F. The setting should not make any difference. AC systems should cycle on/off to prevent evaporator freeze-up....just like in dehumidifiers, refrigerators, etc... have adequate drainage, and be designed not to promote mold/mildew or any other fungus.
That's why I don't want to hear people blame the occupant, about what setting they're using.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
Class Action

There is a class action suit regarding this:

https://www.law360.com/articles/9234...dy-hvac-system
Old 09-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Someone on the forum said it's not good if you switch off the AC button when it's cold outside. I keep my AC button switched on all year long and for the moment have no problem with smells. GLE w166 after 1 year of use.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - I am not out to "blame" anyone - I am sharing the fact 80%+ of the owners who come into our service dept have set their aircons to "Lo" and run "Lo" continuous - and that's when the freeze-melt happens.

Wurth has a decent system cleanup product - so does Nextzett (formerly Eiznett) - and (1) Cleanup & (2) fresh filters & (3) adjusting owner settings take care of the problem like 100%.

I have customers who "swear on the Bible" they set at 72 - and the fact is they/or-significant-other put their settings back to Lo..
Old 10-02-2017, 10:13 AM

2014 ML350 4MATIC
Most automotive AC compressors will disengage anyway...when it's cold enough outside. I know GM cars are usually set to cutoff around 38F. I would like to hear their reasoning why it wouldn't be good to shut the compressor off a couple of minutes before you park the car.

I don't even have "LO" on my panel. I'm not sure what you're talking about; I have a temp dial. I can't imaging 80% of people turning the temp dial all the way down to 60, and then manually lowering the fan all the way down...and trying to control the temp in that fashion....is that what you claim people do?

Regardless, the system should be able to handle that.....most compressors cycle on/off accordingly, to prevent evaporator freeze-up. All evaporators of every AC system are designed (or should be designed) to deal with the inevitable condensation that happens. In fact, that's one of the main reasons for the evaporator in a car.....to dry out the air.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
..I can't imaging 80% of people turning the temp dial all the way down to 60, and then manually lowering the fan all the way down...and trying to control the temp in that fashion....is that what you claim people do?
That would be my wife....
Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Part of the dealer update is a new coding option in the AAC that allows the blower motor to do it's drying cycle of the evaporator much sooner, starting 3 min after shutdown instead of an hour. This, I think, makes more difference than anything else.

We get this smell in almost every 166 here in south FL, but it's hot and humid every day of the year, worst possible case for evap moisture.

I agree, it's not an excuse, but the germans tend to try to figure out a way around it rather than change the design in a way that prevents the issue.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE-350 4Matic
Some details. You could google more by yourself

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/me...lion-vehicles/