Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Cls 55 AMG w219 rough idle now won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
Help!! Cls 55 AMG w219 rough idle now won't start

Hello everyone I am looking for a little insight here on a problem that has occurred, here is a little bit of info.

2006 cls 55 amg with 135,000 KM's K&n air filters, ASP idler pulleys. No supercharger pulley. It is also fully straight piped (Cats deleted to with a x pipe in)

So i live up in canada and the car is parked in the garage for the winter time. I had aqquired another car so I parked the CLS outside for 2 weeks. Temperatures were not abnormally cold -15 degrees C at the most. The car I would regularly start throughout winter on warm days and it would start fine no problems at all.

I started the car to move it back into the garage and the idle was SUPER rough (Almost leaving the car sounding camm'ed) it then sounded like it was going to stall out so i shut it off. It now will not start. There was a cylinder 8 misfire so i checked my plugs. The cylinder 8 plugs were quite black so I replaced them as well the coil pack looked a little bent the round things that connect to the coil. I checked other plugs and they were not bad so i tried again. No go. I changed the Crank position sensor (CPS) before winter as the car would not start when hot, this problem and sound however is way different !
I have checked my
Fuel pump connection under the seat looks fine no burning
Spark plugs
Air filter
Battery upfront
battery in the back
Maf I cleaned and throttle body

I have replaced the AC compressor as well recently as well as the alternator.
Here is a video of when i try to start it.

I am thinking may be the MAF sensor, Fuel Filter, Coil pack (Would it cause this ?), o2 sensors??, Old fuel ?? could the CPS have gone bad? Before I do all of these things I would like to narrow it down rather then throw another 1500$ at it.

It really stumbles me as it started all winter, the car was parked outside for 2 weeks on a slight incline hill, and it seems to be weird that cylinder 8 misfired as its closest to the firewall.

Thanks a ton appreciate the help!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 AM

2006 cls 55 amg
Removed both rear seats, fuel pumps appear to be okay and no fuel leak at all around the rear driver seats.
Tried boosting no go.
Cleaned Throttle body/MAF no go.
I don't get how it all of a sudden did this after starting fine all winter. It must be some type of fuse or something that easily can blow/break. All fluid levels are still perfect.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
pssible ignition module, or accelerator pedal. did you scan it?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:27 AM

2006 cls 55 amg
Yes and there was only the cylinder 8 misfire. Is there anyway to test the things you listed, what really stumps me is it sat all winter never driven always started fine then all of a sudden once it was outside 2 weeks. Something the cold has affected =/ It starts to turnover just won't fully. I am frustrated and after a few more things I just may have to have it towed.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:49 AM

2006 cls 55 amg
So turns out I bought this CPS here http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercedes-Crank-Position-Sensor-CLK430-CLK500-CLK55-/130344225537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e591f0b01
I notice its not a mercedes brand, Should I order a OEM one ? Do you think the cps would cause this issue I'm having Maybe that one already went bad ? It was done in July 2014. Camshaft position sensor ? Anyway to tell
Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by 55Jeff
So turns out I bought this CPS here New Mercedes Crank Position Sensor CLK430 CLK500 CLK55 | eBay

I notice its not a mercedes brand, Should I order a OEM one ? Do you think the cps would cause this issue I'm having Maybe that one already went bad ? It was done in July 2014. Camshaft position sensor ? Anyway to tell
What did you find out? My car would just crank, but not start too. I replaced the CPS with a "Intermotor" brand from Advanced, and it still won't start. I'm wondering if I got a bad sensor out of the box.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 PM

2006 cls 55 amg
It ended up being flooded from the cold starts in winter and just to much condensation. Pulled 8 plugs and let it dry up and fired right up.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
w211 e500
Hello everyone I am looking for a little insight here on a problem that has occurred, here is a little bit of info.

2006 cls 55 amg with 135,000 KM's K&n air filters, ASP idler pulleys. No supercharger pulley. It is also fully straight piped (Cats deleted to with a x pipe in)

So i live up in canada and the car is parked in the garage for the winter time. I had aqquired another car so I parked the CLS outside for 2 weeks. Temperatures were not abnormally cold -15 degrees C at the most. The car I would regularly start throughout winter on warm days and it would start fine no problems at all.

I started the car to move it back into the garage and the idle was SUPER rough (Almost leaving the car sounding camm'ed) it then sounded like it was going to stall out so i shut it off. It now will not start. There was a cylinder 8 misfire so i checked my plugs. The cylinder 8 plugs were quite black so I replaced them as well the coil pack looked a little bent the round things that connect to the coil. I checked other plugs and they were not bad so i tried again. No go. I changed the Crank position sensor (CPS) before winter as the car would not start when hot, this problem and sound however is way different !
I have checked my
Fuel pump connection under the seat looks fine no burning
Spark plugs
Air filter
Battery upfront
battery in the back
Maf I cleaned and throttle body

I have replaced the AC compressor as well recently as well as the alternator.
Here is a video of when i try to start it.

Cls 55 Amg won't start - YouTube

I am thinking may be the MAF sensor, Fuel Filter, Coil pack (Would it cause this ?), o2 sensors??, Old fuel ?? could the CPS have gone bad? Before I do all of these things I would like to narrow it down rather then throw another 1500$ at it.

It really stumbles me as it started all winter, the car was parked outside for 2 weeks on a slight incline hill, and it seems to be weird that cylinder 8 misfired as its closest to the firewall.

Thanks a ton appreciate the help!
So am going thru the same problem but after it cool down for about a hr or so it started.. been driving around town just cruising and after 2 weeks on a red light it started shaking and i notice the left side of exhaust didnt had no pressure.. got two code p2540low pressure fuel system and cylinder 8 misfire..
Old 09-16-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
It ended up being flooded from the cold starts in winter and just to much condensation. Pulled 8 plugs and let it dry up and fired right up.

You probably have an injector leaking fuel into the cylinder on #8 when it sits. These cars don't "flood"..Be careful, if it leaks enough some serious damage can occur.