Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Smart" (yeah, right!) key starting problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 C240/6
"Smart" (yeah, right!) key starting problems

'01 C240/6.

Increasingly, the car won't start when the key is inserted. Does not activate the dash and does not allow you to turn the key.

Sometimes, if you put the key in and out 10 times, it will work. Sometimes, it takes 20 or more times.

Question: Is this more likely a key or an ignition module problem?

I guess its another trip to the dealer, but I'd like to have some idea before taking it in. (I know what the answer will be when I take it in - after having it 2 days they will say they don't see anything wrong with it and it will all have been a waste of time. BTDT).
Old 11-09-2002, 06:16 PM

How do your other keys work? So you will know if it is key-related or ignition switch module-related without using diagnostic equipment.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by patrick
How do your other keys work? So you will know if it is key-related or ignition switch module-related without using diagnostic equipment.
Yeah, that's the next thing to try when it fails again. We didn't have the spare handy the times when it has failed so far. Now the spare rides in the glovebox to try the next time.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Tried it - it doesn't seem to be the key because when it won't start, neither key will work. Seems unlikely that both keys would die at the same time.

This morning it wouldn't start at all. Called the dealer and they sent a "tech." I told them to NOT keep inserting the key until the car starts - that won't do any good because then it will eventually work and make it harder to diagnose the problem! They said "yeah, yeah."

Of course, the first thing the "tech" does is try to start the dead car a dozen times. And then it finally starts. So great, now it goes to the dealer, with most likely a "could not duplicate the problem" (so therefore couldn't do anything to fix it).

I guess we'll see what the dealer says.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:03 PM

'98 E320
SoCal, I've got the same scenario in a '98 E320. Sounds like our respective cars, although entirely different models, share a common ignition design ..... and a common malaise.
Please do post the outcome of your car's visit to the dealer.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:01 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55
I would have the dealer check out the keys. I have a 99 E55 and the dealer just replaced the original keys for me because there has been a history of complaints similar to yours. I was given a new set of the smaller keys and the keys and car were reprogrammed under warranty. No problems after that.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:15 AM

'98 E320
KTE55, Thank you! Armed w/ your experience, I am better prepared to deal w/ my local MB service rep's blank look and dumbfounded expression; standard response to questions about rear window mechanism failures (had one), harmonic balancer failures (requested a specific check @ last service), and chronic light bulb failures (got 'em).
Love my car, but sometimes when I pull into the service manager's bay, I feel as if I've just driven into another dimension.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
Does your key have batteries in it? Maybe needs replacement?

(am not familiar with your car's key set up) :o
Old 11-17-2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by saintvir
Does your key have batteries in it? Maybe needs replacement?

(am not familiar with your car's key set up) :o
If you can turn the key or not has nothing to do with the batteries.