Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 E320 front supension SQUEAKING HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Unhappy 2003 E320 front supension SQUEAKING HELP !!!

I have a 2003 E320 not 4matic and it has this terrible squeaking noise from the front driver side suspension when Im going over bumps or into drive ways has anyone had this problem before PLEASE HELP I want to try and fix myself
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM

02 CLK430
Sounds like it may be a lower ball joint type noise. Maybe crawl under and take a peak at the left lower all joint and see if the boot is torn.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:57 AM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by RUIANTION FAN
Sounds like it may be a lower ball joint type noise. Maybe crawl under and take a peak at the left lower all joint and see if the boot is torn.
I've replaced the left front control arm and ball joint and the ball joint on it was damaged but the noise came back could it be something else like the sway bar control arm ?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 AM

02 CLK430
Ok, so the control arm was replaced(the arm where the shock mounts to)? How does the torque arm(transverse arm) joint look and how does the bushing look? Sway bar busing could be a possibility but it is conveniantly located between the subframe and the frame rails, so its not a fun thing to try and replace while a car is on jack stands. Does the noise mainly happen on the downward motion or when the car is comming back up from the shock travel?

Last edited by Ruination Fan; 07-12-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added more
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 AM

2003 E320
Ok, so the control arm was replaced(the arm where the shock mounts to)? How does the torque arm(transverse arm) joint look and how does the bushing look? Sway bar busing could be a possibility but it is conveniantly located between the subframe and the frame rails, so its not a fun thing to try and replace while a car is on jack stands. Does the noise mainly happen on the downward motion or when the car is comming back up from the shock travel?
I replaced the front control arm that connects to the front of the car and the ball joint side connects to where the steering is, I think what you are saying is the other arm where the strut and sway bar link is hooked up too ( sorry I get comfused on which is which LOL ) but I did check all the other joint and bushes and they all look good I get the squeaking noise when I turn the wheel in any direction or any up and down motion, I'm thinking it might be the sway bar link what do you think? The link that hooks up to the end of the sway bar and the lower control arm where the strut is also hooked up.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 AM

02 CLK430
Ok so you replaced the torque strut (transverse link). So i still think the lower control arm ball joint is still a good canidate. If you can get a pry bar between the torque arm mounting surface and the loower ball joint mounting surface on the control arm (part where upper portion of ball joint passes through control arm and the nut is tightned down to). And the pry side to side and see if you can replicate the noise. Try not to hit the boots.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM

2003 E320
Ok so you replaced the torque strut (transverse link). So i still think the lower control arm ball joint is still a good canidate. If you can get a pry bar between the torque arm mounting surface and the loower ball joint mounting surface on the control arm (part where upper portion of ball joint passes through control arm and the nut is tightned down to). And the pry side to side and see if you can replicate the noise. Try not to hit the boots.
ok i'll give that a try where talking about the ball joint that the whole hub pivots on so the wheel can turn left to right right lol. should I try it with the wheel on the ground or up on a jack? my problem is everytime I jack this sucker up the squeaking will totally go away and I tried to pry and move the joints before but got no sound and when I would put the car back down on the ground all the noise would be completely gone making me think that I fixed it the last time when I replaced the control arm but the noise would come back after driving for about an hour and the noise also goes away when its raining but when its there it is very noisy and anoying any little movement of the steering wheel or suspension it will start squeaking and you can here it in the car ill give it another try today and let you know what happens hope I can fix this so I can post a solution to help other people out.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM

02 CLK430
Yea, the one that connects the lower control arm (one with shock mounted to it) to the hub assembly. You can also try getting a wd40 straw into the boot by sliding the boot down carefully and slide the straw in and squirt a bit in there and see if the noise goes away any.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by Ruination Fan
Yea, the one that connects the lower control arm (one with shock mounted to it) to the hub assembly. You can also try getting a wd40 straw into the boot by sliding the boot down carefully and slide the straw in and squirt a bit in there and see if the noise goes away any.
ok I went to my dads house to use his lift and I'm 100% sure I pin pointed the problem it was easyer to pry the joints & bushes and see where the noise was coming from with the wheel on the car with full load on the suspension because like I said everytime I would jack the car up and do all the same tests all the noise would be gone without the load on the suspension, basicaly you where right LOL the main ball joint that hooks up to the main hub or knuckle and the small ball joint that hooks up to the sway bar link was the problem. I pryed the main ball joint and it made noise right away but the smaller ball joint that hooks up the the sway bar link made noise only when turning the wheel left or right so I guess if anyone else has this same problem those are the two parts you would probally look at right away or just do the same pry bar test on all the joints to pin point where it is coming from but like I said mine only made noise with load on the suspension and I could'nt duplicate the noise while the car was jacked up. Two ball joints total $98.00 and around $20.00 to $30.00 to get ball joints pressed I probally could of gotton the parts cheaper if I used aftermarket parts but I used original parts.

Thanks Again Dean
Hope this can help other people
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM

02 CLK430
Glad you got it fixed.