Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E420 (124)
Question on oil pan gasket

About to replace the gasket for the oil pan. Do you pros out there recommend using some sort of silicon on the gasket for better seal? Do I apply silicon to both sides of gasket and what type of silicon?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post oil pan gasket

Are you talking about the Lower (sub) oil pan?
If so please Use a O.E gaskit ..its a good Idea to use gaskit sealer around the Holes(Where the bolts go thru) on on the oil pan..Just to be safe
Also please use a straight edge on the lower (sub) pan to make sure the pan is straight..If its not straight/level use a Hammer and a Dolly to level the lower oil pan...

Also since you are doing the lower oil pan/gaskit you Might want to replace the Oil level sending unit..they leak on the pass side of the block where the connection comes out..With the lower oil pan off its a 5min job..

good luck
Old 01-08-2003, 05:41 PM

95 E420 (124)
Thanks for the help

What first got me to do the lower oil pan/Gasket is that i was checking my Oil pressure sending unit and found some leaks around the pan/gasket and also the pan was bent to the point where i would like to change it. From what your response, i may consider changing the oil level sending unit (assuming it is different from the pressure sending unit I am planning to replace anyway). I am waiting for the parts to arrive (pan, gasket and pressure unit). I hope this will fix my original problem where my oil gauge dropped to 0 bar while having enough oil in engine. I am planning on testing the pressure sending unit before replacing it to make sure it is the culprit for the gauge problem. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2003, 10:49 AM

95 E420 (124)
Question for Mark

Mark,
I ordered the oil sending unit yesterday. How easy is it to install? See picture. There are two different parts connected with a wire, is the whole assembly located inside the oil pan area? Any detailed instructions on replacing it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully it will be easily accessible for me.
My oil gauge dropped to “0” and stayed there. What all the scenarios that can cause that? I was told to first look at testing and replacing the oil pressure sending unit.

Thanks much for the advice.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Post Oil Level sending unit

The Oil level sending unit is a straight forward replacement when the Sub oil pan is removed. The Sending unit is bolted to the oil pump..Two bolts(DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN)
The Connection is located at the Pass side of the Engine block ..you must remove a clip on the outside of the engine block to push the connector to the inside of the engine..Note you might have to rotate the crankshaft to clear the connector ..The counter weights on the crankshaft are very close to the connector mounting point..Also apply some grease to the O/rings on the connector to help

The Oil pressure sending unit sounds like the problem
To test unplug the wire to the sender and Put a Jumper wire to ground the Wire for the oil pressure sending unit The gauge inside the car should be pegged to max.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:20 AM

95 E420 (124)
Just for clarification:

1) How do I rotate the crankshaft? Manually? Is it loose where I can move it by hand or do i need some tool or special method to do that?

2) When you say the gauge inside the car should be pegged to max, you mean 3bar? There are so much confusion on this and other forums on how the gauge should behave when you ground the wire some folks say the gauge will go to 0 bar, but it sound what you are saying makes more sense.

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2003, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Just for clarification:

Originally posted by Joseph_H
1) How do I rotate the crankshaft? Manually? Is it loose where I can move it by hand or do i need some tool or special method to do that? Turn It Over with a Socket and A Ratchet..On the End of the Crankshaft

2) When you say the gauge inside the car should be pegged to max, you mean 3bar? There are so much confusion on this and other forums on how the gauge should behave when you ground the wire some folks say the gauge will go to 0 bar, but it sound what you are saying makes more sense.

Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2003, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
sending the oil pressure indicator to "0" can be caused by the ground connection of the pressure sensor.