Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline Leaking When I Fill Up The Tank! Please Help Asap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w208
Gasoline Leaking When I Fill Up The Tank! Please Help Asap

hey guys....my check engine light has been going on and off lately and i realized its because when I'm filling up...gasoline is leaking down (dripping about 2-3 inches left of the rear passenger side tire)....it doesnt seem to leak as im driving, idle or while the car is parked.........

anyone know what this could be? please help ASAP....thanks
Old 09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Spilling gasoline while you're filling will not set a check engine light.

Get the code read at Auto Zone.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
assuming you're driving a CLK, there are a few hose connections and a surge tank behind your right rear inner fender liner. the parts involved there need to be part of the sealed fuel system for a few reasons: A) fuel splashing out-bad. and 2) the fuel evap system recovers fuel vapor and sucks it through the engine in laymens terms. since that system is monitored by the M.E. a large leak will turn on your check engine light on. pull the wheel and the fender liner and have a look. don't smoke while doing that. if you cant see anything, take it to a dealer and they can check the system out.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by benz-tech
assuming you're driving a CLK, there are a few hose connections and a surge tank behind your right rear inner fender liner. the parts involved there need to be part of the sealed fuel system for a few reasons: A) fuel splashing out-bad. and 2) the fuel evap system recovers fuel vapor and sucks it through the engine in laymens terms. since that system is monitored by the M.E. a large leak will turn on your check engine light on. pull the wheel and the fender liner and have a look. don't smoke while doing that. if you cant see anything, take it to a dealer and they can check the system out.
thanks im gunna try jacking it up tommorow and trying to see what it mite be....any idea how much this fix may cost if i have to go to the dealer?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
so it turns out that the leak is indeed from the drop...everytime my car rubbed over a bad bump or somethin it was tearin thru the wheelwell and got thru it and eventually to the rubber clamp or whatever that the gas line feeds thru...i just jacked the car and saw it right away..heres a couple pics and videos....anyone know how much that one part would cost and should i do it myself or stealer?

ZOOM in OF THE HOLE:

VIDEO:

Last edited by deyainrdy4ds; 09-23-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 PM

09 E350 ,
fuel leak

clearly after seeing the video ,the filler neck has been damaged from the tire rubbing the inner well.before you get a new filler tube and neck i would suggest fixing the offset of the wheels ,it will happen again if not properly addressed now ,hope this helps,
Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w208
Originally Posted by tcesario
clearly after seeing the video ,the filler neck has been damaged from the tire rubbing the inner well.before you get a new filler tube and neck i would suggest fixing the offset of the wheels ,it will happen again if not properly addressed now ,hope this helps,
you know how much that filler neck would cost and possibly where to purchase from besides the dealer?

part # if possible?

thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 AM

09 E350 ,
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds
you know how much that filler neck would cost and possibly where to purchase from besides the dealer?

part # if possible?

thanks
i would have to say no idea on cost , get the part orderd from your vin # so all the parts are correct,