Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premature Service A flag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl
Premature Service A flag

Would anyone know why the message to come in for service A would appear if the car has not yet been owned/driven for a year/13K miles?
No where near either setpoint.

So, should I ignore (since it disappears daily) and wait for 13K miles to go in? Or 12 months whichever is sooner?

Last edited by maxmbenz; 02-02-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Check your cars build date. The service is required 1 year after the oil is first exposed to the products of combustion. I would not ignore it. The warranty requires you to perform service as scheduled.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 PM

ML320
bring it to the dealer they are supposed to re set it before hand over all they need to do is set the time correctly, you can wait while they do this doesn`t take long
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK430
What year is your car? Some cars had an oil quality sensor that contributed to the services due. If the sensor is reading that the oil is dirty and needs changing, then change it (even though it has been less than 13k/1 year).
Old 02-02-2008, 08:05 PM

ML320
08 cars don`t use a oil quality sensor, it is only a level switch, you can wait until you have the car a year or 13000 mile to change your oil
Old 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Almost a Member!

sl
Originally Posted by Moviela
Check your cars build date. The service is required 1 year after the oil is first exposed to the products of combustion. I would not ignore it. The warranty requires you to perform service as scheduled.
But isn't the oil exposed the day the car is first tested in Germany?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

sl
Originally Posted by tbenz
bring it to the dealer they are supposed to re set it before hand over all they need to do is set the time correctly, you can wait while they do this doesn`t take long
You mean they just reset it and put off Service A until I've owned it a year?

I thought they just routinely changed the oil right off even if not 13k mi/1 year reached, for the buck$.
Is this how to tell whether the car-man's a crook or not?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

sl
Originally Posted by tbenz
08 cars don`t use a oil quality sensor, it is only a level switch, you can wait until you have the car a year or 13000 mile to change your oil
Does my 07 have the sensor or the switch?

Honestly, Im confused what the right thing to do is, so I'll play it safe and find a dealership, but where is a good one 100 miles or so west of Boston?
I recall someone here recommending a place nearby last year when I was here, but can't recall the name. Shucks!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by maxmbenz
You mean they just reset it and put off Service A until I've owned it a year?

I thought they just routinely changed the oil right off even if not 13k mi/1 year reached, for the buck$.
Is this how to tell whether the car-man's a crook or not?
yes, the oil additives don`t start breaking down until the vehicle is driven, there is not enough miles put on a vehicle before it is sold, also the most important factor is the mileage
it is MB that tells the dealers to do that, some dealers will change the oil early to be safe not necessarily to rip anyone off. some people want it changed for peace of mind even though it is not necessary.