Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! MBZ C230K or BMW 3-Series?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2002 | 05:27 AM

w202 C220
HELP! MBZ C230K or BMW 3-Series?

Alright guys, I need your help and as much advice/opinions I can get...

I currently own a 2000 C230k Sport, that I've had for about a year now. I love the car, especially with the sport package, and I've slightly dressed it up with a Sport Grille, AMG Monoblocks, and clear corner lenses. The ride is great, the quality of Mercedes automobiles is unbeatable, and the warranty is definitely worth while. The car now has a little over 45,000 miles, and the warranty obviously runs out at 50k.

This is what I'm torn about: I love my car, but for some reason, I don't seem to "have fun in it." I've been contemplating on selling my car or trading it in for a BMW 3-Series Coupe, mostly because I want a 2-door car, a manual transmission, and something that fits my driving desires better. I don't feel the C230k is sporty enough as a 4-door, and the Kompressor is nice, but not as quick as I want it to be. Furthermore, my warranty will end in about 5k miles, and I don't know how reliable my 4-cylinder Benz will be after the 50k mile point. Also, I want to trade-in or sell my car now while the Blue Book value is relatively high. I've kept the car in meticulous condition. I'm worried that in about a year or two, when it does come time to seriously get another car, either the miles will be too high or the car will take a huge hit with depreciation.

My point is, I want to have fun. But would a BMW 3-Series provide that level I'm looking for? In the long run, would my C230k prove to be a better car than the 3-Series, with regards to maintenance, performance, quality, and reliability? One thing is, you do see a lot of BMW 3-Series on the road, but how often do you see a timeless w202 Benz with some nice decorations on it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a total Mercedes-Benz aficionado, especially Mercedes-AMG.

So what should I do, should I opt for the BMW 3-Series Coupe, or stick with my 4-door (family sedan) C230k? Any and all suggestions, advice, and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Faheem
Old 09-18-2002 | 05:30 AM

w202 C220
(Sorry my post is so long, but I've had a lot of questions on my mind that only true German car enthusiasts could answer!)
Old 09-18-2002 | 11:13 AM

2002 c230k
Get a pulley kit and you will have a whole new car (in your eyes) with about 10% more power! The MB supercharged 4 is very reliable long term according to most reports so don't worry too much about the engine fall in apart at 50k.
Old 09-18-2002 | 11:40 AM
Almost a Member!

If you're considering the 3-series coupe, then I would say get it. People pick MB for different reasons and people pick BMW for other reasons. If you're looking for a more sporty experience, I think BMW is probably what you're looking for. Have you driven one? I think you'll be surprised at the difference in steering feel. Try to get an offramp at a good speed. If you like the way it performs, I'd say get it. It's at least worth a test drive if you're considering it!
Old 09-18-2002 | 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
I disagree.. Stay with MB. I sold my M3 and bought the coupe. I love the coupe! Nice ride, more room, no nonsense when it comes to buying the car - try buying an M3 - at list! let alone at a discount - bwa hahaha hahaha

Never even mind thinking about an M5.

Anyhow. I miss the speed - but when it comes down to it, the MB was cheaper, more cushie (features and ride) and decent enough in speed that I don't miss it too much.

I am bummed about the leaked news though.. rumors have MB redoing the coupe into a C180 and C320 coupe. I'd LOVE the C320 engine in there!

P
Old 09-19-2002 | 03:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 M3s can be found be found at MSRP or cheaper in most markets right now. Some dealerships are still asking for markups.

peet -- I'm not sure if your advice is really relevant. You went from a car that was designed to be a performance oriented car that to one that is not at all, so the change in ride comfort is a no brainer. And the additional features the coupe are obvious -- the E36 M3 (I'm assuming your M3 was an E36) was designed back in 1994, so even today's Hyundais have more features. And cheaper is also obvious because you went from a premium car from BMW to the entry level from Mercedes. I'm glad you're happy with your decision, but I don't think it's going to help Faheem out at all.

Faheem -- I think if you're happy with Mercedes and want a more sporty experience, then BMW is a natural choice worth considering. If you want to stay with MB, then I think they have several other cars that are worth considering from MB, but it sounds as though you're looking closer to the BMW market with the experience that you want.
Old 09-19-2002 | 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Yep - that is all correct. If you really want a performance car - and can deal with 2 seats, I HIGHLY recommend the Mcoupe. This car rocks - and in the last year (2 years?) it has the new high output engine that is used in the E46 M3.

I have 3 kids so I couldn't go that route. Too bad too really, because those cars can be bought pretty easily - most people think they look goofy: I like them!

If you need more room though, give a serious look to the C32. It is .1 seconds slower to 60 - and this is with automatic versus stick. If you need stick though, forget the benz.

P
Old 09-19-2002 | 11:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by peet
Yep - that is all correct. If you really want a performance car - and can deal with 2 seats, I HIGHLY recommend the Mcoupe.
Yes, I can recommend that, as well, but then I'd sound biased! I have the newer engine as well and it totally rocks. But know that the older engine (240 hp) is NO slouch and a good driver can lay waste to a poor driver in the faster car. Even in a straight line, it's very close -- I know that from first hand experience.

If anyone's really interested in an M Coupe, drop by at http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/z3-coupe/.
Old 09-19-2002 | 03:26 PM

w202 C220
Believe me guys, if I could afford either an ///AMG model or an M model, I'd take the ///AMG...but right now I can't afford either! 95% of the time, I'm the only one in my car...there's rare occasions when I have to drive my mom or dad anywhere. Furthermore, the only time I actually use my back seat is when my friends and I go out on the weekends, or if I need some quick nookie from a chick who digs the Benz. But otherwise, the 4 doors on my car are virtually useless...I need a car that can get me as close to a sports car as possible, and the 5-speed tranny on a 3-Series coupe, and the racecar-type platform that BMW is built on suits my needs the best. I'll keep you guys posted, but I might just end up modding my C230k for a while..

-Faheem
Old 09-20-2002 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
huh?

Originally posted by Faheem Daddy
... the racecar-type platform that BMW is built on suits my needs the best. -Faheem
Offhand, I can't think of any non-production-based racecars of note that use MacPherson struts on the front end....in fact the C Class and BMW 3 are nearly identical in their drivetrain layout. If the BMW handles better (which depends on the type of road IMO), it's not due to its "racing-derived" suspension design...

BTW, isn't doing the horizontal Hokie-Pokie in a car a little passé these days? Sheesh! Buy a bed
Old 09-21-2002 | 01:42 AM

2000 E430 Desert Silver
I have an E430. My second car will be a BMW 330 Coupe with a 6 speeds. Go for the BM.
Old 09-21-2002 | 04:48 AM

w202 C220
Phungpo:

Thanks man, thanks.

-Faheem
Old 10-03-2002 | 12:28 AM

1998 C43
Faheem:

If you dont mind me asking, what price range are you looking at? I picked up my C43 for a reasonable price, and I am sure there are alot of the C36/C43 hidden treasures out there. That would be a better idea if you wanted to stay MB. Let me tell you, I love my car. Much, much, much better than my C280. Plus I got to keep the body style I really like (W202)!

Anyway, good luck.

DLS