Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/ESP Lights - SAM Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 C43
ABS/ESP Lights - SAM Code

Hello All,

2018 GLE350 went in for a rim replacement (front passenger side) and replacement of the center console touch pad. Driving the car home from the dealership the dashboard lit up with ABS lights and other errors. Turn back to the dealer and we scanned...came back with the following issues...

Front SAM Code:
- C107D86 - circuit 54 implausible

ESP CU:
- C018300 Brake light short to ground
- C030A00 S9/1 brake lamp switch is implausible

We drove the vehicle with the diagnostic tools hooked up and it seems that the "High" switch is showing Actuated in the ESP when the brake pedal is not depressed and that is throwing the codes. "low" switch functions properly. Its intermittent but happens quickly once vehicle is started. Replaced the brake light switch and that did not correct the issue. We also removed the entire center console and tried to drive the car with all those disconnected and it did not correct the issue.

My hunch is something was wacked when the rim was replaced...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,490 Likes on 2,326 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
ESP got upset....

Originally Posted by Jackson139
Hello All,

2018 GLE350 went in for a rim replacement (front passenger side) and replacement of the center console touch pad.
Driving the car home from the dealership the dashboard lit up with ABS lights and other errors. Turn back to the dealer and we scanned...came back with the following issues...

Front SAM Code:
- C107D86 - circuit 54 implausible

ESP CU:
- C018300 Brake light short to ground
- C030A00 S9/1 brake lamp switch is implausible

We drove the vehicle with the diagnostic tools hooked up and it seems that the "High" switch is showing Actuated in the ESP when the brake pedal is not depressed and that is throwing the codes. "low" switch functions properly. Its intermittent but happens quickly once vehicle is started. Replaced the brake light switch and that did not correct the issue. We also removed the entire center console and tried to drive the car with all those disconnected and it did not correct the issue.

My hunch is something was wacked when the rim was replaced...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
If you want to double-check your No1 suspicion: compare wheel speed sensor data under ESP.

I think the answer lies between SAM & ESP. I side with F-SAM driving ESP crazy with bad data... try to reboot this car with a 5mn battery disconnect.

> Searching for the hidden cause:
Then reset OBD then scan for a couple days driving cycles to see what's happening throughout your buses.

Look at ESP "live data" to see what bad input may be causing it to error out. ESP is a honest module built tough to be reliable, you can bank something external is the upsetting cause.

Follow the trail...

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-21-2022 at 03:55 AM.