Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280
Air Filter Replacement

Hey Guys,

Thinking of replacing the stock air filters in by '05 C240 Wagon with K&N filters. I put K&N's on my '04 V-8 Explorer and saw an increase of 1 -1.5 MPG. Any reason not to replace the stock filters? Warranty issues?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Its likely this will create a shorter life span for the MAF. I do not believe that it will give you any added benefit other than a lighter wallet. Most all of this stuff is snake oil. Perhaps the reason your other vehicle showed a mileage increase was that your OEM filter was dirty. I also believe that the OEM MB filter does a fine job both in filtering and air flow.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
SDR

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
'99 C43, '12 C63, '13 E350, '14 Sprinter
Originally Posted by sosh
Its likely this will create a shorter life span for the MAF. I do not believe that it will give you any added benefit other than a lighter wallet. Most all of this stuff is snake oil. Perhaps the reason your other vehicle showed a mileage increase was that your OEM filter was dirty. I also believe that the OEM MB filter does a fine job both in filtering and air flow.
Patently false. The MAF problem is caused by overoiling the filter. The increased mileage is not a placebo effect nor the result of replacing a dirty filter with a clean one or you'd see the same increase every time you replace the OEM. I have always used the K&Ns, NEVER had a MAF problem and have measured fuel economy improvements on my gas guzzling Expedition. I am a meticulous, mechanically inclined, **** retentive car owner. You can eat off the engine in my Expy and the filters were regularly replaced prior to the K&N install.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:00 AM

2006 C280
Originally Posted by sosh
Sosh, I respectfully disagree. On my 04 Explorer V-8 (which I traded in for the C240), I was averaging 16 - 16.5 MPG. I drive 25-30,000 miles per year, 75% highway, 25% city. I too am meticulous about the maintenance of my vehicles - all service performed by the dealer at the factory recommended intervals and always Mobil 1 in the crankcase. At approximately 40,000 miles I put in the K&N filter. I saw an almost immediate increase in avg MPG to 17.5 which held until I traded it last week with 73,000 miles on the odo.

The C240 seems to be more complex than my Ford which is why I am being cautious. Probs with the MAF and any warranty aggrivation from MB are my main concerns about doing this. Is there anyone else out there that has successfully done this or are there any certified MB Techs out there that can comment?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:04 AM
SDR

Becase my knee jerk reaction (please accept my apology for that!) didn't make it clear, I do run the K&N on all 3 of the Benz's too. No problems at all.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I use K&N in both my wagons. It does not spoil the Mass Air Flow sensor, improve gas mileage, nor yield faster acceleration. It does clean the air entering the engine better than the stock Mann paper filter. I have 20,000 miles on one car, and have no problems. Hardest part of the install is ripping open the plastic bag they are packed in.

For B service, I put the stock filter in, and let them change it, no worries with warranty for when the MAF does fail.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 AM

2006 C280
Thanks to all for your input. You too Sosh. Different opinions are what these forums are all about. Moviela, I am surprised that you didn't see any increase in fuel effeciency. I am ordering my filters today and will post the results when I have some decent info to offer.

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2006, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I have use K&N on my corvette for 5 years and will switch to K&N on the E500 also. I agree.. if you OVER oil you might have a MAF problem. This is not a filter item but how you service them. I have never had an issue w/ K&N.

Jim
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SDR
Patently false. The MAF problem is caused by overoiling the filter. The increased mileage is not a placebo effect nor the result of replacing a dirty filter with a clean one or you'd see the same increase every time you replace the OEM. I have always used the K&Ns, NEVER had a MAF problem and have measured fuel economy improvements on my gas guzzling Expedition. I am a meticulous, mechanically inclined, **** retentive car owner. You can eat off the engine in my Expy and the filters were regularly replaced prior to the K&N install.
True, but you'll never have an over-oiled OEM filter.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:49 PM
SDR

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
True, but you'll never have an over-oiled OEM filter.
Can't argue that point.
How about this: never drive your car and you never have to replace the air filter