Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the real deal with motor oils?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the real deal with motor oils?

Does Benz require synthetic motor oils for all their modern cars? Or is it merely a suggestion?

Have heard stories (urban legends?) about 98' and up benzes ruining their engines after using non-synthetic oils. Personally, I just dont see using fully synthetic on cars that are not driven hard and have their oil changed every 3000 miles. But if Benz really does require them, then thats what I will do.

What about semi-synthetics?

Whats the real story here? anyone?
Old 05-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Synthetic oil is the ONLY recommended oil for modern Mercedes vehicles.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Synthetic Motor Oil is the only oil for modern Mereced Benz vehicles.

There was a class action lawsuit in which an E class owner sued MBUSA and won, he claimed that MBUSA did not tell him to use Synthetic and that because of that he had oil sludge in his engine. Am I correct. This was just recently like in 01 or 02 for some vehicles with FSS.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Fully syn. oil, Mobil 1 as a matter a fact is the only that touched my babies. Whether the car is driven hard or not, depending on where you live and the traffic, your engine is subject to temp. changes constantly. For example, when you are sitting in traffic on a hot day, your engine really heats up and your not driving the car hard at that moment, right! Reg. oil heats up and turns almost into water, you don't want that going through your engine, valves, etc. You need a syn. oil that holds it's thickness to reduce engine wear, friction, etc. and keep the engine cool. Know what I mean...
Old 05-18-2004, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
synth oil.....

Today synthetic oil is the only recommended oil for MB....however, same engines in past years were recommended and delivered with fosil oil and they're still going strong. I believe the extended service intervals require the use of synthetic oil because it lasts longer rather than a higher degree of protection being needed ...although synth does offer it.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 320
All synthetics are NOT approved by MB

Even some Mobil 1's are not approved for certain MY MB.

Read your manual

Here may be a helpful list of approved oils if you know the MB oil requirement

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html
Old 05-18-2004, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally posted by MB Fanatic
Synthetic Motor Oil is the only oil for modern Mereced Benz vehicles.

There was a class action lawsuit in which an E class owner sued MBUSA and won, he claimed that MBUSA did not tell him to use Synthetic and that because of that he had oil sludge in his engine. Am I correct. This was just recently like in 01 or 02 for some vehicles with FSS.
I got the settlement for the class action suit that was for 99 and 00 vehicles with FSS. When MB didn't require the use of synthetic and the FSS was calling for service in 13 to 15k miles, some owner questioned the use of dino oil for such a long interval.

MB settled and gave a coupon for an oil change and a 100k mile/10 year engine warranty against sludge when using synthetic.

I had been using only Redline 10w30 after the first thousand miles, so I wasn't worried and am still not.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Looking thorugh all my records regarding my 01' E320, I found a letter I got from MBUSA regarding the settlement and the extension of the engine warranty. So does it mean that 01' models also get the extended engine warranty or just certain 01' models?
Old 05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
How about Mobil 1 0-40 it says on it its for european applications.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I got some things wrong...

Originally posted by MB Fanatic
Looking thorugh all my records regarding my 01' E320, I found a letter I got from MBUSA regarding the settlement and the extension of the engine warranty. So does it mean that 01' models also get the extended engine warranty or just certain 01' models?
I had to find one of my letters (Sept 02) and it refers to only 98 and 99 vehicles with FSS and for the settlement, they gave a $35 coupon towards an A or B service and a 150k mile/10 year warranty from date of purchase for oil sludging or related engine damage.

In March 01, MB wrote to use only synthetics when following FSS intervals. My 01 had a sticker saying to use Mobil 1 and I guess 00 cars probably said the same thing. Your owner's manual should also have the reference, so you could have gotten a letter for information only and no extended warranty.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Im going to call my new service advisor at MBZ Laguna Niguel and see what he says.

I refuse to take my car back to Fletcher Jones (somehow the front right headlight broke while it was in their service bay, and they claim that it was broken when I brought the car in, they replaced it for me at no charge but I had to do a lot of arguing with the service advisor). Ill let you know what Nader Sadhigi (MBZ Laguna Niguel service advisor) says about my 01' E320.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
there is no reason not to use synthetics, it is nothing but beneficial for your mb.