Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags Depoly For No Reason

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 2003 E320 AvantGarde
I have also had a problem with hitting a kerb at suburban speeds on the right side but front, roof and rear side, not front airbags deployed on the opposite side!!! I assume it had something to do with the rolling of the body but remain a bit puzzelled as to why .

I am in process of sourcing replacement airbag units and side door and front seat panels but remain unsure of what replacement control gear is required. The whole system seems to have been activated by seatbelt "stalks" with #211-860-03-69 on them. I understand some controller will be required too? does any expert have the details so I can source exactly the right parts and reset the system thanks.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:14 AM

2005 E55 AMG
maybe we can find a spark for the problem i am having before my bags deploy...guess i should take it in...$$$$$$$....i love it
Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Madspeed, Your SRS light being on means there is a fault that has occoured somewhere along the way in the system. It doesn't necessarily mean that the fault is still present. It could be caused by a number of things(nothing too common on your car).

The SRS light does not mean your airbags are going to suddenly go off. I have seen a few people claim that there airbags suddenly went off, and every one of them has some sort of exterior damage. I would think that at least one of them would have been able to avoid hitting a curb. I am not saying that this have never happened, but I am led to believe that the impact with the curb happened before the airbags went off.

In regards to your SRS light, your best bet would be to take it in and get it diagnosed.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLRICE
Madspeed, Your SRS light being on means there is a fault that has occoured somewhere along the way in the system. It doesn't necessarily mean that the fault is still present. It could be caused by a number of things(nothing too common on your car).

The SRS light does not mean your airbags are going to suddenly go off. I have seen a few people claim that there airbags suddenly went off, and every one of them has some sort of exterior damage. I would think that at least one of them would have been able to avoid hitting a curb. I am not saying that this have never happened, but I am led to believe that the impact with the curb happened before the airbags went off.

In regards to your SRS light, your best bet would be to take it in and get it diagnosed.
You are correct but missed one very important fact. With the SRS lit the airbag system is disabled and the air bags will not deploy in an accident. Thus creating what can be a dangerous situation. Get it fixed ASAP!!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
Originally Posted by sosh
You are correct but missed one very important fact. With the SRS lit the airbag system is disabled and the air bags will not deploy in an accident. Thus creating what can be a dangerous situation. Get it fixed ASAP!!
This is not true. The airbags are not disabled due to a fault. Reason being it would be more dangerous to disable all the airbags, due to a fault with just one of them as opposed to letting the system still funciton and possibly having the one that has a fault not deploy.

However if there were a current malfunction with one of the airbags or etr's or their circuits, that particular airbag would not work. Or, (kind of a stretch) if the crash sensor were faulty and the system was unable to detect an impact the airbags would not deploy. Or, (again kind of a stretch) if the control unit was faulty or there was a problem with power or ground supply the system would not function.

Although, I do agree that this fault could potentially affect the protection of you and/or your passengers, so ASAP is not a bad thing.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

190e
Airbag Nitrogen Charge Goes Off - No Airbag Deployment

Electrical buring smell followed by 200 pound nitrogen aircharge hit to my chest with NO Airbage deployment. There was NO impact to car as electrical buring started when stopped at a red light. Car exaimed by Police and reported with NO exterior impact and steering wheel looks "normal". Multiple failures of electrical module and airbag etc.........Airbag and its "parts" are used in multiple automobiles. NHTSA admits they do not track failed parts across different automobiles - thus they do not know how many other failures like this have happened. NHTSA does not like the flaw in their tracking system identifed - but agrees this is very dangerous. MB is defensive and not willing to disclose "other" similar failures. I'am concerned this violent 200 pound Nitrogen discharge - either has or will potentially cause deadly accidents. I have maintained the chain of custody on both the airbag and electrical module for analysis by the DOT........still waiting.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:41 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
The OP's gone cold mic on this one...not going to admit he got no traction trying to take on M-B for the aftermarket replacements.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:20 AM

190e
Originally Posted by MB_Owner
The OP's gone cold mic on this one...not going to admit he got no traction trying to take on M-B for the aftermarket replacements.
OEM Product - Please reply using (only) factual information to help protect the public; not your personal (100% wrong) deductions based upon one's own prejudices or hidden agenda / interests. The real issue is identifed in my posting - a very dangerous product. The second issue is a product made with parts from several suppliers monitored by a flawed NHTSA system which tracks automobile type, and not product(s) and/or part(s) used across various automobile types which use the same product / part. Example: Fifty (50) same part failures used across 10 automobile types will be reported by the NHTSA as 5 failures in each type of automobile and not 50 failures of the same product - NHTSA data is then 10% correct and 90% wrong.......still better than being 100% wrong; both are not acceptable.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Huh? What did Löwenhart rims have to do with your post, wrb747?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S63 AMG
My issue.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...g-airbags.html
Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 PM

190e
To Vanquish - Reply

See my post for details.....My Drivers side exploded with air hitting my chest and bag not deploying......everything appeared normal after event. I notified Feds and no interest.......very dangerous as it could cause an accident or a person to have a heart attack........