Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 11:01 PM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
Question transmission fluid

I know this is a silly question, but is there a way to change the transmission fluid in my 99 E430? It's coming up on 47K miles, and wiht my previous cars i've always changed the tranny and differential fluids at 30K. I'm sure there has to be a way, but my stealership won't do it, even when I offered to pay for it????
Old 10-30-2002, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why change it?
Old 10-31-2002, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming they won't change it because it's "good" for 100k or something like that? I've read techs who say they would not trust that. I know I sure wouldn't. On my c280 the drain plug taken off with an allen wrench. I also had to drain the torque converter too. I wonder if yours has the locked transmission dipstick? I've read that you have to buy a dipstick from MB that is a measuring tool. I don't know if that applies to your model or not. Hopefully you'll get the answer you need. Good luck. Dealers are great to deal with aren't they?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:56 PM

See this:

Originally posted by patrick
...Tough it is not prescribed maybe you can change the fluid and the filter every 100000 kms (= ? miles), but in that case I would also recommend to reset all adaption values with the Star Diagnosis laptop.
With the Star Diagnosis laptop there is also a possibility to check the state of the fluid.
A mechanic who is familiar with the system can tell, depending on these values (state, adaptation,...), if the fluid needs to be replaced.
Patrick
at this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...k&pagenumber=3

But remember, the fluid of all electronic MB transmissions should not be changed. This because the transmission ECU "adapts" to changes in wear, fluid and so on.

I certainly would not change the fluid without doing the adaptation procedure!!!!!!!!

Patrick

Last edited by patrick; 10-31-2002 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Question Lifetime Trans Fluid

The Quote (LIFETIME) is a Joke! The Fluid Should Be Changed at 30/60/90k I Have Seen SEVERAL late Electronic Transmissions
Expire at ..Just out of warranty! And Mercedes says Gee Im Sorry your car is OUT of Warranty! And The Crap in the trans Pan Is Scarey!This is a Marketing ploy..Lifetime fluid. same as the FSS System ! (Oil Changes at 15k) Have you heard of the lawsuit on Late MBs With The FSS? Do a search on it!
Well The Lawyer Won ! and Now the Engine has a 150k warranty on oil consuption!also I Think he (The Same Law Firm) Is Working on the Lifetime trans Issue
Yes The trans has a Tamper proof lock on the Dipstick and Yes you will need the MB Dipstick tool to check the fluid level.
Also Make sure you drain the torque converter!
Old 11-01-2002, 02:35 PM

I hate to say it, since I'm not a huge fan of law suites. But they should go after MB for the Head gasket/ wiring harness issue too. That's off topic I know, but I had to say it.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:50 PM

Re: Lifetime Trans Fluid

Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS
The Quote (LIFETIME) is a Joke! The Fluid Should Be Changed at 30/60/90k I Have Seen SEVERAL late Electronic Transmissions
Expire at ..Just out of warranty! And Mercedes says Gee Im Sorry your car is OUT of Warranty! And The Crap in the trans Pan Is Scarey!This is a Marketing ploy..Lifetime fluid. same as the FSS System ! (Oil Changes at 15k) Have you heard of the lawsuit on Late MBs With The FSS? Do a search on it!
Well The Lawyer Won ! and Now the Engine has a 150k warranty on oil consuption!also I Think he (The Same Law Firm) Is Working on the Lifetime trans Issue
Yes The trans has a Tamper proof lock on the Dipstick and Yes you will need the MB Dipstick tool to check the fluid level.
Who are you that you know the fluid should be changed "every 30/60/90k...?
What do you mean with "the crap in the trans pan is scarey"?
I will wait for a technical explanation of these things that I consider until now as "newspaper talk".

I admit that "lifetime" is not really "lifetime", but maybe a few 100k for the transmission fluid.
Mercedes gives "lifetime warranty" on rust, but according to certain laws it is in fact 30 years. That means to say that for legal purposes a car's "lifetime" is considered as maximum 30 years.

I am also quite sure that if you follow all MB prescriptions concerning the FSS, you will not have any oil consumption.
Can you also tell me which oil is used and at which mileage the oil have been changed from those cars that consume oil? Can you also tell me what you consider as "oil consumption"?

Many people also do not know how to check the fluid level (btw, how do you know exact transmission oil temp), so MB protects these people against themselves by sealing the dipstick tube.
And if you do not have any leaks, why should you check the fluid level?

I sure know that there is a lot of misunderstanding about the way the MB electronic transmissions work and should be serviced, even at MB workshops.

I have already made some things clear at this forum:

Since they made those transmissions from 1995 on, we have seen many of them last as long as the whole car itself.
My opinion is that every time a new model comes up it takes some time to attune the software to the needs of the model. For this reason there were some problems in the beginning (control units and valve bodies needed to be replaced) and now we have these problems again with the 211 model (control units are modified and some of them need to be replaced).
The problem with the valve body is that it only can be replaced as a whole unit. It definitly is not that complicated as the "brains" were on former types of transmissions. But if, for example, one of the electric valves on it does not work right the whole body needs to be replaced.
In the beginning we have been fully informed by Mercedes about "known" problems with mechanical parts, but we have not seen many of them in the workshop.
Now, if we have one in the workshop with problems with mechanical parts of the transmission, it is mostly because they neglected to visit a (good) workshop after having oil leakage.
(For example they "feel" the transmission does not shift as usual and sometimes they have seen something on the floor of their garage, but just keep on driving)
I am pretty sure that the mechanical part is quite good, but it is just a pity that the valvebody only can be replaced completely.
Tough it is not prescribed maybe you can change the fluid and the filter every 100000 kms (= ? miles), but in that case I would also recommend to reset all adaption values with the Star Diagnosis laptop and do the adaptation procedure again.
(In fact I would certainly not change the fluid without doing this!)
With the Star Diagnosis laptop there is also a possibility to check the state of the fluid.
A mechanic who is familiar with the system can tell, depending on these values (state, adaptation,...), if the fluid needs to be replaced.
Patrick
Patrick

Last edited by patrick; 11-02-2002 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Fluid Changes

I believe in modern lubricant and machine technology more than I believe in someone who "just feels" it's time to change a fluid. Engineers spend their life's work figuring this stuff out. Why would a company take a chance on harming their product with false statements? Many auto manufacturers have gone to extended transmission fluid replacement...if at all. However, if you abuse/race your car then you should think about shortening the fluid cycles.
No amount of transmission fluid replacement will stop premature wear if you drive with your foot on the floor all the time. If you are concerned about wear then take it easy on the upshifts and reduce the kickdowns.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:49 PM

Patrick,

Is it too much to change my ATF on my 94 c280 every 10k miles? Too ****? What does MB recomend 30k intervals right?
Old 11-01-2002, 07:58 PM

ML
Re: Lifetime Trans Fluid

I didn't take the time to skim throught the responses to Mr. Cummins misinformed opinions yet, but I hope someone has chastised you Mark. These trannies last a very long time and the FSS works. I have no idea where you get your wrong information from. Even in my 89 Nissan A/T, the tranny fluid change is at 60K. The law suit you mentioned is FSS related and Mb is guilty for that. However, since full synthetics started fulltime, there has been no FSS related failure that I have heard of. I changed my oil according to the FSS at 13060 miles (first A service). I had the oil analyzed just to see if it could still protect. There was still enough protection in the oil to carry me several hundred miles, maybe even another 500 miles. The FSS works, period. The tranny fluid had some carborn self lubricating compound in it -that's why it's black. It will likely outlast the car itself, in most normal driving conditions. The general take (including BMW's) is to perform the sevice at 100K - same time as the spark plugs. Man, get your information correct b4 misleading others!!! If you feel like doing the services before FSS requests, that's fine but it's not necessary.

Last edited by Darkmann; 11-01-2002 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2002, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by SLCPUNK
Patrick,

Is it too much to change my ATF on my 94 c280 every 10k miles? Too ****? What does MB recomend 30k intervals right?
C280 1994 = no electronic transmission. This means change fluid and filter every 60000 kms (= ??? miles)/30000 kms when riding in severe conditions.

Patrick
Old 11-02-2002, 08:17 AM

Re: Re: Lifetime Trans Fluid

Originally posted by Darkmann
...The law suit you mentioned is FSS related and Mb is guilty for that. However, since full synthetics started fulltime, there has been no FSS related failure that I have heard of...
Can someone tell me more about that law suit? Please no "newspaper talk" but detailed information.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 11-02-2002, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Lawsuit

We received a letter from MB stating our warranty would be extended for engine damage caused by sludge due to non synthetic oil being used in the engine. Evidently someone sued because MB didn't tell them to use synthetic oil only with their FSS equiped car....and won. I threw away the letter or I'd quote the case.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:31 PM

It has been long ago that I have seen (black) sludge in an engine. I am very curious about which oil that guy used.
I also wonder how long he did without changing the oil, because I am pretty sure that there are plenty of oils that can be used while following the FSS without having any problems.
For as long as it is a type of oil that is on the MB 229.1 oil prescription list.
That list also mentions non-synthetic oils. This is susceptive to many discussions because some oil manufacturers claim certain production processes (e.g. "hydro-crack") to be a sort of synthetic, while others do not.
But if one drives a Mercedes why look for cheaper oils?
Old 11-04-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patrick
[B]Who are you that you know the fluid should be changed "every 30/60/90k...?
What do you mean with "the crap in the trans pan is scarey"?
I will wait for a technical explanation of these things that I consider until now as "newspaper talk".

Who Am I? I Have Over 20 Years of Dealer Experience
on Mercedes and Porsche ..I have seen Several Late Trans
Expire at just past the Factory Warranty..With no help from Mercedes....Yes the Dealer sees this Problem With Late transmissions And yes the Problem is Still there ..As I Have Several friends Still With mercedes That I Stay In contact with!
If You Choose to do the Service By The book, Go Ahead!
I want My car to last Past the warranty!
BTW I Also change my oil @ 3,500 miles with Mobil One !
Better to be safe than Sorry Just My .02
Old 11-04-2002, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Darkmann
I didn't take the time to skim throught the responses to Mr. Cummins misinformed opinions yet, but I hope someone has chastised you Mark. These trannies last a very long time and the FSS works. I have no idea where you get your wrong information from. Even in my 89 Nissan A/T, the tranny fluid change is at 60K. The law suit you mentioned is FSS related and Mb is guilty for that. However, since full synthetics started fulltime, there has been no FSS related failure that I have heard of. I changed my oil according to the FSS at 13060 miles (first A service). I had the oil analyzed just to see if it could still protect. There was still enough protection in the oil to carry me several hundred miles, maybe even another 500 miles. The FSS works, period. The tranny fluid had some carborn self lubricating compound in it -that's why it's black. It will likely outlast the car itself, in most normal driving conditions. The general take (including BMW's) is to perform the sevice at 100K - same time as the spark plugs. Man, get your information correct b4 misleading others!!! If you feel like doing the services before FSS requests, that's fine but it's not necessary.
Hi Darkman! My Information comes First hand I was a MB factory Tech!(Retired)I have seen the trans Expire just out of warranty On Several Cars!But the dealer only sees the bad Ones!If You (think)the trans fluid will last 100k Go for It!Remember this is NOT a Nissan its a Benz..BTW I Have
friends at Several MB dealers that I stay in contact with and the Trans are STILL Having problems!
This Is My Opinion and I was Just letting Others Know What I have Seen (First Hand) from working on them (The Late Transmissions)
Misinformed Opinion I Dont think so!
I also have my engine oil sent out for Inspection Report.To the Lab that Inspects the oil on my Airplane (every 25 hours)With no problems..as of Yet.Just want to be Safe!

After what I have seen I Will Recommed Transmission Fluid Changes !That Is My Opinion!
Old 11-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Larry Sonsini

I too will back up mark on this one... I've had a '97 E420 tranny die on me already (105K miles). Until most recently, all service was according to the manual spec. I also have several other friends in 99-00 202s whos trannies have died. My independent mechanic has also seen numerous examples of dead transmissions due to the "permanent fill ATF."

As a result of my experience, I will be sure to change the ATF and rear diff fluids in the clk on a more reasonable timeline. Listen to what you will, but I know I will do anything within my power to avoid any more $5K transmission jobs.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Larry Sonsini
...My independent mechanic has also seen numerous examples of dead transmissions due to the "permanent fill ATF...
Your "independent" mechanic sure knows ALL about those transmissions!

But can he explain why those transmissions "died" because of the "lifetime" ATF?
"Dead" = ???? What was wrong, broken, etc... and what has it to do with the fluid?
Please answer me, I am curious!
(concrete technical details please)

Patrick
Old 11-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Larry Sonsini

geez...i give up. Okay... I'm wrong, and my experience is all wrong. Leave the original ATF in there "forever" (meaning 100K miles, 30 years, or whatever definition you wish to use).

I am not a forensic MB mechanic, nor do I have the expertise to give you the "concrete technical detail" that you so desire.

I did not post to engage in some internet fight, just to add my experience and assessment of the content of this thread.

Here are the facts as best as I can present them with regards to my dead transmission:

@ 105K miles...driving around at city speeds <50 mph I notice that upon upshifting from 2-3, on occasion, the gear does not engage and revs climb. In reaction, I back off the throttle, and as the gear catches, the car jerks violently. This begins sporadically, but the frequency increases over a two week time frame.

I take the car to the dealership for diagnosis then to my indy to be fixed. I'm sure he'd be happy to furnish you with the technical details and explain his recommendation to change the ATF at 60K mile intervals.

Zim Gwee
Topline Automobile
(650)558-8999
Old 11-05-2002, 12:46 PM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
MARK CUMMINS, So I'd have to ask my MB dealer to change the fluid? Or any good independent mechanic will be able to do it? Do I have to get any parts to replace anything? I'm coming up on the 50K mark, have heard the same about the tranny having problems as the mileage gets higher, and would like to keep this car past the 100K mark.
Thanks!
Old 11-05-2002, 03:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Lifetime Trans Fluid

...My Information comes First hand I was a MB factory Tech!(Retired)...
Can you tell us in which MB factory you worked and what you did please?

Patrick
Old 11-05-2002, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Patrick!,Please REREAD the Post I Quoted you on!I Stated That I Have Over 20Years Of Dealer Experience on MERCEDES and PORSCHE!
The OTHER post Stated That I WasFactory Trained By Mercedes at a Training center (Factory) Here In the USA. Maybe YOU Misunderstood that? But That is My Definition of it.

( By MERCEDES from a MERCEDES center MBUSA ) OK?

Paomien, I Would Find a Good Indy.To do the Trans Service if you Want to have that done !Please make sure that the Indy has The Factory....oooops I Mean the Correct Dipstick Tool to measure the fluid after its changed!
Or You can do the Maintence by the Book(LIFETIME)
Old 11-06-2002, 05:03 PM

Mark,

First you were an "MB factory tech" (see quote), then you just went to an MB training center (once?),...seems that you are diminishing!

If everyone is better off without Mercedes, why did you go to that training? To know more than independants do?

If independants are that good, why do they bring so many cars to the dealer to fix?
Do you want to know how many phonecalls I get a day by independants who got stuck with MB's because of not knowing what they are doing?

If you are really that experienced you should know that there is no one that knows your MB better than the dealer.

Patrick
Old 11-06-2002, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mark,

First you were an "MB factory tech" (see quote), then you just went to an MB training center (once?),...seems that you are diminishing!

If everyone is better off without Mercedes, why did you go to that training? To know more than independants do?

If independants are that good, why do they bring so many cars to the dealer to fix?
Do you want to know how many phonecalls I get a day by independants who got stuck with MB's because of not knowing what they are doing?

If you are really that experienced you should know that there is no one that knows your MB better than the dealer.

Patrick
Patrick HI!
Yes I Posted That I WAS a MB Dealer tech Trained by the Factory That Supports all MB Dealers! I THINK THAT IS CLEAR BY NOW..ok? GREAT MOVE ON!
NO I Dont care how You spend your day on the Phone
Because Its Not the Point of Interest Here!I Was Trying to Help People RE The Transmissions That Puke after warranty and MB wont help them ..ALL I Stated It was MY Opinion From What I Have Seen Working At the Dealer (MB)OK?The ONLY Thing That Is Diminishing Is This Thread From Your Off Subject Matter!

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 11-06-2002 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Patrick HI!
Yes I Posted That I WAS a MB Dealer tech Trained by the Factory That Supports all MB Dealers! I THINK THAT IS CLEAR BY NOW..ok? GREAT MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Posted That The Person/persons Should Go to a Independent MB shop Because of FOOLS Like YOU that THINK the TRANS fluid is LIFETIME ! NO I Dont care how You spend your day on the Phone
Because Its Not the Point of Interest Here!I Was Trying to Help People RE The Transmissions That Puke after warranty and MB wont help them ..ALL I Stated It was MY Opinion From What I Have Seen Working At the Dealer (MB)OK?The ONLY Thing That Is Diminishing Is This Thread From Your Off Subject Matter!
Mark, while you opinions are appreciated here by myself as well as many others, you know better than to attack other members in that way. Please refrain from getting personal people. This is a forum, a place for discussion as well as a place for open round table discussions. This is not the place for personal attacks. I know sometimes we get heated up with things, but please lets keep it civil.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid