Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left window open, irrigation flooded gear shift!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Unhappy Left window open, irrigation flooded gear shift!!

I am having a complete heart attack. Freak incident: I parked my car in a different spot than usual, left the window down all night and early this morning, while I was sleeping, the irrigation system came on and flooded the front seats and the gear shift for about 15 minutes (the length of the cycle on that zone).

My car will not go into Drive or any other gear. The "Check Engine" light is on too. UGH! I've tried it for a couple of hours now and nothing.

If I've ruined my car because of a stupid mistake, my husband's going to freak! I'm thinking before getting it towed to the mechanic, wait 24 hrs and see if it will "dry out" over night and start working again.

If not, I'm assuming this is a very costly accident. What could it be (short circuit-type situation) and would something need to be entirely replaced. $$$$ or it it not even fixable??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any past experience would be appreciated including how much it cost to repair a similar disaster.

2004, ML350

Maria
Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
First, disconnect the battery and stop trying to start the car. Attempting to start it can cause more damage. Soak up as much water as you can with towels. Pick up this stuff called "damp rid" from the hardware store, you'll need a couple of the larger buckets. These will lower the humidity so hopefully mold and mildew won't form. After that's done call your insurance company and report it. There's nothing you can do yourself to fix the electrical issues, and trust me, it won't just dry out. Water is pooled everywhere and the interior will probably need to be stripped and carpet pulled to get it completely dry. The sooner they get started on it the better - once mold and mildew start to form you're probably going to have issues forever.

Last edited by clkwork; 08-18-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM

SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
He's gonna be mad!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 PM

ML350
Oh don't worry Fred, he's not happy at all

Thanks vms for the response and advice. I'm thinking that there must be some kind of short circuit and an entire unit will need to be replaced. The power windows and other features are working still.

The driver's seat was wet and the gear shift had a puddling but the carpet is remarkably dry as is most everything else. I think the stream from the sprinkler head hit the gear shift dead on - for 15 minutes.

I don't know if I should even bother calling insurance - "Hi, Amica, it's Stupid :, I left my window down..."

It's getting towed tomorrow morning to the repair shop... and we'll see what damage I've caused.

PS Do you think I should get the damp rid even though it's going in the shop in the morn? And if so, where exactly do I put this stuff?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by TrueTulip
Oh don't worry Fred, he's not happy at all

Thanks vms for the response and advice. I'm thinking that there must be some kind of short circuit and an entire unit will need to be replaced. The power windows and other features are working still.

The driver's seat was wet and the gear shift had a puddling but the carpet is remarkably dry as is most everything else. I think the stream from the sprinkler head hit the gear shift dead on - for 15 minutes.

I don't know if I should even bother calling insurance - "Hi, Amica, it's Stupid :, I left my window down..."

It's getting towed tomorrow morning to the repair shop... and we'll see what damage I've caused.

PS Do you think I should get the damp rid even though it's going in the shop in the morn? And if so, where exactly do I put this stuff?
No problem. Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone at some point. You should probably get the Damp Rid anyway just to be safe. You want the big one that comes in a 1-gallon size, not the ones made for closets. Basically you open the seal and put it anywhere in the vehicle where it won't tip over. Over time it will absorb any moisture in the air and the bucket will fill up with water. But whatever you do don't buy the ones meant to hang in closets and put it in contact with leather - it will dry it out and cause cracking. The bucket version is best.

Hopefully the damage isn't too bad... good luck!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM

ML350
Great - on my way to Home Depot for a bucket. Thanks again
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I call on this one. Who leaves their vehicle in their driveway over night with the windows down AND forgets that a sprinkler system is in place.

Sounds more like someone spilled something and is making up excuses.

Interestingly they also just signed up today and posted this story. Nah, I don't believe it one bit.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 PM

ML350
Ok... why on earth would I make up a story like this? Seriously. I have other things to do online or elsewhere besides looking for some assistance on a situation that occured with my car.

First of all, I've been to this site before. As a MB owner I've perused the threads many times since I've owned the car and it's good to know that there is an on line resource especially when you encounter a problem.

What, there can't be a first day for someone to sign up and post? You had to post here for the first time at some point. I guarantee that most of the users here joined for the first time only when they had an issue and needed help.

Secondly, people do stupid things. I admit I left the windows down overnight. People do that all the time. You've never forgotten to put your windows up? It's apparent that since there was a bit of water in the car that was in the line of fire of the sprinkler system. Ok, I wasn't thinking and I admit my error. Believe me, I'm still kicking myself. I don't know where you live, but it's perfectly acceptable here to leave your car in the driveway with the windows down and not worry about it being stolen - or some stranger spilling a Big Gulp down the gear shift.

Why does it matter to you - enough to make a response - that I posted a vehicle issue? What would I gain from posting my story here other than to get some advice. Why would you take the time to say that you think my post is BS? And how is this being my first post a dead giveaway (in your eyes) that the story is not true. Believe me, if I had extra time on my hands, I could certainly find something much better to do than make up vehicle repair issues on a MB forum.

Congrats, you accomplished your goal but now I realize I truly am a fool for taking more than a moment to even respond to you ridiculous post. Oh, that's right people like me do dumb things. Not you, of course.

- Stupid FEMALE MB SUV owner
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Ha! You tell him!

Good luck with the repair.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM

ML350
Mechanic checked things out this morning and called back to say the Selector Control Module needs to be replaced to fix the shifter assembly.

I ok'd the repair and should have a final cost tomorrow when the parts comes in and the work is complete; estimate for parts and labor $900

I'll get over it... eventually
Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Just make sure you air out the car very well. Pull the carpet up even, and pull it out so it dries out. You don't want mold to start growing!