Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 C320 Wagon Transmission ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
WMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320 Wagon Transmission ECU

Do you know where the transmission ECU controller is located?
I have shifting problems and the dealer said that transmission fluide
may be entering into the wire-loom into the controller?
Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 12:14 AM

not sure if this help?

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/169522-pictures-leaky-transmission-connector.html
Old 11-19-2006, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
under passanger carpet under steel plate.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
This link is a picture of the problematic trans connector on the transmission itself.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 PM
WMW

Repair Details

What was your final repair?Did the transmission oil travel up one wire into the controll module or up the loom?
I have checked my connector at the transmission and it seems to be dry?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
The fluid travels up the whole loom- it may dry looking at the connector from the outside, but the only way to know for sure is to take it off the transmission (1/4 turn on the connector lock) and see if fluid runs out of the harness.

What exactly are the shifting problems??
Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
WMW

Question update

I have a hard shift from second to third gear,that it will go into limp-mode.
Then I have to stop and cycle the key to reset the transmission ECU.
I'm getting a stored code P0715(Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction).
It is not always turning on the dash warning lamp,and the transmission is shifting and performing fine.
I have check the transmission harnness at the transmission and it's dry.
There is no oil leaking out of the connector.
I have removed the pan and replaced the filter,and 4 quarts of fluid(MB-synthetic).
I remove exactly 4 quarts when I removed the pan(oil was not burnt,Just slighty brown-black).
Has any one replaced the sensor only?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Speed sensor problems are Common in 722.6 transmissions The speed sensors are part of the conductor plate on top of the valve body.
Changing parts will cost you tons of money, diagnose the cause first.

The best way to check for a signal is with a Lab scope, you can use a DVM set to DC, connect the positive probe to terminal # 35 (input speed sensor) of the TCM and the negative probe to terminal #33 (RPM sensor ground) with the wheel turning you should see a DC voltage of 4 to 8 volts, also check terminal #12 output speed sensor the same way.

No signals use the battery ground to eliminate terminal #33 as a bad grounding point.

If you have the correct output signal, the transmission control module is defective. No signal, you need to test the transmission connector. Post you findings.

Here is some more information I posted on another forum:

For the TCM to work it looks at and needs input signals from the transmission RPM sensors N1 and N 2 as will as wheel and engine RPMs signals. Did you scan ALL modules for codes? If not, you should start there.

The cause of Code P0715, Turbine speed sensor can be electrical or mechanical; the exciter ring for the Turbine speed sensor is located on the front carrier assembly, front window near the bell housing, since you removed the valve body check the ring for any looseness, use a small screw driver and gently try to move it, Compare any movement to the N2 exciter ring, if the ring moves without the attached drum moving you have to replace it, internal.

The N1 and N2 exciter ring sheet metal window for both exciter rings should be centered in the middle of its hole in the case, if not the transmission must be removed. If you have no exciter ring looseness/ movement and are centered in its window.

The N1and N2 sensors are 3 wire Hall Effect sensors, they generate a square wave. It’s best to do electrical tests in real time, with all test components working. Do a pin point test at the TCM; remove the TCM protective cover to access the wire terminals, with the engine running and the rear wheels safely off the ground carefully back probe terminals #33 N2/N3 ground and in gear, a good ground is .01volts anything higher is to much resistance, check and clean all body ground points.

Terminal # 13 sensor voltage supply you should see 4 to 8 volts

Terminal #12 and 35 are N1and N2 out put signal; you should see a square wave with precise time duration, between rising edges to mark off time.

P063 is a 3 / 4 shift solenoid, terminal # 15(4 to 5 ohms)

If you have no exciter ring looseness/ movement, and is centered in its window, and if the square wave output signal generated by the NI/N2 is bad. Change the conductor plate and 3rd to 4th shift solenoid.

Limp mode is when the TCM turns off all power to the solenoids and sets a diagnostic trouble code. The below link will explain why.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...68#post1024068