Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to fix steering wheel heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
how to fix steering wheel heater

faulty steering wheel heater

My steering wheel heater does not work. The car has been at the dealer for 5 days. They don't know what is wrong and how to fix it. I am afraid they are going to mess things up further. Has anyone had a faulty steering wheel heater and if so I'll wellcome any comments.

Ted
Old 01-13-2004, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Re: how to fix steering wheel heater

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
faulty steering wheel heater

My steering wheel heater does not work. The car has been at the dealer for 5 days. They don't know what is wrong and how to fix it. I am afraid they are going to mess things up further. Has anyone had a faulty steering wheel heater and if so I'll wellcome any comments.

Ted

Have (YOUR) Dealer call Mercedes and request a district service manager to Inspect the Problem.....They have direct hook up in germany...They can get answers...FAST!!!
The Problem on The New Models ...is the learning curve with the techs.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
Did it stop woking after any repares?If any electric components where just replaced the problem may be wrong version coding.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See the E-class-forum, "Cold Wheather Issues".
Old 01-14-2004, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.............thank you for your responses. I read the "cold weather issues" in the E-class forum. I was able to gather that sometimes certain functions are turned off in order to save the battery. I don't think this is the problem with my car since the heated seats do work.

...........someone mentioned that it might be the switch itself an I am begining to think they are right. The light used to come on for a few secs when the switch is turned on, but now it doesn't come on.

.........I am unable to encounter a post where someone that had the problem actually had a resolution.

.........i recently installed xenons in my car, but the steering wheel heater was already not working. so, it does not look like it is a problem with wrong version coding. However even if it were, it is imposiible to intelligently communicate with the dealer. They just plug the car to the computer and read error codes and become enslaved by it all. No intuition.

Ted
Old 01-16-2004, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
ted, can you reply to my question about the rear view camera?
Old 01-17-2004, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.............The rear view camera plugs into an alpine Tv tuner that has 3 av inputs. From there it plugs into the comand via the OEM TV tuner. Everything is controlled via a marantz remote control. I did connect the camera only to show while in reverse because many times i like to look at the cars behind me while driving. I know that is weird, but quite comical to seen what others are doing etc.

Ted
Old 01-17-2004, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
so does the alpine unit have some kind of auto switch to let the display change in reverse automatically. I still don't see how the Comand Screen will change automatically.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........no. The rear view camera is always on whenever you start your engine. if you want to see behind you, you select the source into you you have the camera plugged. For instance if it was plugged into the AUX RCA jack, you simply select AUX from your remote control.

..............I think I know what you want. You can wire this to be powered on whenever you go on reverse, but you still have to select TV on your comand and also select whatever input jack that the camera is plugged into. I do not know if there is a way to make the entire comand screen automatically switch from what ever it was showing............to TV and then to the sub menu of TV1 or TV2 to show your camera. Then the comand will have to automatically reset back to what you were previously watching.

Ted
Old 01-17-2004, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
thanks Ted. That's exactly what I was looking for but I doubt that can happen.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Sunman,
I just look at your site. Very nice by the way. Where did you get the Antenna you used for your OEM Tv tuner. Secondly, I need the Pin diagram for the C2 on your Comand.

Ted
Old 01-18-2004, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
pm your email address. I have a doc file of the c2 and c1 connectors. Also, antenna for TV tuner is from Steve.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin

...........someone mentioned that it might be the switch itself an I am begining to think they are right. The light used to come on for a few secs when the switch is turned on, but now it doesn't come on.

Ted
FWIW, the light on my heated steering wheel switch stays on until I turn the switch off or turn the engine off. If the light on the switch in your car came on for only a few seconds, I'd suspect a faulty switch.