Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No MBUSA support for AMG vehicles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 04:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55; Ferrari TR: 325Xi: (3) 32 Ford Hot rods
No MBUSA support for AMG vehicles?

I had a very enlightenting conversation with the folks at the MBUSA headquartes in Montvale, NJ over the last few days.

Based on what I was told both by Customer Service and Tech Support, MB USA has no method of communication with AMG. This begs the question: If AMG is the designer, manufacturer and/or modifyer of the major components (engine, trans, suspension, brakes, computer software, etc) and there are technical problems beyond the knowledge of the US tech support group with an AMG model, where do the US dealers turn to for help?

The conversations I has with these folks is that they regard AMG as an after market supplier and thus do not communicate and have no need to communicate with AMG in Germany!!!

When asked specifically how technical problems are resolved the answer is the same - we do not have any method of communicating with AMG.

Does this sound right to anyone?

Does anyone out there have a "connection" at MBUSA to clarify this inability to communicate with AMG?

And yes I know all about the manuals, the training, etc, etc, but hey, even NASA can't foresee every failure! I'm sure we all have stories about dealers inability to resolve problems.

Someone enlighten me - PLEASE!!!!
Old 07-23-2003, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6

I'd say that this would only apply to Mercedes vehicles modified by AMG prior to them being purchased by MB. Any MB vehicle carrying the AMG emblem since then is 100% Mercedes Benz even if they get built across the stret from the factory. MB/DC will stand behind them 100% for repairs and service.

If you are asking about details on AMG cars, options and parts, I've found that generally the dealers and even CS hasn't got a clue. Try asking on the AMG Owners Club forum.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Almost a Member!

MB/DC will stand behind them 100% for repairs and service.
That is exactly the point. In the US, we rely on MBUSA to provide the necessary support (repairs and service) for all vehicles imported to the US by MB. It is MBUSA, those who we depend upon, who states that they have no ability to communicate with AMG. Thus, what level of technical support can one expect on an AMG model that is purchased in the US, sold by a Mercedes dealership and imported by MBUSA?

To me this raises a lot of questions as to what kind of technical/service advice have the dealers been getting in the US when MBUSA can't (won't?) communicate with AMG? Not to mention their AMG "aftermarket" attitude.

Remember I was talking about technical support on AMG models in the US via MBUSA.

By the way, I tryed contacting MB GMBH about this and they reffered it all back to MBUSA
Old 07-23-2003, 05:35 PM

I will try to translate an excerpt from a German book from DCAG about the AMG models, meant for after-sales training:

"...for every AMG-product are the same service, warranty, back-up, etc...guaranteed..."

In Europe no problem, why with MBUSA?
Old 07-23-2003, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
I'm curious. Do you have a specific problem or are you worried about a potential service issue down the road with an AMG car? Who have you talked to at MBUSA, a phone phlunky or someone who knows what they are talking about?

Personally, I have had my AMG cars in for repairs that required assistance from AMG in Germany. There was never an issue like you describe.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Almost a Member!

In Europe no problem, why with MBUSA?
I can only guess that the proximity to AMG, and the necessary relationship fosters a different attitude.

I was just reading another thread, which has some relavance here. That is that the mechanics pride gets in the way with asking for factory help. Although I don't think that this is the overall case, the fact that it even exists says something about getting assistance (or the lack thereof) from AMG.

Most organizations foster the team approach, everyone is responsible to make the customer happy. Consistency across the world is the business model. I have sensed in my conversations/readings that in each country the business is run differently. Decentralization and local P&L responsiblity is not an uncommon business practice. However, unless MB GMBH mandates a change it will continue - each country for itself.

I am not privy to MB's world wide business plan, but it sure has that decentralization feeling.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I called MBUSA last week to ask them if they knew my older 560SEL has a VSS feature. The guy on the line wasn't sure what it was and had to ask someone. He came back later and said 'No, it does not." OKay. Then I checked the Alpine nav manual and see if my car does not has the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), the map would not work and it would not show where I am. Anyway, I drove the car out and check, everything is working accordingly. No problem with the street names and my location and speed I was going. Do the people in MBUSA knew what they telling us? My guess is 60% or less.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Ferrariman, MB own AMG.....

One of the key milestones in the history of AMG came in 1990, with the signing of the cooperation agreement with Daimler-Benz AG. Under the terms of the deal, AMG products could now be sold at Mercedes-Benz sales and service outlets and dealers, giving the brand a great deal more credibility.
then

On 1 January 1999, H.W. Aufrecht handed over a majority shareholding in AMG and the company was incorporated into DaimlerChrysler AG. This allowed the newly founded Mercedes-AMG GmbH to take advantage of the Group?s resources and global status.
You should call them back and ask them is they know MB own ///AMG.

NP
Old 07-24-2003, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by E55AMG99
...Who have you talked to at MBUSA, a phone phlunky or someone who knows what they are talking about?...
I think this explains a lot.

Almost everyday I hear stories about people who spoke with people "from MB", who called etc...

If it is real "BS" what they are telling (most of the time) I always ask who they have been talking with.

In almost all cases they dialled a wrong number and spoke with someone who does not know anything about it but pretends he does.

I have never heared of someone who called MB Belgium for technical questions and talked to the right guy.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:53 AM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
MBUSA Cust Serv Phone

My experience with calling the MBUSA Toll Free number is that if you call during regular business hours for their NJ office, you will speak to someone who is a MB employee who usually is very knowledgeable (usuall I get the woman who does their pre-recorded messages with the pleasent accent). If you call after hours, they usuall don't have a clue about MB, which leads me to think it is farmed out to an off-site call center, or is their second string people. If by chance you have been calling outside of 9-5 Eastern Standad Time (or DST), try calling back when the first string is there.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Almost a Member!

try calling back when the first string is there.
I agree with the several comments that were made similar to this quote.

However, after several telephone conversations with those "flunky's" telling me similar stories I decided to go up the ladder. The converation I am reffering to was with the senior person in their Technical Support group. I got to this person from the US Manager of Customer Service after demanding to speak with someone who "knew something about cars". I got to the Customer Service Manager by asking who do I speak with when one needs to complain about the treatment from Customer Service!

Keep in mind that I live only a few miles from MBUSA HQ. All calls where during their normal business hours...and... I had already heard the same story from each of the two (yes, only 2) people that represent the Technical Support group at HQ and several Customer Service representatives.

I ask again, if Technical Support and Customer Service at MBUSA HQ cannot (will not?) contact AMG what confidence could one have in the service we will recieve for those who own AMG units?

You should call them back and ask them is they know MB own ///AMG.
The answer is Yes, they do know, but that's when I get that answer (again from the Tech staff) that they consider AMG an "aftermarket supplier" and MBUSA "does not support" aftermarket suppliers. It was ablsolutely incredulous to me!! Customer Service considers AMG not part of Mercedes, but a seperate company owned by DC!!crazy:

I have had my AMG cars in for repairs that required assistance from AMG in Germany
Maybe you could shed some light on this. How did they contact AMG? Who at MBUSA, or the dealer, was able to contact AMG?

Last edited by Ferrariman; 07-24-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Ferrariman
...I ask again, if Technical Support and Customer Service at MBUSA HQ cannot (will not?) contact AMG what confidence could one have in the service we will recieve for those who own AMG units?
But do you have a technical problem they should contact AMG for? AMG is just a sort of production unit. I think there are few things that are typically or only AMG-related.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:38 AM

Several times a year we have troubleshooting seminars with all the latest info from DCAG, we are also connected with DCAG to get the latest workshop information and we are using the WIS-system for the 7th year now. In all this information AMG-models are treated just the same way as other models. Warranty just the same story. AMG is just a part of DCAG.
Maybe not for MBUSA?

I just do not understand this way of thinking. Maybe they can say they do not want to contact the SL development or production plant too?

The person on the telefone must be wrong.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Almost a Member!

But do you have a technical problem they should contact AMG for?
I have an '04 CLK55 that was just manufactured and is in the US now. I am concerned about the service. If there is a technical problem beyond the capabilities of MBUSA how does this get fixed?

I consider this a legitimate concern if MBUSA cannot contact the designer, manufacturer/modifier of the major components of the car - engine. trans, suspension, brakes, computer sofware, etc?

If this is true it should be revealed in their literature and service information "we have no contact with AMG in the event of service issues beyond MBUSA's capability". If it is not true, then someone out there tell me/show me where MBUSA has been in contact with AMG.

This is the highest priced car in this class (at least in the US). Should I not expect support from AMG if needed?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:19 AM

E55
Well, you can talk to MB in Germany but it's really difficult. I had a problem with the ABC on my CL and after several attempts to get info from MB in the USA to resolve the problem I asked that they call Germany. I was told that they were "in touch" with Germany and that they had "already spoken" to the engineers and there was nothing to be done. I wanted to talk to them myself. After several letters and phone calls to the home office in Stuttgart I was actually put in touch with the head of the ABC program.

The engineers were very helpfule in explaining the design perameters of the car and explained everything to my satisfaction.

I got the definite impression that all of the German members of MB were genuinmely enthused and interested in what I had to say and wanted me to be happy with the car.

As for MBUSA - they are full of s..t. Theyt came on with their arrogant corporate attitude and were not interested in going the extra mile. They have a series of preprogrammed responses they stick to. Reminded me of what car dealers were like in the '70s - slimy.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Almost a Member!

By the way, I tryed contacting MB GMBH about this and they reffered it all back to MBUSA

Note the above quote.

I am glad that I am not the only one who has this experience with MBUSA.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Ferrariman

Maybe you could shed some light on this. How did they contact AMG? Who at MBUSA, or the dealer, was able to contact AMG?
Specificly, I don't know who was contacted or how they did it (personally don't care) but they did fix my problem without issue.

I own one of the first E55 AMG models in the US and true to new model form, it had a few issues. Most of the bugs were dealt with immediately by the dealer (Smythe) but one problem was new and never before seen on any car and required them to contact MB. They never heard of the problem either and suggested a course of action which included careful documentation and reproduction methods. Once they had a way to duplicate it, they attempted to do so on other AMG cars, presumably at the factory. They could not replicate the problem in any car but mine. With my permission, they systematically began replacing items until they solved the problem.

The whole time, I was kept in the loop as to the nature of the repair and why they thought it would solve the problem. They also were very gracious and apreciative for letting them work out a solution on my car since 2 others just reported the same problem.

It sounds to me like you are worried about nothing. After all, there are thousands of AMG car owners in the US since 1999 that haven't had the type of problem you describe.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:03 PM

E55AMG99,

Which problem did you have? Maybe you can let me know it trough PM.

Maybe it is something that was not known by MBUSA, but was known by DCAG (or was an issue at a troubleshooting seminar overhere,...)
Old 07-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

This thread is also at AMG Forum:

http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board...1285#post11285

Last edited by Ferrariman; 07-26-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:51 PM

2008 CLK63 AMG BS
Ferrariman:
I too have had no success with an AMG specific problem. In my case the rear suspension of my CLK55 "wallows" during high performance turns.
The dealer said all was well under normal conditions but did not test it under high performance conditions - where the problem happens! The dealer did not acknowledge where/when the problem happens.
I contacted the Customer Assistance Center (Grillo) in NJ and they said the dealer would contact me - the dealer never did. The CAC's conclusion: All is well per the dealer. But still no acknowledgement of where/when the problem happens.
I contacted MBUSA's General Manager of Passenger Cars (Glaser) and received no response at all! Nothing! Clearly not a consumer driven company.
During this time I also contacted my Service Representative (Francis) who said that they have no known way of communicating with AMG. It's MBUSA or nothing.
I contacted my salesman (Oster) who said he would take care of it. That was a month ago and still no word. The salesman seems to understand the problem but has been unsuccessful in finding a solution.
I find all of this runaround intolerable. Ignorance, or stonewalling, is not a solution but it is a market killer. At this point I'll not buy another AMG vehicle (market killed, qed).
There is more to this but, perhaps, it should be taken off line. Feel free to email me directly.
Thanks,
Lance
Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Almost a Member!

During this time I also contacted my Service Representative (Francis) who said that they have no known way of communicating with AMG. It's MBUSA or nothing.
Well, this collaborates what I was told!

So? As MB\\\AMG owners what are the options?

- A massive call in?
- Flood thier email site with complaints about this "policy"?

Do we stand by and let some incapable, stubborn "mechanic" at MBUSA, who may be too proud to pick up the phone and call AMG and say "I don't know?", screw up our cars?

Some suggestions?

Lance, thanks for the perfect example!! Let me know your thoughts - if you want send via personal email.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 PM
"G"
Banned

2005 e55 amg
Have you ever seen the amg mitsubishi galant? Lol they are rare in japan. Try asking about that
Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
AMG is a wholly-owned division of Mercedes.

Any AMGs exported to USA prior to this happening were NOT imported by MBUSA.

At the AMG facility--I've visited it--all that happens is handbuilding of engines and then across the street customizing of already-sold Mercedes.

AMG Mercedes are otherwise built on same assembly lines as other models.

Last edited by lkchris; 03-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
A five-year-old thread comes to life, as if from the lab of Dr. Frankenstein! Getting ready for summer reruns?