Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Star Diag System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 03:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'04 E500 4matic, '06 SL55, Cadillacs: '59 Convertible, '70 ElDorado, 3 '95 Buick Roadmaster Wagons
Mercedes Star Diag System

hello..

i have a star diag system good up to about 2014 model year..

it is not so easy to use so as to learn how to remove and replace parts...
in this case the right rocker panel on my E500 wagon..

can anyone direct me to a manual on how to use it..?

thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well Billy you are out of luck MB assumes that the techs that use their diagnostic system have been schooled and have an excellent understanding of how to diagnose and repair their vehicles. There are no how to manuals!!

I suggest you enroll in any number of technical learning programs that MB offers for their employees or try and get a part time job at a dealership!! I give it six months and you will have the system down pat!!
A better solution is sell your system and understand your limitations!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 718 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
What Plutoe says is correct. Without the factory sponsership of training (and very expensive for the corporation; figure what it would cost to pay your salary for 12 weeks plus account for the work you did not perform over those 12 weeks plus pay for your lodging and per diem). Time for self-study; it's painful but no one ever promised you a rose garden. The corporation did the hard proprietary work at their expense, all you have to do is figure out the system piggy backing on their efforts. A few months of your unguided spare time and you'll be golden. I'm still learning; I just have to dig and dig and then dig some more. Difficult and challenging, but rewarding. Keeps my mind fresh and makes me want to learn more. Now looking at the GM CTS-V2 since I feel I know the Mercedes pretty well. Time for a new challenge....
Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
Originally Posted by bill morrow
it is not so easy to use so as to learn how to remove and replace parts...
in this case the right rocker panel on my E500 wagon.
What does this have to do with star? Shouldn't you be looking at the WIS?
Old 01-22-2018, 03:44 AM

'04 E500 4matic, '06 SL55, Cadillacs: '59 Convertible, '70 ElDorado, 3 '95 Buick Roadmaster Wagons
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
What Plutoe says is correct. Without the factory sponsership of training (and very expensive for the corporation; figure what it would cost to pay your salary for 12 weeks plus account for the work you did not perform over those 12 weeks plus pay for your lodging and per diem). Time for self-study; it's painful but no one ever promised you a rose garden. The corporation did the hard proprietary work at their expense, all you have to do is figure out the system piggy backing on their efforts. A few months of your unguided spare time and you'll be golden. I'm still learning; I just have to dig and dig and then dig some more. Difficult and challenging, but rewarding. Keeps my mind fresh and makes me want to learn more. Now looking at the GM CTS-V2 since I feel I know the Mercedes pretty well. Time for a new challenge....
thanks for the cordial reply..
a year+ ago i was doing ok getting what i needed and checking stuff like the SL high pressure pump pressure but i guess turning 80 made my mind a little less flexible..
i guess i'll head to youtube and see what is there..
all i want is to see how to R&R the rocker panel on my wifes E500 wagon..
Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by atikovi
What does this have to do with star? Shouldn't you be looking at the WIS?
star, WIS, WIX whatever..
next time i'll plug the mercedes device into the car and sit in the kitchen and play with it..
it DOES connect nicely via wifi..

maybe mercedes will get their heads out of their derriere and help the weekend DIY'ers..
it will help sell more of their cars and raise the value of the used cars..
Old 01-22-2018, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Well Billy you are out of luck MB assumes that the techs that use their diagnostic system have been schooled and have an excellent understanding of how to diagnose and repair their vehicles. There are no how to manuals!!

I suggest you enroll in any number of technical learning programs that MB offers for their employees or try and get a part time job at a dealership!! I give it six months and you will have the system down pat!!
A better solution is sell your system and understand your limitations!
well plutoe, you may be a veteran and a fanatic but you are NOT my mother and she is the only one to call me billy..
Old 01-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
1995 S280 5-speed
Originally Posted by bill morrow
star, WIS, WIX whatever..
next time i'll plug the mercedes device into the car and sit in the kitchen and play with it..
it DOES connect nicely via wifi..
Star is a diagnostic system, WIS is a repair manual. Completely different systems. Plugging the mercedes device into the car wont help you remove a rocker panel.
The following users liked this post:
bill morrow (01-23-2018)