Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Schumi to retire announce on Sunday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2006 | 06:00 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Schumi to retire announce on Sunday

Michael Schumacher will announce on Sunday that he is going to retire at the end of 2006, according to major German newspaper Bild-Zeitung.

''Schumi turns his back on formula one,'' the headline reads, adding that Ferrari's technical director Ross Brawn is also likely to withdraw after the season.

'Bild' reported that Schumacher, the 37-year-old winner of seven world championships, is to announce the news in the post-race press conference, if he finishes in the top three.

Otherwise, a formal announcement to the world's press is scheduled for 6pm at the Autodromo Nazionale di Monza.

''Before then we are saying nothing,'' Schumacher's manager, Willi Weber, told the 'paper.

I really hope this does not happen....i think i would actualy shed a tear if it does happen.... MS will be missed
Old 09-06-2006 | 06:22 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by egxpimp
MS will be missed
Only if 2008 is a runaway... which it won't because the top guys are all shuffling around. Which makes me think that he'll keep going one more year. I mean, Ferrari/MS would be the top combo by far in 08.

Anyway, I agree with JV when he says MS will be forgotten. OK, so he won't be forgotten, but he'll only be remembered when someone breaks one of his records. He will not reach demi god status.
Old 09-06-2006 | 08:15 AM

cls 55 amg, clk 320
No one can figure out what he has in mind.
Everybody has been speculating for the past saveral months about this decision.

Anyway we will find out on Sunday.

Personally I hope he stays in F1 for as long as possible.
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Nola
He will not reach demi god status.
7 World Championships is way past demi god status. He's a legend and always will be. When you say the words "Formula 1" to any hayseed NASCAR fan the first sentence will always include a reference to that "Shooooomacker" guy. MS is synonymous with F1 and always will be, he'll be remembered like Ayrton Senna.
Old 09-06-2006 | 10:10 AM

cls 55 amg, clk 320
I totally agree that ms is a living legend.

Also we are very fortunate to be witnessing such a driver in our time. It could take decades before we see another driver acheiving half of what ms has done.
Old 09-06-2006 | 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by hatem

Also we are very fortunate to be witnessing such a driver in our time. It could take decades before we see another driver acheiving half of what ms has done.
Decades ? At present Alonso seems to be getting closer to half the number of world champion wins. We are talking years perhaps.
Old 09-06-2006 | 09:49 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
In my mind, Schumacher is a polarizing individual - most people love or hate him, with few in between. As for me, I tend to stay on the hate side....

The thing about his records is that they probably won't be broken. With engine standardization and more emphasis on the "show" it would be harder for anyone to achieve his quantity of successes.
Old 09-07-2006 | 06:59 AM

cls 55 amg, clk 320
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Decades ? At present Alonso seems to be getting closer to half the number of world champion wins. We are talking years perhaps.
3 0r 4 world titles for Alonso, i dont think so.

dont forget there are so many records that MS has acheived, I think it will be very difficult for Alonso to come close to any of them especially the # of races won.
Old 09-07-2006 | 08:37 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by hatem

See I don't think he's a living legend. Some records may never be broken (7 WDC included), but he'll just be "the record holder". The blatant cheating, the phoniness on the podium... those add up.
Old 09-07-2006 | 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
7 World Championships is way past demi god status. He's a legend and always will be. When you say the words "Formula 1" to any hayseed NASCAR fan the first sentence will always include a reference to that "Shooooomacker" guy. MS is synonymous with F1 and always will be, he'll be remembered like Ayrton Senna.

Yeah, i agree. I can't stand the guy one bit, but you have to give credit where it's due. 7 World Championships & countless records in F1, he is arguably the greatest F1/race car driver of all time.
Old 09-07-2006 | 03:08 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
It was only a couple years ago that MS was closing in on Alain Prost's record of 51 GP wins. Now that he has surpassed that record by nearly 200%, he could quit and that would be fine with me, or he could go on and that would be OK, too. Although I would have to wonder why?