Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Idling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weird Idling

Hey guys:

I've got a 2004 C230 Sports Sedan with manual trans.

As of late, when at a stop, my car will idle high, say around 1200 rpm. At first, I'd release the clutch, to put load on the car engine to see wtf was going on, and the RPM would go back down. Now, it'll go up to 1200ish RPM then down to 550ish RPM, and then repeat. But it's not consistant. It's sporadic, but it SEEMS to be getting worse...

I'm not getting any malfunctions on the multifunction display either. My car has 65k on the odometer, and is due for a B service. Inaddition, I've noticed that it's making a hissing sound, but only on when no throttle is applied, such as a situation where I'm not applying throttle, and it doesn't do it all the time. Maybe hissing isn't correct, but it's a cross between sounding like a belt, and something else. Think the two are related?

Also, (not related) I went to go have an alingment done, and was told that my driversside outter tie rod was shot, and needed a new one.

Should I replace BOTH driver and passenger side? About 85% of the miles are legit highway miles, and I take pretty good care of the car. I'm just wondering how much this new engine thingy is going to cost me.....

Any help would be great as I'm sure this car or whatever is wrong with it won't be covered by any warrenty. I've had the car since new.....FYI.

Last edited by Stoppie; 12-26-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:42 PM

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
My guess - mass air sensor - at 65k its about due.Also , when was the last time the fuel filter was done?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Stoppie
I've noticed that it's making a hissing sound, but only on when no throttle is applied,.
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. That would account for the variations in idle RPM and the sound.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Thank you both!! It seems to be the general consensous......either a mass airflow sensor and/or a vacuum issue.

I've not replaced the mass air sensor, nor have I replaced the fuel fitler..but I believe that's done at B service. No?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I don't think two guesses is general consensus and wouldn't run out and by a MAS....or a fuel filter....or anything until you know what the problem really is. No, neither done on A or B service and fuel filter doesn't match the symptoms (but you never know). When does the manual say to replace the fuel filter? I've never, never, had an engine problem caused by a restricted fuel filter on a car (that doesn't mean they don't get clogged or not to replace at recommended intervals). You need to visually and manually inspect all the vacuum hoses/lines, especially where they connect.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
vacuum leak... your check engine light might be just around the corner.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
I don't think two guesses is general consensus and wouldn't run out and by a MAS....or a fuel filter....or anything until you know what the problem really is. No, neither done on A or B service and fuel filter doesn't match the symptoms (but you never know). When does the manual say to replace the fuel filter? I've never, never, had an engine problem caused by a restricted fuel filter on a car (that doesn't mean they don't get clogged or not to replace at recommended intervals). You need to visually and manually inspect all the vacuum hoses/lines, especially where they connect.

My best friend was a Used Car Manager for Mercedes Benz (in Boston) for 13 years. His guess was either/or.