Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission slip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 e55 wagon
transmission slip?

OK, I haven't owned an automatic transmission since my first car at age 16, a 1970 Plymouth Duster ... so it's been a while

That said, there seems to be some odd behavior with my 'new-to-me' 2006 E55 wagon and I'm hoping it's not 'normal' (which I fear the dealer might tell me if I bring it there).

Two symptoms:

1) When letting off the gas and slowing down, sometimes the transmission seems to stumble badly, causing a jerking motion. It feels like the tranny is tripping over itself in some way, coming out of and back into gear or something, but not actually downshifting from what I can tell. This happens even in manual mode. There is a very distinct jerking sensation when this happens.

2) When transitioning from light or no throttle to significant throttle input, there is occasionally some sort of slipping and jerking again. It's like a hesitation and jerking followed by it finally 'hooking up' and accelerating. Again this doesn't appear to be a downshift issue since it happens even in manual mode ... it's more like the gear itself slips then catches ... and produces a very unpleasant hesitation/jerking before accelerating.

I know those descriptions are pretty bad, but any thoughts? Is this something known with the tranny in the E55? Should I take it in and ask them to check anything in particular, update tranny software, etc?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by joshd
OK, I haven't owned an automatic transmission since my first car at age 16, a 1970 Plymouth Duster ... so it's been a while

That said, there seems to be some odd behavior with my 'new-to-me' 2006 E55 wagon and I'm hoping it's not 'normal' (which I fear the dealer might tell me if I bring it there).

Two symptoms:

1) When letting off the gas and slowing down, sometimes the transmission seems to stumble badly, causing a jerking motion. It feels like the tranny is tripping over itself in some way, coming out of and back into gear or something, but not actually downshifting from what I can tell. This happens even in manual mode. There is a very distinct jerking sensation when this happens.

2) When transitioning from light or no throttle to significant throttle input, there is occasionally some sort of slipping and jerking again. It's like a hesitation and jerking followed by it finally 'hooking up' and accelerating. Again this doesn't appear to be a downshift issue since it happens even in manual mode ... it's more like the gear itself slips then catches ... and produces a very unpleasant hesitation/jerking before accelerating.

I know those descriptions are pretty bad, but any thoughts? Is this something known with the tranny in the E55? Should I take it in and ask them to check anything in particular, update tranny software, etc?

Thanks,
Josh
You should bring it to the dealer. The transmission should be very smooth. It sounds more like a mechanical problem than software.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I agree with the above. Why not have a look at the list of TSBs from Konigstiger at the top of the W211 section if some of those fit to your experience and refer to the TSB at your dealer.

Does it have the 7Gtronic or the 5 speed tranny?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:48 PM

06 e55 wagon
it's the 5-speed. I had a pre-purchase inspection at the local dealership and they found no issues, no codes, and no open campaigns for it.

I can't really find anything in the service thread except maybe this:

Service Campaign 2006020008 MAR06
Inspect transmission pilot bushing at electrohydraulic unit
M / SLK / C / CLK / E / CL / S / SL

but then again the dealer said nothing open for the car, but of course I don't entirely trust them ...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 AM

06 e55 wagon
I'm becoming more convinced that it's slipping, mainly in 2nd. I wonder if this is at all due to prolonged use of comfort mode (which starts you off in 2nd gear) combined with 500+ ft*lbs of torque

So I call the dealer and they gave me the usual crap 'if it gets worse bring it in ...' Well it's bad enough now so I'll be bringing it in ASAP after Christmas. I hope they don't give me too hard of a time, I know there's a problem.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I guess we'll hear what the dealer finds from it. I interpret it would not be old enough for the glycol issue. The advice on for the glycol fix was changed for a radiator change and tranny/oil line flush. Only if customer still complains after the flush, the converter would be changed.

The "no open campaign issues" mainly means recall stuff, but even there the fix may have been done but a second step may apply for a few cars as above.

The 5-speed tranny starts with the first gear independently of the mode, on smaller cars, perhaps E55 is different. 7G-tronic starts with second gear on comfort mode even with smaller engines.

The car does have some power, perhaps it just is a bit too much for the tranny
Old 12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Transmission mounts

Originally Posted by whoover
You should bring it to the dealer. The transmission should be very smooth. It sounds more like a mechanical problem than software.
You might have then check out the engine and transmission mounts. I written about this before and it is a known problem with many MB. Seems the fluids in them age or something - not really sure or qualified to speak about it - but I know of several AMG class cars even relatively new ones that needed them replaced.

If they are in sets I would insist they replace then all unless they can prove to your satisfaction that this is not necessary.

Grane

Last edited by grane; 12-23-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:44 PM

06 e55 wagon
Yeah the 55K 5-speed tranny will start out in second in 'C' mode ... not sure if this becomes a problem over time from the weight and the torque starting off in second but I no longer use that mode much at all.

As predicted, the dealer did nothing. They were 'unable to reproduce.' Of course the second I pull out, the car bucked and hesitated when trying to accelerate in second around 1800-2200 RPMs. Not sure what's going on, but now I have no clue how to proceed since the dealer was useless

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I guess we'll hear what the dealer finds from it.

The 5-speed tranny starts with the first gear independently of the mode, on smaller cars, perhaps E55 is different. 7G-tronic starts with second gear on comfort mode even with smaller engines.

The car does have some power, perhaps it just is a bit too much for the tranny
Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Yeah the 55K 5-speed tranny will start out in second in 'C' mode ... not sure if this becomes a problem over time from the weight and the torque starting off in second but I no longer use that mode much at all.

As predicted, the dealer did nothing. They were 'unable to reproduce.' Of course the second I pull out, the car bucked and hesitated when trying to accelerate in second around 1800-2200 RPMs. Not sure what's going on, but now I have no clue how to proceed since the dealer was useless
Have the service tech or SA drive along with you so you can show them the problem. Then tell them to fix the problem no matter what it takes and be happy to keep their loaner car while you wait.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 AM

06 e55 wagon
Thanks guys, I'm going to have to take the tech and or S/A along for a ride to demonstrate I guess. I was testing it a bit yesterday and I'm leaning towards it being rough supercharger clutch engagement. It most typically happens right after the 1-2 shift when you tip in the throttle after the shift around 1800-2000 RPMs, right where the S/C would be engaging. I think there is some issue with the clutch engagement which causes it to lurch when the S/C first kicks in. I also notice on downshift that it seems to take a good bit of time before the S/C engages and really starts producing power. I mash the throttle, car downshifts, then a second or two later the S/C finally kicks in and the car goes ... not sure if that's normal or a symptom of the same problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Fwiw

Thanks guys, I'm going to have to take the tech and or S/A along for a ride to demonstrate I guess. I was testing it a bit yesterday and I'm leaning towards it being rough supercharger clutch engagement. It most typically happens right after the 1-2 shift when you tip in the throttle after the shift around 1800-2000 RPMs, right where the S/C would be engaging. I think there is some issue with the clutch engagement which causes it to lurch when the S/C first kicks in. I also notice on downshift that it seems to take a good bit of time before the S/C engages and really starts producing power. I mash the throttle, car downshifts, then a second or two later the S/C finally kicks in and the car goes ... not sure if that's normal or a symptom of the same problem.

The SC engagement on my CL55 is very smooth, imperceptable except for the power increase, of course. You maybe on to something.

Grane
Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM

none
the trans may have to be adapted or the valvebody may need the be replaced
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 AM

none
the dealer you go to are stupid cause when i get that problem...the first thing i do is adapted the trans...adapted is take the computer with me and i drive the car let the computer relearn the shift points...and if the car comes back then you try the valvebody
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Besides engine or transmissison mounts mentioned earlier, has anyone considered driveline lash? Perhaps a flex disc or driveline support going bad?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Damn it! I have the exact same problem!!! wtf???
Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Ok,So I decided to bring my car in today and have my dealer take a look at what could the problem be for my slipping-like trans.And now I just got a called back from them,and they have told me there replaceing the radiator,and flushing out the trans fluid.They claim that the trans have been contaminated.I hope this info help any of you guys that are having the same issuses as I am.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by phatisfy
Ok,So I decided to bring my car in today and have my dealer take a look at what could the problem be for my slipping-like trans.And now I just got a called back from them,and they have told me there replaceing the radiator,and flushing out the trans fluid.They claim that the trans have been contaminated.I hope this info help any of you guys that are having the same issuses as I am.
Glycol contamination usually results in permanent damage to the transmission. If you experience any symptoms (like perceptibly rough shifts) be prepared to demand a new transmission.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Glycol contamination usually results in permanent damage to the transmission. If you experience any symptoms (like perceptibly rough shifts) be prepared to demand a new transmission.
The slip-like feels really light,but it just got my attention from reading all these post the members have posted.Do you think what the dealer is doing will correct my problem since they only stated that there were contaminatiion in my trans? I have 2 more months left for my warrenty,and I would like to get everything fixed before the warrenty expires if you know what I mean.Thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by phatisfy
The slip-like feels really light,but it just got my attention from reading all these post the members have posted.Do you think what the dealer is doing will correct my problem since they only stated that there were contaminatiion in my trans? I have 2 more months left for my warrenty,and I would like to get everything fixed before the warrenty expires if you know what I mean.Thanks for the info.
It's possible that they've fixed it, but it's also possible that the transmission was damaged. All you can do is see if the symptoms are completely gone. If not, you will need to be aggressive. When a batch of bad radiators contaminated C32 transmissions, MB replaced lots of transmissions. Do a search and be prepared to make lots of noise if you can still feel any slip after you get it back.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
It's possible that they've fixed it, but it's also possible that the transmission was damaged. All you can do is see if the symptoms are completely gone. If not, you will need to be aggressive. When a batch of bad radiators contaminated C32 transmissions, MB replaced lots of transmissions. Do a search and be prepared to make lots of noise if you can still feel any slip after you get it back.

Yea,I spoke to the service advisor which is really nice.And she said the trans is fine,so if anything else go wrong,I can bring it back and just have the trans fixed since she said herself that the trans is fine(knock on wood).LOL
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Thumbs up

Ok, everything is fixed and the car is runing like new again. Here's a run down on what as replaced/fixed.

-glycolo
-trans fluid
-anti-freeze
-radiator
-ring,general
-b/clnr
-pilot bushings

Again the dealer stated that the problem of the slip-like trans was from contamination in the trans fluid? I hope this is all i need to get fixed before my warrenty is over.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:00 AM

C230 coupe 2003, 2014 GLK350, 2020 GLC63
I had very similar issue with my 2003 c230 as described by joshd and phatisfy, and it turned out to be glycol contamination of the transmission. You can read about it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/191679-transmission-contaminated-coolant.html

Note that the new technical service bulletin for glycol contamination no longer calls for replacement of the transmission, just for radiator and torque converter replacement with trans flush.
Josh D: I had to bring my car to dealer 3 times before they got the fix right....the 3rd time was when i had MB Tech ride with me so I could point out the issue to him... Hope your car gets fixed soon.

Last edited by REX0000; 01-19-2008 at 04:03 AM.