Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Go - I swam with the key by accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 Bluetec 2009
Keyless Go - I swam with the key by accident

Hi to all, I am new to this forum. I have tried to find some information regarding this issue and nothing came out.

I've been unlucky with my Keyless Go key last weekend, I have swam with the key in a pool and the key is dead now. I have let it dry but no success, still does not operate. In Canada my dealer is charging me $300 to have the key replace.

Is there anything I can do to save my key? How come it’s not water resistant like some watches for the electronic part? Anybody has ever complained about not being water resistant to MB? The key is more expansive than my iPhone.

Thanks for your input because I’ am a little bit frustrated of this accident. I just forgotten it in my swim suit.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by easy_rider
Hi to all, I am new to this forum. I have tried to find some information regarding this issue and nothing came out.

I've been unlucky with my Keyless Go key last weekend, I have swam with the key in a pool and the key is dead now. I have let it dry but no success, still does not operate. In Canada my dealer is charging me $300 to have the key replace.

Is there anything I can do to save my key? How come it’s not water resistant like some watches for the electronic part? Anybody has ever complained about not being water resistant to MB? The key is more expansive than my iPhone.

Thanks for your input because I’ am a little bit frustrated of this accident. I just forgotten it in my swim suit.

I understand. I just replaced the key on my Touareg and the dealer charged me $130 for the key and $115 to program it. Don't you love it. You can by a laptop now for the price of the key.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
try swimming with a laptop
Old 09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Take the battery out ASAP. Wash it in distilled water. Remove it and allow to AIR dry,, this might take a week. Then put in a new battery.

I have cleaned our home after katrina and the computer I am using was under water and it is still on line. I removed it from the flooded house (NEVER POWERED UP). Took the boards out washed them and then flushed in electrical circuit board industrial cleaner. Now 4 years later it is still going. I also saved a color TV the same way. Note this was not salt water only dirty fresh water. I assume you jumped in a pool with chlorine. The chlorine is the bad actor. But a flush might save it if done soon enough.

nothing ventured nothing gained, can't hurt is as it doesn't work anyway.

What is important is it must AIR dry, don't use hair dryer, light bulbs etc. Just air dry.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I have cleaned our home after katrina and the computer I am using was under water and it is still on line. I removed it from the flooded house (NEVER POWERED UP). Took the boards out washed them and then flushed in electrical circuit board industrial cleaner. Now 4 years later it is still going. I also saved a color TV the same way.
Wait, you have a computer that still works good after 4 plus years
Old 09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Gullwing
Wait, you have a computer that still works good after 4 plus years

Actually I bought it in 2004 and bought a high end computer. It was under water except for the top 12" in Katrina as it was on top of a desk and the home had 32" of water. The hard drive did not go under but mother board and all the other cards also. Power supply is on top of the hard drive. I had some exciting moments getting it going and finally got it up and running. Given I had no $$ due to rebuilding the home I really need the computer because there was no local phone service for 3 months. Email was my only communication to contractors.

But to answer your question yes.

I bought a high speed best I could get at the time and have kept updating.

My next big one is Windows 7 on the same mother board, Probably a new hard drive and current one as slave.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
after water intrusion the worst thing you can do (but it's human nature and
almost always happens) is to press the buttons to 'see if it works. bad bad
move.

you all know that water conducts electricity. by pressing the buttons, you
energize the circuitry and...zap zap....short circuiting has occured.

vettdvr offers solid suggestion. sadly, this is almost always read after the
damage has been done. still, go through the motions anyway. you may bet
lucky.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2009, 04:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1987 190E 2.3
If your car is still under warranty you might be able to clean up the key so that it doesn't look like it went swimming. Just take the car in to the deal saying the key doesn't work. They will try batteries and if that doesn't work... they should replace it as long as they don't know what happened or find out by looking what happened.

Originally Posted by vettdvr

But to answer your question yes.
Cool
Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
spray the electronics parts with WD40 and let it dry.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
i would *not* recommend that anyone use WD40 as a solution to circuitry
immersed in water. it wasn't designed for this purpose, introduces a host
of other problems which can be impediments to efficient and proper
electronic operation.....notwithstanding that there are other products out
there which do not leave a residue on the circuit board.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by raymond g-
The ONLY CB cleaner I use other than water to flush (power off in a emergency situation) is exclusively designed for CB cleaning. My computer that went under water (not salt water) was allowed to dry for 30 days in a dehumidified room. Then each board was pulled and sprayed and lightly brushed with very soft brush, then flushed again with industrial CB cleaner. This material was exclusively designed for this purpose. The only problem I had was mother board battery which was almost totally dead but did allow the computer to start up. I managed to get the mother board battery corrosion and all to last for over a year before I replaced it.

I have never used WD 40 on electronic circuits, but I have used it on mechanical switches that were under water. I also use corrosion block for marine electronics on corroded connectors but it is $$$$$.

My computer was well over $2000 in 2004 when I bought it so I really needed to save it because in 2005 Katrina my ins paid $200 for a damages to the computer. Granted had I hired someone to do what I did it would have been beyond economic repair but no way could I replace it for $200.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
Originally Posted by raymond g-
My experiences had been different. Twice while running my r/c boats 2 controls who partially immerse in the beach(salt water), control stop working, had no other choice to try anyother stuff available at that moment, did spray WD40 waited until dried and control start working again, that was over 25 years ago.

You probably right but life goes on when you learn from past experiences.

If the board is not longer working what else he will loose just sparying with WD40?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Rick SL55
My experiences had been different. Twice while running my r/c boats 2 controls who partially immerse in the beach(salt water), control stop working, had no other choice to try anyother stuff available at that moment, did spray WD40 waited until dried and control start working again, that was over 25 years ago.

You probably right but life goes on when you learn from past experiences.

If the board is not longer working what else he will loose just sparying with WD40?
I do know wd40 works on switches,, but I have never used it on a CB directly. Sounds like it might be an option if I put my RC plane in the water.
Attached Thumbnails Keyless Go - I swam with the key by accident-herk-builder-gulfport-11-06.jpg  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 PM

suby
why use wd40 when for the same price u can buy eletrical clean??
Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 AM

99C43 05C55 06slk55
aSLR key is $1300.00
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by AMGC43C55
aSLR key is $1300.00

At that price I would assume the circuit and case is made of gold to help the price of gold on the market.