Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT'S MY OPTIONS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 55amg
Angry WHAT'S MY OPTIONS

LOOKS LIKE IM OUT OF LUCK, MY 2000 CLK430 wit just 55,000 JUST LOST ENGINE POWER AND COMPRESSION OVER THE WEEKEND. ITS AT THE MB DEALERSHIP IN VIRGINIA BEACH VA. NOW.
THEY SAID THE I SPUN A MAIN BEARING AND I NEED A WHOLE NEW ENGINE. IS THIS REALLY SO. CAN THIS BE REPLACED. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS. CANT I JUST HAVE THE SECTION OF THE ENGINE REPAIRED WHY THE WHOLE ENGINE ,OR ARE THEY JUST TRYING TOO GET ME FOR MORE AND MORE MONEY.I MEAN NO WARNING LIGHTS OR ANYTHING. SHOULD I JUST LET THE CAR GO AND CALL THE BANK TO COME AND JUNK IT, IM IN NEED FOR SOME ADVICE.
HOW MUCH SHOULDN THIS REPAIR COST. IF I DO GET IT FIXED SHOULD I GO USED OR RE-MAN
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE. IF ANYBODY KNOWS I GOOD GUYIN THE VIRGINIA BEACH AREA PLEASE SEND ME THERE INFO

MIKE

Last edited by MONEY MIKE; 05-28-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Ask for goodwill. Each dealer is given money to do warranty work on cars out of warranty. I think they will work with you, since it has only 55k. It would help if you do have a history with them.

I found out my 87 had goodwill work at 75K, bent a rod.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
It will be difficult if not impossible for you to get goodwill warranty on a 9 year old car with that problem. Spun bearings are usually caused by abuse of the engine by lack of maint and or having a very heavy foot. As for giving it back to the bank you do realize that its your obligation to pay them and that they are not resposible for your vehicle. This would be considered a repo and its likely that they will sue you for the balance due and the repairs and they will win a judgement and will destroy your credit for years. Its things like that that have caused the credit problem in this country. Best bet would be to have the dealer either repair the vehicle or replace the engine with an MB reman. Both are expensive.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Or find one at a junk yard.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 AM

2003 CLK 55amg
I ONLY OWNED DA CAR 4 BOUT 2 YEARS ALWAYS KEPT MAINT UP SINCE I'VE OWNED IT. I HAVE ALL SERVICE REC'S FROM THE TIME I'VE OWNED IT.THE DEALER SAID THAT THIS IS FROM PRIOR TO MY OWNERSHIP YEAH I KNOW, I GOT THE ROD WHEN I BROUGHT IT. THATS HOW THESE LOTS GET RICHER I GUESS. I MEAN I'M NOT GOINIG 2 GO BROKE OVER A CAR AND AS FAR AS CREDIT GOES THAT WHOLE GAME IS CHANGING, OL WELL.
I'M GOING TO GET OUT OF IT I KNOW CAUSE THE PRICE IT WOULD COST TO REPAIR IT I COULD BUY A NOTHER ONE.
WHAT DOES A USED AND RE-MAN ENGINE GO FOR
Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Please undo the all caps. Its considered impolite/screaming.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM

2003 CLK 55amg
DONT KNOW HOW. ITS HOW MY KEYPAD IS SET UP, IM NOT TURNING IN A TERM PAPER OR ANYTHING. ARE WE BEING GRADED ON GRAMMER AND STUFF. IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL IS IT
Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by MONEY MIKE
DONT KNOW HOW. ITS HOW MY KEYPAD IS SET UP, IM NOT TURNING IN A TERM PAPER OR ANYTHING. ARE WE BEING GRADED ON GRAMMER AND STUFF. IT'S NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL IS IT
#1..spinning a main bearing and losing compression aren't related so which is it? How much dissassembly was done to make their determination.? #2 It's only a big deal if you care about how people perceive you....as an inconsiderate dolt who can't figure out how to communicate properly or not. It's hard to read all caps.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by mleskovar
#2 It's only a big deal if you care about how people perceive you....as an inconsiderate dolt who can't figure out how to communicate properly or not. It's hard to read all caps.

good call
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 PM

I can't afford
You know if you hit something on the road, and it took out your oil pan, your insurance will cover it. I don't know if this is what happened here, but just letting you know that that is something the insurance covers.