Maybach (W240) Produced 2002-2012

Maybach 57S or S65 AMG? Which would you prefer and why?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Maybach 57S or S65 AMG? Which would you prefer and why?

Assuming one would not want to utilize air transportation on a several-month roadtrip throughout the U.S., which car would you rather travel in?
Old 02-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Depends if I'm driving or being driven.

If I'm being driven, then definitely the Maybach. It seems more comfortable in the back.

But, if I'm driving, then I'd take the S65.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually i'd settle for a Maybach 62 ofcourse with "K " on it!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
I agree 100% with AsianML, it depends on who is driving. S65 driving, 57S driven in.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:55 PM
ON PROBATION

I am definately going to get an S65. And I'll prbably go ahead and get a 57S when I am in Germany this next month. The car is fantastic. Gotta try one.

And I'll be driving - but whomever is in the back seat is going to enjoy the ride I'd bet!
Attached Thumbnails Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-2005-maybach-57-s-console-1280x960-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-2005-maybach-57-s-interior-1280x960-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-2005-maybach-57-s-ra-rear-seating-1280x960-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-2005-maybach-57-s-steering-wheel-1024x768-custom-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Do all 57S come with carbon fiber? What other options are available....I rather prefer a wood interior.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chappy
I rather prefer a wood interior.
The CF interior and plush seat on that Maybach is just...
Old 02-22-2006, 11:44 AM
ON PROBATION

Standard appointment is solid color silver or black exterior. CF interior trim. I am not sure about this part, but I believe that you have two or three interior color choices standard, as well.

I have gotten AMG to agree to build a customer spec (my exterior and interior color choices and wood trim) Myabach 57 and then take it to AMG to do the 57S conversion. This has taken a year, off and on....

So my answer would be yes, standard trim is CF; but it is possible for one to get the car optioned/spec'd as desired if one asks (or asks for long enough!)....

I want the wood; and my own interior and exterior color choices.... These aren't of my wood or interior color choice -- but you can see the difference between the use of wood and CF in these....
Attached Thumbnails Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach_03206_0009_03_02_03-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach_03206_0009_03_02_11-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach_03206_0009_03_02_17-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach_03206_0009_03_02_21-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach_03206_0009_03_02_33-medium-.jpg  

Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
ON PROBATION

Here are three pics from SeriousWheels which show the wood in the interior a little bit better, I think:
Attached Thumbnails Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach-57-interior-skyline-day-1600x1200-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-57-interior-night-cropped-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach-57-interior-skyline-1600x1200-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2006, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Interesting that CF comes as standard on the 57S. What are the colors for the interior choices?

I drove a 62 a couple years ago with another MBWorld member down in Florida on Amelia Island....nice little video clip he shot of us us tooling along from his reclined position in the back seat. Good times!

Personally, I like the heft of the W140 platform on which the Maybach is based. It drives beautifully and actually handles pretty decent, even for a 6,000 pound luxo-cruiser.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:16 PM
ON PROBATION

The very first year it was the silver and the black, both monochromatic - no two-tone - only for the exterior colors. Interior choices were CF with some Piano black lacquer wood trim only; and I believe just Galapagos Grey and Labrador Anthracite (black) for the leather and carpet. They may have offered Maui Pearl, which is an ivory color - but I am not positive about that.

In the second year you again had only the two exterior color treatments. But I do believe that they added the option of going all Piano Black Lacquer wood, or Piano Black with the CF trim. I think that they also expanded interior colors for leather and carpet to include the Maui Pearl and the California Beige (the tan or coffee colored interior you see in one set of my earlier-posted pics. The other, lighter, interior I earlier posted is of the Maui Pearl.)

There are two other interior colors: Maldives Blue (dark blue), and Barrier Reef Red (maroon or burgundy); and there are three other wood trim options: Burl Walnut, Cherry, and Amboyna. The Amboyna looks like walnut in its grain-pattern but is medium in tone (like the laurel in an S550), and is the wood in the earlier post of mine with the grey interior.

It is still my understanding that the other wood choices, the other two interior choices, and the two-tone treatment and other paint choices for the exterior are not standard-order options.

Which raises the question - what is standard about ordering a Maybach? The whole ordering process involves deciding on about 30 different 'standard' color options, plus another 20 interior options! It is a custom order car. They had set the AMG model 57S apart, and did not give the breadth of options available on a 'regular' Maybach 57. Perhaps that has now changed?

BTW, if you ever get a chance, go into a Maybach Studio at a MBZ dealership which has one -- it is quite an experience! The way car ordering should be; and just like ordering in the USA with Maserati, Aston Martin, and Morgan in my experience. If you're going to pay that much for a car, you really should be able to get exactly what you want - and you should be informed of all your options.... They just don't do that here in the States - except in the rare exceptions like with the Maybach, Maserati, Morgan, and Aston Martin. Overseas (at least in Europe in my experience) all of the high-end cars are considered custom order, and you pick out everything - from the colors, to the options, to the engine.

Here are more pics, showing Piano Black Lacquer-only, Maui Pearl, and Galapagos Grey.
Attached Thumbnails Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach-57s-console-close-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach-57s-console-all-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach-57s-interior-2-front-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-maybach-57s-interior-2-rear-medium-.jpg   Maybach 57S or S65 AMG?  Which would you prefer and why?-galapagos-grey-walnut-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by ClayJ; 02-22-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Great info, thanks.

Strange, but the color options seem to have a tropical destination / scuba diving ring to them, no?

Barrier Reef Red
Maldives Blue
Galapagos Grey
Maui Pearl
California Beige

My dream 57S would be Black and Silver 2-tone exterior with California beige interior and Piano Wood.......mmmmm.......sounds like a similar color combo on my 300CE (040 Black with silver cladding and Palomino interior with burled walnut).

I'll mull over my dream Maybach while chillin' in the Cayman's.....very soon. Fortunately, my office is about ten minutes from the Maybach dealer.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 AM
ON PROBATION

I'm thinking at this point monochromatic in the new S's Andorite Grey, or two tone in Tectite Grey and Crystal Laurite Silver, with the California Beige or Maui Pearl, and the Burl Walnut.... The last time I did one up I was going with the two-tone Himalaya Greys with the Charcoal or dark grey interior; I've decided now that there's not enough contrast there between the interior and exterior colors.....

I am planning on going to the factory in Germany to take a gander, make the decisions, and order the puppy here within the next month, Chappy.

I will share the car here when it's done.

Go in to the design studio and give me your opinions, Chappy -- I do welcome them....

Yeah, and don't you wish that you had a marketing team with such imaginative ideas? LOL
Old 02-23-2006, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Yeah, and don't you wish that you had a marketing team with such imaginative ideas? LOL
LOL....you have obviously missed the thread with my AMG rap in it

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=amg+rap

or this one, adapted for DerekFSUs 10.95 quarter-mile record breaker!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=amg+rap

Clearly, Mercedes-AMG or Maybach Manufaktur would benefit from my creative genius!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:54 PM
ON PROBATION

I'm leaving now to go check them out Chappy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's the Shiznit, Fo' Sho.

Send 'em a demo tape, Chappy -- they have said they want to garner some urban market-share on the two coasts with the new ML and GL......

I think that they were targeting a slightly different market for the Maybach with the tropical islands theme....

Last edited by ClayJ; 02-23-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by AsianML

If I'm being driven, then definitely the Maybach. It seems more comfortable in the back.

That's exactly what i was thinking.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 AM
Almost a Member!

TOTALLY AGREE!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
If I were driving, I'd prefer to take the Rolls Royce Phantom.

If I were riding, I'd prefer to take the Rolls Royce Phantom.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Originally Posted by patrick_y
If I were driving, I'd prefer to take the Rolls Royce Phantom.

If I were riding, I'd prefer to take the Rolls Royce Phantom.
x2
Am I the only one who dislike the Maybach? It just looks too boring. Havent seen 57s though....
Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Does anyone know if the 57S has helped sales any this year?

M
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by GMBALL
x2
Am I the only one who dislike the Maybach? It just looks too boring. Havent seen 57s though....
I like this guy.

If I ever get a Phantom, I'll take Euro delivery around the time of the Gumball Rally. You can be my copilot. Then again, I don't see myself getting a Phantom, since it's about $370k USD.

The Gumball rally is expensive, who would pay for that? Millionaire playboy racers?

I've seen the 57S in person at Pebble Beach in August. Not very impressed. I think that car is too paradoxial, it wants to be a sports car and a limousine at the same time. It needs to make up its mind. No way an almost 6 meter long car can be a sports car anyways.

I also think that the 57S will not necessarily help Maybach sales. It will probably only divert Maybach 57 clients to the 57S. However, if you're looking for a $300k USD limousine, you normally look at Rolls Royce, if you're looking at the Maybach 57S, you've already ruled out the Rolls Royce, the Maybach 57S competitor is the Maybach 57.

The Rolls Royce compeitor does not exist. People who look at these cars don't consider the Maybach as an option.

I'm talking theoretically, of course, there's always an exception.

Last edited by patrick_y; 05-08-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I like this guy.

If I ever get a Phantom, I'll take Euro delivery around the time of the Gumball Rally. You can be my copilot. Then again, I don't see myself getting a Phantom, since it's about $370k USD.

The Gumball rally is expensive, who would pay for that? Millionaire playboy racers?

I've seen the 57S in person at Pebble Beach in August. Not very impressed. I think that car is too paradoxial, it wants to be a sports car and a limousine at the same time. It needs to make up its mind. No way an almost 6 meter long car can be a sports car anyways.

I also think that the 57S will not necessarily help Maybach sales. It will probably only divert Maybach 57 clients to the 57S. However, if you're looking for a $300k USD limousine, you normally look at Rolls Royce, if you're looking at the Maybach 57S, you've already ruled out the Rolls Royce, the Maybach 57S competitor is the Maybach 57.

The Rolls Royce compeitor does not exist. People who look at these cars don't consider the Maybach as an option.

I'm talking theoretically, of course, there's always an exception.
Exception here. Close family friend. Hates the RR, Maybach all the way. Doesn't even consider the RR a competitor.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Exception here. Close family friend. Hates the RR, Maybach all the way. Doesn't even consider the RR a competitor.
Exception to every rule.

Everybody has their own opinion. But there's definitely a reason why the Rolls Royce outsells the Maybach (although it's not by a very large margin).

I'll say this though. I like the Maybach's brochure much more than the Rolls Royce brochure, but that's about it.

When the dealer demoed the Maybach for me, I found some faults regarding the trim on the Maybach. For example, the wood trim on the rear door of the 62 does not completely go flush with the door on the end (the side where you can't see when the door is closed, the width of the door). There's about a 1 cm gap of nothing, a crater, the wood trim is supposed to extend all the way to the metal frame of the door like the leather trim.

I'm an extremely detailed person, however, i could not find any fault with the Rolls Royce.

I also didn't appreciate the Maybach's suede "nubuck" leather trim. I much rather prefer the Rolls Royce's pebbled leather trim.

But I'm not buying either, so I really can't say too much about either of them.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 PM

e55amg w210
There was a very funny programme on BBC, Top Gear. And JeremyClarksson was conviencing some guy (i think it was Simon Cowell, who has RR) that Maybach looks boring, he prefers RR and etc etc, and that guy (SC) replied that on the inside, Maybach just kills RR, because it's much more comfortable and has a much better seats, and that is what most important. He says that when you seat in the first class boeing, you don;t care how it looks, you do care what's inside.
BTW, i have a neighbour that has both cars, Maybach is his, and RR is his wifes, both are driven, so there is a competition between them.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by GMBALL
x2
x3 now

I can say I've never driven/been driven in either one and only sat in the Maybach 62. IMO, aside from knowing how much the Maybach costs and what it, I don't really care much for it.

Here in NYC, there are several chauffer driven Maybachs and very few people stop and look. The RR on the onther hand, people always stop and stare. The car has a presence that commands attention

Not to compare, my parents have an old RR Silver Shadow LWB at their house in MI that sits in the garage for the most part to match the grand old English tudor. The car drives like crap but its very comfy and quiet in the back seat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Maybach 57S or S65 AMG? Which would you prefer and why?