Saw Maybatch today, look cheap for the $$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Saw Maybatch today, look cheap for the $$

Stopped by Fletcher Jones today to get some parts for my car. While there, I saw a Maybatch being test driven by some top shot clients.

It looks much bigger than the S, however, it doesn't look propotional well, to me, it's more like bulky & massive. Take a combination of the old S600 and new BMW 745il, that'll get you the picture.

Once thing I know for sure is that it doesn't look worthy $300K, not that I could ever afford it, but even if I get a boat load of $$, I still wouldn't buy it. I think the new S55/CL55 look the best for the money.

Park that car next to a Bentley, for the same cost, the Bentley look & feel a zillion classes higher than the Maybatch.

Call it the big & over-price S. No wonder it's not doing so well in Europe.

Oh well, the "only-me-me-me" American will grab them all up anyway.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Yeah i know. I stopped by F Jones the other day too. Looked so ugly with the two tone. Oversized s class to me. NOT WORTH 150 let alond 300 thousand.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Guest0001

the Bentley ARNAGE owns the Maybach!
Old 05-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Was is a 57 or 62?
Old 05-27-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Bentley ARNAGE owns the Maybach!
When it comes to exterior design yes. But the Maybach has a better engine and interior and alot more technology.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:02 PM

2004 S 600
When it comes to luxury autos.......most of a buyers favorable impressions are intangible aspects built up over time. IMO, the Maybach is the top "limo" car in the world...but the Bentley and RR Phantom have 100 years of branding history and the "panache".
Old 05-27-2003, 10:52 PM

mercmaniac... arent you the guy who said you sold your company for like 2 billion, or was that someone else
Old 05-28-2003, 10:56 AM

2004 S 600
Originally posted by Caliz_Finest
mercmaniac... arent you the guy who said you sold your company for like 2 billion, or was that someone else
Yes, sold it back in 99.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:21 PM

what was the name of the company? sorry if the questions are annoying you , im just curious.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
...maybe it was because you saw a Maybatch and not a maybach.. :p j/k.
I love the design of it actually, it looks nice and sleek. before i didnt like the new Rolls, but now i like that one too. It just has that classic look that stands out. Reminds me of The Great Gatsby, one of the greatests book ever.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by ajayz
...maybe it was because you saw a Maybatch and not a maybach.. :p j/k.
I love the design of it actually, it looks nice and sleek. before i didnt like the new Rolls, but now i like that one too. It just has that classic look that stands out. Reminds me of The Great Gatsby, one of the greatests book ever.
I dont' like the new rolls, the phantom right? Looks like a old persons car (but i guess thats the demographic right?)
Old 05-28-2003, 10:52 PM

I dont' like the new rolls, the phantom right? Looks like a old persons car
Thats EXACTLY what its supposed to look like
Old 05-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Caliz_Finest
Thats EXACTLY what its supposed to look like

but the S class and 745i are old mans cars too

but they have some young appeal to it. i would not drive one at my age tho, i have lightyears ahead of me to own a big body family sedan
Old 05-29-2003, 05:58 PM

The S class is not an old man's car. RICH people, young or old are going to buy a MB, if nothing else. There are only 3 main models to get: S CL SL. People seem to overlook the fact that young people in this generation are acquiring wealth faster than the previous generation did. The mindset of people having to work 20+ years in order to afford something nice is a thing of the past. Money is more fluid these days; younger people are getting the high paying jobs and many are also finding ways to make serious wealth for themselves. MB's are status symbols, not age indicators.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:50 PM

Jaguar
CHEAP??? Not at all...

I think that you need to sit in the car, drive it, and experience what the new Maybach has to offer. This car will be the most luxuriuos car in the world, beating the Bentley and Rolls Royce. Why do you think that the Bentleys are selling under sticker, the Rolls Royce Phantom cannot sell all of its allocations, while the new Maybach is sold out at least for a year and people in Europe are paying a premium for it?
Attached Thumbnails Saw Maybatch today, look cheap for the $$-interiorbeigechampaneandglasseslightwood.jpg  
Old 06-04-2003, 08:47 PM

Re: CHEAP??? Not at all...

Originally posted by Nelson90210
I think that you need to sit in the car, drive it, and experience what the new Maybach has to offer. This car will be the most luxuriuos car in the world, beating the Bentley and Rolls Royce. Why do you think that the Bentleys are selling under sticker, the Rolls Royce Phantom cannot sell all of its allocations, while the new Maybach is sold out at least for a year and people in Europe are paying a premium for it?
I think you need to get your facts straight. Dealers here in Florida have sold their allocations for the RR. In fact, there's a backorder. They can't make them fast enough. Reasonably, the Bentley Arnage HAS to sell for under sticker being that it is an old design in competition with the newer models. That's just good business sense. Wait till the new Bentley sedan comes out.

I agree, there is nothing cheap about the Maybach, but the exterior looks a little uninspiring. Looks too much like the S class. Stylewise, the Maybach adds nothing new to the industry. IMO, the RR is a little over the top for my tastes. From the side, it looks like its made for hauling caskets. I am holding out for the new Bentley. I am confident that VW will not let me down.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:17 PM

Jaguar
Re: Re: CHEAP??? Not at all...

Originally posted by internet_mafia
I think you need to get your facts straight. Dealers here in Florida have sold their allocations for the RR. In fact, there's a backorder. They can't make them fast enough. Reasonably, the Bentley Arnage HAS to sell for under sticker being that it is an old design in competition with the newer models. That's just good business sense. Wait till the new Bentley sedan comes out.

I agree, there is nothing cheap about the Maybach, but the exterior looks a little uninspiring. Looks too much like the S class. Stylewise, the Maybach adds nothing new to the industry. IMO, the RR is a little over the top for my tastes. From the side, it looks like its made for hauling caskets. I am holding out for the new Bentley. I am confident that VW will not let me down.
I do have my facts straight. Rolls Royce is still not sold out of their allocations for the new Phantom. I'm in the car business, and you can rest assured that if I tell you that they are not sold out, it means that they are not sold out. There are dealers in the USA that still have not taken any deposits on the Phantom. In the contrary, all Maybach dealers have already taken a few deposits and you cannot get a 1st delivery car. The only way to do so, is to pay a premium to someone who has already ordered one and placed a $50,000 deposit over a year ago!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i dont think they will let you test drive the Maybachs, am i correct?
considering how expensive and what it provides...
Old 06-06-2003, 09:55 PM

Jaguar
Originally posted by gup998
i dont think they will let you test drive the Maybachs, am i correct?
considering how expensive and what it provides...
If you are a big client at the dealership where the Maybach is tested at the time or if you have made a deposit to buy the car, they will allow you to drive the car. Otherwise, forget about it !
Old 06-07-2003, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
If I remember correctly, the Maybatch is supposed to be custom ordered and taylored to the way you want it. I have never seen one because I don't go to auto show, too lazy, I guess. But from what I read, it seems like a pretty expensive decent limo for the rich and famous who doesn't drive.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
the RR phantom looks much better than the maybach. i think if the maybach price were set to 150k it would be ok. when a sedan price gets to the 300s you might as well get a RR or a bentley. we have owned RRs and bentleys since i was a kid, mercedes will never beat them in luxury. the maybach is also a car that you need to be driven in.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:04 PM

Let's not forget that the RR is also MEANT to be driven in as well. IMO, both are not worth their price - the phantom is not a true RR and the Maybach is begging for an identity, the car follows too closely behind the S class in styling. Again, I'm waiting to see Bentley's reply to the competition.

What hurts the phantom IMO is that BMW has put so much emphasis on the passenger that they lost focus on the driver. Anybody driving a car with suicide doors is automatically assumed to be "for hire". The styling of the phantom is too overt, it lacks the subtleness and elegance of the Seraph, which is the best RR to date.

On top of that, the interior is so bland and outdated, even down to the steering wheel. BMW does not know at all what elegance means.

Last edited by internet_mafia; 06-10-2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
RR is a passenger car and Bentley is a drivers car. the phantom is great, it brings back the spacious comfort of the old RRs. why isnt the phantom a true RR? we had a stretch RR limo before and it was great to sit in. the way the doors are styled is so classy.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:47 PM

It is not a true RR because the brand is being influenced by a mediocre German company that has no business getting involved with a product that represents so much in automobile history.

The original RR designers were robbed from their profession - designing classic cars. Now that the company is in the shaky hands of BMW, who knows where the marque is heading.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
hahaha thats true! cant argue with that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Saw Maybatch today, look cheap for the $$